Boras: “These statements are not indicative of the Fred Wilpon I know”

May 23, 2011, 2:32 PM EDT

Boras thinking

David Wright took the high road in response to Fred Wilpon’s comments in The New Yorker. Now Carlos Beltran‘s agent — the inimitable Scott Boras — offers a somewhat more pointed, but still far from angry response:

“These statements are not indicative of the Fred Wilpon I know … If you’re a member of a team or an organization and respect one another, any evaluation or internal opinion of players currently on the team should stay there. If you want success and optimal performance, it’s best to keep those in-house.”

He went on to say that he’s always had a good relationship with the Wilpons and notes that if Beltran has a specific response to the comments he’s certainly welcome to make them. My guess would be, however, that Beltran is well-advised by his agent and won’t say anything crazy.

In other words, help us Jose Reyes! You’re our only hope to turn this argle bargle into a full-blown foofaraw!

1. halladaysbicepts - May 23, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Is this a suprise? Of course Boras would take the middle road. He wants to suck the Mets out of more money for future signings.

“Not the Wilpon that I know.” Guess what, Scott, he’s sick of paying your loser clients millions that don’t play the game the right way on the field.

• Old Gator - May 23, 2011 at 3:20 PM

How true. The Wilpon he knows is a schmuck.

2. sdelmonte - May 23, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Boras has a relationship with the Mets? Anyone know if any of his clients ever signed with them?

• Chris Fiorentino - May 23, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Was this sarcasm? If so, what was the point?

• sdelmonte - May 23, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Not sarcasm. Just curious as to what work of working relationship Boras actually would currently have with the Mets. The only Boras client I know offhand who talked to the Mets was A-Rod, and those negotiations were not conducive to any future relations.

• nyyfaninbama - May 23, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Maybe you should actually read the post. It tells you who on the Mets is Boras’ client.

• rebarratige - May 23, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Read the second sentence of the post … ?

3. mercyflush - May 23, 2011 at 3:44 PM

are you an idiot? in the first paragraph of this post it says that he’s Beltran’s agent, and that’s why he’s chiming in…

• sdelmonte - May 23, 2011 at 4:05 PM

My mistake.

4. gogigantos - May 23, 2011 at 3:46 PM

pretty sure signing Beltran has worked fine,, even if not in his mind, why would the boss trash himself for making the deal? Last checked, Boras wasn’t pointing a gun to anyone’s head in negotiations. So, who wants to sign with the current owners now?

5. gogigantos - May 23, 2011 at 3:49 PM

much less sign up for season or single game tickets,,
    an ownership group on the way out? glad for all the press Mr. McCourt is getting,,
    wish I was in NY,,love a MLB ballpark half or less full, intimate and fun,, go Mets :)

6. Justin - May 23, 2011 at 4:55 PM

I just loathe Scott Boras. I guess he must be good though because I clicked on this story just because of how much I hate him. He even looks like a slime ball in the picture. (Click my name and check out my blog)

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3422)