Finally given some protection in the lineup, Jose Bautista homers in first at-bat

May 23, 2011, 7:28 PM EDT

The slump is over Reuters

Jose Bautista, who went four straight at-bats Sunday without homering, got back in the swing of things Monday, taking Bartolo Colon deep in the first inning against the Yankees.

Bautista now has 18 1/2 homers this season.  We’re giving the other half of this one to Yunel Escobar, who had Colon shaking on the mound with his presence in the on-deck circle (though it might have been jiggling, we’re honestly not sure).

That’s because manager John Farrell made a switch today, dropping Escobar from the top of the lineup to fourth as a replacement for Aaron Hill.

Rajai Davis (.298 OBP) and Corey Patterson (.307 OBP) both made outs ahead of Bautista, so the homer was a solo shot.  But that’s a small price to pay.  It’s not like Bautista is ever going to see anything to hit if there’s guys on base for him.

Escobar (.363 OBP) went on to single with the bases empty and two outs before being stranded.

1. deathmonkey41 - May 23, 2011 at 7:55 PM

On the flip side, Jorge Posada proves once again to be an easy out. Ugh.

• deathmonkey41 - May 23, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Seriously- they need to replace Posada. What good is a DH that can’t hit exactly?

2. frankvzappa - May 23, 2011 at 8:03 PM

We need a new article every time Jose Bautista hits a home run? It’s gonna be a long year.

• deathmonkey41 - May 23, 2011 at 9:55 PM

And Jorge grounds out again with runners on to end the inning. Seriously- this Girardi loyalty thing is getting tired.

3. baseballisboring - May 23, 2011 at 8:12 PM

I keep waiting for him to slow down. Is this just……is this just his level? Dare we start imagining he’s just a consistent 50 HR hitter? That’s no conclusion to just jump to but damn…what happened?

4. proudlycanadian - May 23, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Bautista could use a healthy Adam Lind hitting behind him. Get well soon Lind.

• cur68 - May 23, 2011 at 8:27 PM

I miss Adam Lind so very much…I shall alter a tune for him. So to the theme from Underdog…

There’s a need to fear! Adam Lind is not here!
      when pitchers in this world appear
      and their breaking balls they should fear
      and frighten all who see or hear
      the cry goes up both far and near
      for Adam Lind! Adaaaaam Liiiiiiiind!

speed of lightning, roar of thunder
      fighting all who pitch or plonk
      Adam Lind. Adaaaaam Liiiiiiiind!

when in this game the headlines read
      of those whose box scores are filled with strike outs
      who catch and steal from those who need run support
      to right this wrong with blinding speed the cry
      goes Adaaaaam Liiiiiiiind! Adam Lind! Adaaaaam Liiiiiiiind

GET OFF THE DL: we need some hitting dammit!

• deathmonkey41 - May 23, 2011 at 9:12 PM

You apparently have a lot of time on your hands

• curr68 - May 23, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Yes I do. Lot’s of lonely, lonely time. I mostly spend it thinking about Jose Bautista performing his patented “Dominican Donkey Punch” on me…

• cur68 - May 23, 2011 at 11:20 PM

deathmonkey41; I do actually have some free time but I used it to watch the Jays beat the Yankees. Altering the lyrics to Underdog took less than 30 seconds.

I see little mini-curr is still at it. He’s getting a kind of desperate tone now, alas, the poor sexually confused little devil. I’d wish you luck little buddy, but I think you’re barking up the wrong tree. Seriously, try Adrian Gonzalez. He’s looks he might be receptive to your advances.

5. halladaysbiceps - May 23, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Seriously, with all due respect to Jays fans and baseball fans in general, I want this guy tested for PEDs. His track record does not indicate that he has EVER had this type of power. I know very well that baseball has a testing policy now. However, as a baseball fan, I want his testing to be public so there is no question that he is doing it the right way. If he tests negative, I will be pulling for him all the way.

By the way, if this was Ryan Howard, I would also want to have him tested publicly. This is not homerism. This is about the integrity of the game, which I think is the responsibility of baseball to insure.

• baseballisboring - May 23, 2011 at 8:40 PM

ugh dude just stop. you can’t win this argument. i don’t even have the time or the energy to pick this post apart.

• halladaysbiceps - May 23, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Don’t tell me to stop, idiot. The reason you don’t take time to respond is that you cannot put together a good response. The guy needs to be tested. No one puts up this kind of numbers this late without some help. I’ve been watching baseball for over 3 decades and have only seen this with people that are steriod enabled. Care to guess who those individuals are?

By the way, your login, baseballisboring, is a f****ing joke. Go eat a back of d**ks, you f***ing moron. Go watch basketball or hockey if you think baseball is so boring.

• proudlycanadian - May 23, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Bautista, Granderson and Halladay are regularly tested. Alternative theories that make as much sense as yours include the possibility that 1) they sold their soul to the devil, 2) their body has been taken over by an alien life form, 3) it is all a dream.

• halladaysbiceps - May 23, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Your Canadian, great. Answer these questions for me, then. Why did (1) your country lose most of it’s NHL franchises to the USA and (2) why couldn’t your poor excuse of a city Montreal support a baseball franchise?

Go back to the hockey forums and take cur68 with you, please.

