May 23, 2011, 6:35 PM EDT
Adam LaRoche got his second opinion Tuesday. And it’s not that he’s ugly, too.
LaRoche, who was diagnosed with a partially torn labrum back in spring training, rest his throwing shoulder for at least a couple of weeks, CSN Washington’s Mark Zuckerman reports. Surgery was not recommended, but he was placed on the disabled list prior to Monday’s game.
Expectations are that the Nationals will activate Rick Ankiel in his place on Tuesday.
LaRoche has a .172 average that ranks second worst in the majors among qualified batters. Only Jonny Gomes, at .171, is worse. His .258 slugging percentage ranks dead last.
The Nationals don’t have any great options for replacing him at first base, but it’s not like their production from the position could get any worse. Michael Morse figures to pick up most of the starts, with Matt Stairs playing occasionally against right-handers.
Ankiel, who has been supplanted by Roger Bernadina in center field, can get some of the at-bats in left that had been going to Morse.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)