May 23, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Adam LaRoche has been playing through a partially torn shoulder labrum since being diagnosed with the injury in the middle of spring training, but a .172 batting average and .546 OPS through 43 games has motivated the Nationals first baseman to seek a second opinion.
Mark Giannotto of the Washington Post reports that LaRoche will be examined by a specialist today after being scratched from the starting lineup yesterday, and manager Jim Riggleman indicated that the injury has worsened:
He’s not progressing at all. He’s getting treatment every day and he’s sore. He’s saying it doesn’t affect his hitting, but he feels like there are a lot of balls he should be crushing and he’s just not doing that. He’s been in slumps before, but this just has a different feel to it so we’re gonna get it checked out further.
When asked if season-ending surgery was a possibility, Riggleman replied: “That’ll depend on what the doctor says tomorrow and how does it feel tomorrow.” LaRoche signed a two-year, $16 million deal with the Nationals as a free agent after the Diamondbacks declined their $7.5 million option on him.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)