• proudlycanadian - May 23, 2011 at 10:11 PM

The answer to your questions are simple. During the 1990′s the Canadian currency was very weak and as athletes are paid in US dollars, Canadian teams lost money. Consequently 2 hockey teams and the Expos moved south. Now that the Canadian dollar is worth more that the US dollar, one hockey team is about to move to Canada and more moves back to Canada can be expected. I am sure that you are aware that Canada had a much milder recession than the US and has had a stronger recovery. Our unemployment rate is significantly less than that of the US.

• halladaysbiceps - May 23, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Fine, proudlycanadian. I then give you back not only all the NHL franchises that your country has ever owned, but I would like you country to take ALL of them back. Lets see if your great economy can support them.

Also, you can have the Nats organization back (aka the former Expos). They suck as much here as they did when they were a Canadian franchise.

• Justin - May 23, 2011 at 11:24 PM

They also have a better healthcare system than the US. And your responses here make me question our own education system.

• iamnotacoolguy - May 23, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Actually The Expos had some pretty good teams and if not for the strike would have had a very good chance of ending the Braves run of division championships. Why all the Canadian negativity? You asked a question (snarkily I might add) and he answered with facts and reason. The amount of hostility you have exhibited is sorta crazy. Maybe you should relax?

• cur68 - May 23, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Take it easy on ‘bicepts. He got his stones busted HARD today on a couple of posts and then his team went out and poured on the offense. There is no WAY he can get on ATH tomorrow and whine like a little kid about his teams lousy offense now. His whole day tomorrow is just shot, poor lil fella. Hence his attack on us nice polite friendly Canadian folks. Also I think he’s been drinking a bit. He gets all surly like when he’s had a few.

• deathmonkey41 - May 24, 2011 at 11:55 AM

MLB does not test for HGH.

6. madaozeki - May 23, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Jose Bautista is not hitting home runs any FURTHER than before. He’s just hitting them MORE OFTEN. So yes, he certainly HAS shown this kind of power, over and over again. He’s just learned to be more selective in choosing pitches he can drive, leading to more walks, fewer strikeouts, more contact (swinging mostly at in-zone pitches now), and more consistently HARD contact.

• halladaysbiceps - May 23, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Yeah. Jose Bautista is such a fearful hitter. 19 homeruns alreay and no ones even close. Open your eyes and question this, jackass. There is something wrong with this. I feel it.

7. Justin - May 23, 2011 at 10:15 PM

HE IS ON STEROIDS! Just summing up what 90% of the commenters will say. He is getting his chance to play everyday and taken full advantage of it. Now he is hitting the thing like crazy.

(Check out my sports blog http://minnesporta.wordpress.com/)

• halladaysbiceps - May 23, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Justin, no one wants to check out you sh***y blog. Go eat a bag of d**ks. Get it, Justin. You sound like a whiny *ag!

• Justin - May 23, 2011 at 10:49 PM

You sure did show me. Is that you Joakim Noah? Or maybe it is Kobe Bryant. I feel like you need to be tested for a slew of many different things but I digress.

• sawxalicious - May 24, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Why so whiny today, Biceps? I’ve actually seen you post intelligent comments before…it seems you’re letting everyone get to you. For the record, d**ks are not stored in bags, they are stored in boxes (SNL taught me that… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhwbxEfy7fg ) . I think that all of Bautista’s peripheral stats suggest that he is simply a really good hitter, even if he is a late bloomer…he’s not hitting the ball any further than he has before. This link is very helpful: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/is-jose-bautistas-leap-unprecedented/ …He’s not a two dimensional player like Jose Canseco was (three dimensions if one considers his exceptional skill at douchebaggery)….that’s all I have to say about that.

• TheWizard - May 23, 2011 at 10:48 PM

The assumption by many is HGH, specifically.

• Justin - May 23, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Well, whatever it is I am not gonna comment here and say I know for sure he is or isn’t. I do truly hate the thought of steroids tarnishing players records but I don’t think steroids necessarily make someone a better hitter just a stronger one. Thanks for not attacking everyones opinions with cursing and insults TheWizard.

Overall, I think people should be more upset with baseball and their steroids policy and how slow they acted to implement it.

8. scapistron - May 23, 2011 at 10:47 PM

And now we have imposter posts here. Great. Half the commentators probably should have been raptured the other day.

• cur68 - May 24, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Do you mean my leedle fren ‘curr68′? Don’t worry about him. We all know its the poster ‘ryanmalletsblunwrap’. You can check out his comments as himself on any Red Sox post; he’s all over those things.

He’d decided to pay me the singular honor of being my stalker and posting homoerotic stuff about himself (as ‘curr68′) and Jose Bautista. If you are familiar with the Freudian concept of Projection you can understand why he’s doing this. Poor confused little fella needs a friend and I feel we shouldn’t reject him.

9. proudlycanadian - May 24, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Last night the Yankees intentionally walked Bautista with a runner on second and none out. Our temporary (he is not a slugger) clean up hitter sacrificed moving runners to second and third. Another intentional walk loaded the bases. The Jays proceeded to score 5 runs to lock up the win. The Yankees were so afraid of Bautista that they played like chickens.

Three legends off to Cooperstown