May 23, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Like most left-handed hitters Adam Dunn has been much weaker versus left-handed pitchers throughout his career, but he has still been an asset against southpaws with an .810 OPS that is, for instance, higher than the overall career OPS of guys like Ichiro Suzuki, Ivan Rodriguez, Michael Young, Vernon Wells, Miguel Tejada, Adrian Beltre, and Torii Hunter.
However, so far this season Dunn has been helpless against left-handed pitching. In fact, STATS Inc. passed along a startling stat: Dunn has yet to get a hit off a lefty in 30 at-bats, striking out 13 times while getting on base three times via walks.
He’s also not clobbering right-handed pitching like he usually does, which is why Dunn has hit just .190 with four homers and a .653 OPS through 40 games of a four-year, $56 million contract with the White Sox. Despite the 0-for-30 against lefties and overall struggles, manager Ozzie Guillen said yesterday that he’s sticking with Dunn as Chicago’s third-place hitter:
When I bench him, I’m going to bench him for a day off, not because I’m punishing him. What can I do? This guy is very important in our lineup. We’re just waiting for him to hit, and the only way he’s going to hit is to play him.
Dunn’s long swing and prolific strikeout totals perhaps make him more prone to slumps than most hitters his caliber, but Guillen is absolutely right. There’s no reason to overreact to 40 bad games from a 31-year-old hitter who’s topped an .850 OPS in seven straight seasons and has never finished with an OPS below .800.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 26
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 7
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)