David Wright takes the high road in response to the Wilpon comments

May 23, 2011, 12:32 PM EDT

Wright_David

The Mets are off today, so there doesn’t necessarily have to be a meet-the-press moment for the main players in Fred Wilpon-a-palooza until another day of the news cycle has passed. But at least one of the players called out by Fred Wilpon in the New Yorker profile — David Wrighthas responded. And he has done so in a manner that suggests that maybe — just maybe — this could blow over with less craziness than one might expect:

“Fred is a good man and is obviously going through some difficult times. There is nothing more productive I can say at this time.”

I wonder if Reyes and Beltran will follow Wright’s lead and play the pity card rather then take a swipe back.  They’d be smart to, but really, I can’t say how I’d respond if my boss showed such a lack of discretion in a big feature article in the New Yorker.

Either way, the real damage here is the internal damage in terms of how the clubhouse responds and whether these sorts of comments by the owner sours players to coming to New York and all of that.  The responses of Wright, Beltran, Reyes and others, however, will likely determine the kind of shelf life this all has as a media story.

1. Jonny 5 - May 23, 2011 at 12:37 PM

But can Wright actually say “Well you go tell Fred Wilpon that he can go F$#^ himself” ?

• rebarratige - May 23, 2011 at 1:29 PM

People often shoot their mouths off in irrational, self-destructive ways. Didn’t Fred Wilpon just show us this?

2. halladaysbicepts - May 23, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Fred Wilpon was exactly right with his comments and he should have said them. The three Muts in question are heartless dogs. Wright has taken the high road because he has no choice. As far as Reyes and Beltran, they have heard worse critism and are used to it anyway.

Sandy Alderson would be wise to get rid of all three of these underachievers by the trade deadline. I think he will try his darnest to do so.

I hope that the Phillies will not be involved, though. Even with their desparate need of another bat, I don’t want any of these 3 losers anywhere near Citizens Bank Park, except in the visitors clubhouse.

• kellyb9 - May 23, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I agree that many of them have underachieved. However, I can’t help but wonder why anyone would want to play a professional sport in NY. They say we criticize players her in Philly, but I don’t think it compares to the level of which players are scrutinized in New York. Everyone from managers, owners, and general manager openly blindside players in the press. I’m sure it happens in-house, but it seems to stay there (for the most part). I’m not saying Philly is the good example, but its the only one I really know. I’m sure playing for cities where fans and ownership doesn’t care is probably just as worse.

• halladaysbicepts - May 23, 2011 at 12:58 PM

You know why they criticize their players so much in New York? Because they CARE!!! And, rightfully so. As a Phillies fan who has lived in Philly my whole life, I appreciate this because NY is a hard-nosed city like Philly. As fans, we have a right to critisize the players who play for our teams. That why cities like Philly, NY, and Boston have the best fans in the world.

If there are players who can’t deal with it while making millions of dollars, then they are pathetic and I wouldn’t want them playing for my team.

• kellyb9 - May 23, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Listen I agree when it comes to fans complaining about player production, Philly is (arguably)second to none. I just think airing your laundry in public is a bad idea, and I see a whole lot of it happening in NY.

• CJ - May 23, 2011 at 12:59 PM

If the price is right I want the Phillies involved for any one of them. If they took more than one, then yeah, I might be inclined to agree with you, but with a locker room full of guys like Halladay, Lee, Utley, Polanco, Ibanez, etc., any one of those guys would fall in line with the leadership already here. The problem they have in NY is that they’re looked at as the leadership, and they’re just not.

Ask Mike Richards and the Flyers how that works out when a dominant leader (Pronger) isn’t in the locker room. When Pronger’s around, no one worries about the C on Richard’s chest, but when Pronger’s out, the problem magnifies. Same goes with the Mets. The Phils however, would be another story. I personally think having a Wright or Reyes surrounded by the Phillies current leadership would cause them to flourish and be downright scary.

• bleedgreen - May 23, 2011 at 1:03 PM

J.Roll and Uncle Cholly wouldn’t take no shit from any of those guys. I think that, without a doubt, Rollins is the leader of that team, regardless of stats.

• halladaysbicepts - May 23, 2011 at 1:06 PM

I somewhat agree with you, but the hockey comparison is a big stretch. Those players are a different breed. They are like a bunch of little girls, no matter how tough their sport is. Hockey having to have a captain is a joke!!! And Mike Richards, from all I have read and heard, is certainly not the guy who should be one.

