Chase Utley batting second in return to Phillies’ lineup

May 23, 2011, 4:17 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v Arizona Diamondbacks Getty Images

Chase Utley is back from the disabled list after missing the first 46 games with a knee injury and he’s hitting second in the Phillies’ lineup tonight against right-hander Bronson Arroyo and the Reds.

Utley has hit third for most of his career but does have 168 career starts in the No. 2 spot, including nine last season.

Tonight manager Charlie Manuel is leading off Jimmy Rollins and batting Placido Polanco third, which is one way to get a right-handed bat in between Utley and fellow lefties Ryan Howard and Raul Ibanez.

1. halladaysbicepts - May 23, 2011 at 4:25 PM

As I said earlier in another blog entry, I’m OK with him batting second for the time being. Work him slowly into the lineup and split up the lefties.

With that being said, for the love of god, they need to start hitting. It’s time, boys!!!

2. bjavie - May 23, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Splitting up the lefties is pretty much a must with the way things are going. Even Cholly has to admit that.

But, still they have the best record in the league, so maybe I am just plain greedy when it comes to wanting the team I root for to actually play well, in addition to winning. Sure an ugly win is still a win, but it’s ugly, too. I watched 2 innings of Sunday’s game, and decided that mowing the lawn would be more fun. I won’t re-up my MLB.tv until I know there is something worth watching.

• halladaysbicepts - May 23, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Total truth in what you say, my brother. However, as I have learned on this board with fellow Phillies fans, if you complain about anything that goes on with this team, they will assasinate you.

Your not being greedy. You expect to have a balanced team, as I do. It’s OK to critique this team.

Your a good and knowlegeable fan for doing so.

• bjavie - May 23, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Yeah, I finally had to sign up. I spend enough time reading this site, I might as well throw my two cents out there, too.

I don’t mind people ragging Philly fans (except the Eagles – jump on them all you want!), as a native I admit we deserve at leat a portion of what we get.

Back in 2007 I told a Red Sox fan I couldn’t stand them and the immediate comment was, “Jealous?” I now know how he felt back then and know that’s pretty much the case with the Phils’ fans now. I hear it everyday, and heard it 9 or 10 times on Saturday – I live in Dallas and you would think that Cliff Lee shot Kennedy! Rangers fans (all 12 of them) hate the Phillies!

• halladaysbicepts - May 23, 2011 at 5:27 PM

bjavie,

Please stick on this board. I am trying to put a band of Phillies fans together who do not admonish other Phillies fans that criticize any facit of this team (meaning the offense, which is just offensive). Stick with this belief that’s it’s OK to do so as a fan, and you’ll go far, my brother.

• macjacmccoy - May 24, 2011 at 4:15 PM

“Speaking of Cholly – I constantly hear that he’s a “hitting guru.” I hear it from just ask anyone who covers the game. “He knows hitting.” “He’s a hitter’s coach.” Just as the 2010 Cowboys obviously weren’t as “talented” as everyone kept saying they were, eventually, when a “hitting guru’s” team can’t hit going back to last season, you have to come to the conclusion that maybe he really isn’t all that great of a coach.”

Do you have a clue what your talking about?

The Phillies had 1 of the best offenses in baseball for about 5 years and had there 1st down year last year like almost every other team in baseball (year of the pitcher). Even though they really didnt have a down year last year. They were the 7th ranked team in baseball in runs scored last year. And they did that with an offense that was decimated by injuries. I think Werth was the only position player that didnt go on the DL. And this season has just started and the Phillies offense has been playing without there best hitters.

But never mind all that I guess its easier for you to whine and complain and call a guy a bad coach and question his ability to do his job then to temper yourself and do some research to see if what your claiming is actually true. Your baseball IQ is just a smidge under Forrest Gump.

3. CJ - May 23, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Splitting up Utley and Howard is the way it should be. Be it with Victorino, Rollins, or Polanco with the others batting 1st and 5th works for me, I really don’t have much preference from there, so long as it isn’t Polly leading off

• bjavie - May 23, 2011 at 5:24 PM

I never thought I would like the “Larussa” but lets try it:

Rollins (S)
      Utley (L)
      Polanco (R)
      Howard (L)
      Ruiz (R)
      Ibanez/Brown (L)
      Franciso/Mayberry (R)
      Pitcher
      Victorino (S)

• halladaysbicepts - May 23, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Hey, why not, anything that helps this struggling offense is good right now.

4. cup0pizza - May 23, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Yawn.

5. mercyflush - May 24, 2011 at 7:55 AM

cup0pizza is absolutely addicted to the Phillies. he posts on every Phillies thread.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate