May 23, 2011, 8:08 PM EDT
Johnny Bench was released Monday after spending five days in a Rochester, N.Y., hospital with acute pancreatitis, the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.
Bench, 63, fell ill a day after appearing as a guest at a taping for MLB Network’s “Greatest Games” show that aired Sunday. He was on his way to a speaking engagement in Rochester when he developed symptoms and was taken to urgent care.
Bench previously had hip replacement surgery in 2004.
Bench, who is on Twitter, had the following to say this afternoon
Little queasy still. Reds losing too! I mean Getting swept by Indians made the last few days worse. Let’s all get better. Thx for wishes.
Let’s hope the Kid( GaryCarter) breezes thru this. Sandy we love you!!
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 24
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)