Just go out and play the sport. Leadership is overrated, no matter what sport. You either have talent and desire, or you don’t.

• CJ - May 23, 2011 at 1:08 PM

very true bleedgreen, but I left him off that list on purpose. I don’t see him sticking around much longer. His productivity is waning, and this team needs a true leadoff guy. Reyes would fill the opening at SS and the leadoff issue nicely IMO.

I just think J Roll won’t be worth what he’ll be asking for, and the Phillies won’t treat him like the Yankees treated Jeter (nor do I think they should). Reyes will probably be asking for like 3 or 4 mil a year than Rollins and I think the increase in productivity would be worth that.

3. CJ - May 23, 2011 at 1:10 PM

wait, bicepts and I even somewhat agree?! Are we sure the world didn’t end on Saturday?

• halladaysbicepts - May 23, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Hey, not everything I say is evil, but my opinion is always fact.

I’m just waiting to hear what this Harold Camping has to say now that the world is continuing past this Saturday.

• cur68 - May 23, 2011 at 1:29 PM

(Dear god, why am I doing this?)

‘bicepts my boy; by definition an opinion is not a fact. Opinions can be based on facts or derived from facts but are not, in and of themselves, factual…

For a guy who does so much complaining about lack of hitting you’d think you’d be all over Wright. He can hit you know. He enjoys a .302 lifetime BA. A change of scenery on a good team with some excellent pitching would probably see a real return to form for him, I’d bet.

Ditto Beltran.

Why you wouldn’t want Reyes is beyond me. As far as I can tell the Mets fans love him. He’s always a threat to steal, has a .302 BA, and holy crap can he play some D. FYI: These are good things.

I don’t know what troubles me more about you; your willful blindness to how good your team is or your willful blindness to want to do anything about fixing what what you complain about.

• halladaysbicepts - May 23, 2011 at 1:40 PM

cur68,

(1) My opinions are fact. It’s as simple as that.

(2) David Wright is a Bobby Abreu type player. Puts up decent stats, but is not clutch enough for my liking. I watch alot of Mets baseball and can tell you this is the case.

(3) Jose Reyes is a player that is injury prone and is prone to not playing the game the right way and only plays at times when he wants to.

(4) Beltran—-see Jose Reyes (3).

(5) Fixing the Phillies—-there is nothing, short of a trade, that will fix the offense anytime soon. I’m not the GM. I can’t fix it. But, I can point out what I see lacking on the field.

• cur68 - May 23, 2011 at 1:54 PM

‘bicepts;
        (1) No.

(2) You want hitting. Wright hits. Either say you’d take him or SHUT UP about your teams hitting.

(3) According to you, you pay attention to these stats; BA, W, HR & E. If you bother to check Reyes is doing very well in 3 of 4 (I’m only counting real stats not “games watched”). If you count steals (like, why would you ignore that as a stat? WTF?) he’s even better. So you make no sense again.

(4) Beltran; see (3)

(5)The fix is Reyes, Wright and/or Beltran. If you had the power to make that happen you’d be a fool not…wait, I think I see the problem right here…

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 23, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Puts up decent stats, but is not clutch enough for my liking

Yeah, I’d much prefer a player like Ryan Howard, who struck out 13 times in 25 plate appearances in the ’09 WS. Now that’s clutch!

Your opinion is based on how you feel about a player, not fact.

• CJ - May 23, 2011 at 2:22 PM

ah, yes, the world has been restored to its proper state I see. That was a close one, I was about to institutionalize myself if this continued any longer.

4. gregbeau - May 23, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Fred Wilpon’s comments, while perhaps unguarded, cannot be disputed. Wright is a very good player and from all accounts a good man. But he is not a superstar. He has not demonstrated those numbers so far. Reyes is a more talented player and can totally arouse a ballclub with his exciting play. Whether he gets Crawford-like numbers depends upon whether he can stay healthy, something he has not demonstrated he can do consistently. Beltran’s assessment is something with which few can argue. Again, a good player but one for which the Mets overpaid based on subsequent performance.

I found the article fascinating because it gave me a view of the Mets ownership I never had seen before. Believe it or not, I agreed with most of what Wilpon said and finished the article feeling for him and his family and his business partner. The media beasts may well try to make something of his honesty in order to stir the pot and generate ratings and mouse clicks, but shame on them if that is why they do it. It is a sad commentary that a person’s honest assessment of their busienss can no longer be said for fear of creating a media firestorm.

• halladaysbicepts - May 23, 2011 at 1:20 PM

I agree with everything that you said. He is the owner and has every right to rip his players publicly or privately.

The media always tries to pit owners vs. their players every chance they get to create a story. This is not breaking news, though. The Mets fans and their front office has had to put up with this dreck on the field for years now.

• bigharold - May 23, 2011 at 5:08 PM

“It is a sad commentary that a person’s honest assessment of their business can no longer be said for fear of creating a media firestorm.”

True to a point. As the owner he’s entitled to his opinion and to express them as well. But, it would be wise do so in a way that didn’t cause trouble. Frankly, I thought his comments were dead on but also somewhat unnecessary.

5. professorperry - May 23, 2011 at 1:17 PM

“But really, I can’t say how I’d respond if my boss showed such a lack of discretion in a big feature article in the New Yorker.”

Oh come on, if you got mildly trashed in a New Yorker article you’d be running around outside, pantsless, screaming, “I was in the New Yorker!! I was in the New Yorker!!”

6. thefalcon123 - May 23, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Beltran: 4.7 WAR average since 2005
    Reyes: 4 WAR average since 2005
    Wright: 5 WAR average sine 2005.

It seems like Wilpon pinned all the Mets problems on three people who are actually not at fault at all.

• halladaysbicepts - May 23, 2011 at 1:22 PM

WAR is the biggest BS stat in the history of stats. It tells nothing.

• Gardenhire's Cat - May 23, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Actually it shows how many more wins a player would give a team as opposed to a “replacement level”, or minor league/bench player at that position

• thefalcon123 - May 23, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Yes, WAR and the correlation with games won is merely a coincidence. I’m sure the Mets 2006 success had everything to do with Steve Trachsel’s 15 wins and 07 would have been avoided if Carlos Beltran had the heart of Paul La Duca.

• rebarratige - May 23, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Wright’s average of 5 WAR since 2005 is more than offset by his -5.43 on the Grit-O-Meter, and his pitiful .054 Weighted Clutchiness Average. Also, his Ultimate Hustle Rating has been trending downward lately.

• halladaysbicepts - May 23, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Batting average
      Walks
      Homeruns
      Errors
      Your eyes, watching the player day in and day out

• cur68 - May 23, 2011 at 1:37 PM

So, uh, games watched is a STAT now? In that case I have a 0.785 GW for Blue Jays games. I’m holding out for free agency…

• rebarratige - May 23, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Your eyes are a statistic?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 23, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Batting average
        Walks
        Homeruns
        Errors
        Your eyes, watching the player day in and day out

Quoting this so every time you discuss a player you have no clue what you are talking about.

• bigxrob - May 23, 2011 at 2:12 PM

cur68, how did you calculate your GW number for Jays games watched? I feel like I need to find out my number of Phillies games watched to see if I’m “Fan” enough.

Also, would xGW take into account games watched in person?

• halladaysbicepts - May 23, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Your eyes is the greatest statistic of all….it tells you what can’t be provided in a box score.

How hard a ballplayer plays. Is he diving for ground balls? Guaging baseball players is more than just looking at their stats. Ask any baseball scout.

• wonkypenguin - May 23, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Joe Morgan is in da house!!!

• cur68 - May 23, 2011 at 3:56 PM

bigxrob; we’d have to ask ‘bicepts to get a ruling on this one. Its his stat, after all. I think, though, that it might wind up being a bit like WAR; subject to how you work it out.

So xGW for “Games Watched in Person”; yes (pending ‘bicept’s approval).

xGW/Arr for “Games Watched In Person and did something and got arrested”; for Phillies Phans

and
        xGW/Taze….I don’t need to explain that one do I?

• halladaysbicepts - May 23, 2011 at 4:32 PM

cur68,

Continue to mock me, if you will. I give you an A for ingenuity when it comes to your humor of Philly.

The bottom line is that I have a disdain for sabremetrics. These, in my opinion, are used by people that (1) are fantasy league people, (2) hardly watch baseball and only look at boxscores/stat sheets and try to come across as baseball knowlegeable, and (3) probably never played baseball in their lives on any level.

Sounds about right, doesn’t it?

PS. GW stat (games watched), I rule in favor of. The other (2) stats I am against.

