May 23, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Adam LaRoche has been playing through a partially torn shoulder labrum since being diagnosed with the injury in the middle of spring training, but a .172 batting average and .546 OPS through 43 games has motivated the Nationals first baseman to seek a second opinion.
Mark Giannotto of the Washington Post reports that LaRoche will be examined by a specialist today after being scratched from the starting lineup yesterday, and manager Jim Riggleman indicated that the injury has worsened:
He’s not progressing at all. He’s getting treatment every day and he’s sore. He’s saying it doesn’t affect his hitting, but he feels like there are a lot of balls he should be crushing and he’s just not doing that. He’s been in slumps before, but this just has a different feel to it so we’re gonna get it checked out further.
When asked if season-ending surgery was a possibility, Riggleman replied: “That’ll depend on what the doctor says tomorrow and how does it feel tomorrow.” LaRoche signed a two-year, $16 million deal with the Nationals as a free agent after the Diamondbacks declined their $7.5 million option on him.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)