May 23, 2011, 8:08 PM EDT
Johnny Bench was released Monday after spending five days in a Rochester, N.Y., hospital with acute pancreatitis, the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.
Bench, 63, fell ill a day after appearing as a guest at a taping for MLB Network’s “Greatest Games” show that aired Sunday. He was on his way to a speaking engagement in Rochester when he developed symptoms and was taken to urgent care.
Bench previously had hip replacement surgery in 2004.
Bench, who is on Twitter, had the following to say this afternoon
Little queasy still. Reds losing too! I mean Getting swept by Indians made the last few days worse. Let’s all get better. Thx for wishes.
Let’s hope the Kid( GaryCarter) breezes thru this. Sandy we love you!!
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 50
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 11
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)