• bigxrob - May 23, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I would score pretty low on the get arrested/tased metric.

I try not to ask bicept anything, because really, what good can come from that.

• Paul Zummo - May 23, 2011 at 10:36 PM

The bottom line is that I have a disdain for sabremetrics. These, in my opinion, are used by people that . . . (2) hardly watch baseball and only look at boxscores/stat sheets and try to come across as baseball knowlegeable,

This has to be the dumbest argument I’ve ever heard, and it’s an oft-repeated trope. So let me get this straight. People who don’t even watch baseball and aren’t really all that interested in the product are simultaneously the very people who spend hours pouring over stats sheets and devising ways to evaluate players in a unique way. Do I have that right? Does the contradiction in this viewpoint even slightly register with you, or does thinking outside of your simplistic cliched box cause massive migraines?

• nym712 - May 24, 2011 at 9:43 AM

“There are only 5 stats that anyone needs to look at to see what type of ballplayer you have:

Batting average
        Walks
        Homeruns
        Errors
        Your eyes, watching the player day in and day out”

Haha? Is this for real?

Besides the three guys mentioned would stack up pretty well in these categories.

7. joecool16280 - May 23, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Fred is sort of “Write”.

8. sdelmonte - May 23, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I will note that Wright is flying to LA today for a second opinion about his broken back. He’s probably more worried about that than anything else.

(And I wish him a lot of luck flying with that back. He might be in first class, but I can attest to the lack of fun of being in an airplane seat for five hours with a back that wants lie down on the floor.)

9. gogigantos - May 23, 2011 at 3:40 PM

for long have loved reading Calcatrerra and chronies
    am close to no longer reading the comments,,, same Phillie and Yankee centric crowd with the same of s**t on the keyboard and less to say than I care to read much longer,, a few I will miss when I finally quit reading you all rant about your small worlds
    I truly hope my Gigantos can sh** on your parade one more year, curious what looney bin you all end up in when it all shakes out different than you think it is destined to,,
    facts, opinions and grammar all gone to hell for the sake of snark and bile,, tired,, just might stick to the copy and be done with all you all bitter loser wanna be important turds,,,, somehow you all make Wilpon sound almost smart,, and that is sad, cuz he aint,, another classless rich fool taken for a ride,, smart cuz you all along for it,, I hope your Yanks and Phightins aren’t taking you all for a ride you can’t recover from,, f**k, just can’t say how tired I am of all the peanut gallery’s predictable rant here,,, as much as I love Calcatrerra’s gig, I am tired of you all ranting about nothing more than your shallow selves,,
    wait
    maybe I should get more of a life
    f**************k me

• halladaysbicepts - May 23, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Go eat a bag of d**ks, you loser Giants fan. Lack of grammar? Look at you post. You make my posts look like Shakesperian quality writing.

• gogigantos - May 23, 2011 at 3:57 PM

love a Phightin getting riled,, can’t really call us losers can you?,, see you in October and hope your sanity can take another jolt,, grammar is fitting for the thread bubba :)

• cur68 - May 23, 2011 at 4:00 PM

‘bicepts my boy, do calm down. That was clearly written by a man who understands him some irony.

• paperlions - May 23, 2011 at 5:34 PM

It is “suck a bag of dicks”, not “eat a bag of dicks”….sheesh….then again, screwing that up kept your record perfect as nothing else you’ve posted in the comments section has been right either.

• halladaysbicepts - May 23, 2011 at 5:49 PM

paperlions,

Just google eat a bag of d**ks. It is a correct phrase, street-wise, idiot.

Why do you respond to me if you have such disdain for my comments? I’ll tell you one thing, you may not respect my opinion when it comes to baseball, but I will always tell it like I see it. I have read your comments as well and you do not appear to be very knowledgeable at all when it comes to baseball. Get a pair of stones and start watching the game.

• halladaysbicepts - May 23, 2011 at 4:05 PM

You know what? (1) your team will not make the postseason this year. I guarantee it. (2) I don’t care if the Giants win the next 10 World Series. Your city is soft when it comes to your fanbase. You complain that this is a biased NY/Philly board. Where are all the Giants fans? Don’t blame the cities like New York, Philly and Boston for their passion. Start looking at your own city’s passion for the game of baseball.

• cur68 - May 23, 2011 at 5:11 PM

I do believe you might have won that one there ‘bicepts. Well done. See, no need to even call him an idiot or anything.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3317)