May 23, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Adam LaRoche has been playing through a partially torn shoulder labrum since being diagnosed with the injury in the middle of spring training, but a .172 batting average and .546 OPS through 43 games has motivated the Nationals first baseman to seek a second opinion.
Mark Giannotto of the Washington Post reports that LaRoche will be examined by a specialist today after being scratched from the starting lineup yesterday, and manager Jim Riggleman indicated that the injury has worsened:
He’s not progressing at all. He’s getting treatment every day and he’s sore. He’s saying it doesn’t affect his hitting, but he feels like there are a lot of balls he should be crushing and he’s just not doing that. He’s been in slumps before, but this just has a different feel to it so we’re gonna get it checked out further.
When asked if season-ending surgery was a possibility, Riggleman replied: “That’ll depend on what the doctor says tomorrow and how does it feel tomorrow.” LaRoche signed a two-year, $16 million deal with the Nationals as a free agent after the Diamondbacks declined their $7.5 million option on him.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 12
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?