May 23, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT
Scratched from his Thursday start and placed on the disabled list with the same elbow problems that shelved him earlier this season, Joe Blanton will now get a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews.
Meeting with Dr. Andrews is never a good thing for a pitcher and beyond that Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that “the Phillies are still unsure of the problems inside Blanton’s right elbow” and “Blanton expressed some doubt as to what is going on in his elbow.”
In other words no one knows what’s going on, although at this point the decision to let Blanton pitch through elbow pain previously looks like a very questionable call for the pitcher and the team. In between the DL stints Blanton had a 5.50 ERA in six starts.
At the very least he figures to miss a few weeks and even if Dr. Andrews doesn’t discover anything that requires surgery you can be sure the Phillies will be a lot more patient bringing Blanton back this time.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (122)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final