May 23, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Like most left-handed hitters Adam Dunn has been much weaker versus left-handed pitchers throughout his career, but he has still been an asset against southpaws with an .810 OPS that is, for instance, higher than the overall career OPS of guys like Ichiro Suzuki, Ivan Rodriguez, Michael Young, Vernon Wells, Miguel Tejada, Adrian Beltre, and Torii Hunter.
However, so far this season Dunn has been helpless against left-handed pitching. In fact, STATS Inc. passed along a startling stat: Dunn has yet to get a hit off a lefty in 30 at-bats, striking out 13 times while getting on base three times via walks.
He’s also not clobbering right-handed pitching like he usually does, which is why Dunn has hit just .190 with four homers and a .653 OPS through 40 games of a four-year, $56 million contract with the White Sox. Despite the 0-for-30 against lefties and overall struggles, manager Ozzie Guillen said yesterday that he’s sticking with Dunn as Chicago’s third-place hitter:
When I bench him, I’m going to bench him for a day off, not because I’m punishing him. What can I do? This guy is very important in our lineup. We’re just waiting for him to hit, and the only way he’s going to hit is to play him.
Dunn’s long swing and prolific strikeout totals perhaps make him more prone to slumps than most hitters his caliber, but Guillen is absolutely right. There’s no reason to overreact to 40 bad games from a 31-year-old hitter who’s topped an .850 OPS in seven straight seasons and has never finished with an OPS below .800.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)