May 23, 2011, 8:08 PM EDT
Johnny Bench was released Monday after spending five days in a Rochester, N.Y., hospital with acute pancreatitis, the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.
Bench, 63, fell ill a day after appearing as a guest at a taping for MLB Network’s “Greatest Games” show that aired Sunday. He was on his way to a speaking engagement in Rochester when he developed symptoms and was taken to urgent care.
Bench previously had hip replacement surgery in 2004.
Bench, who is on Twitter, had the following to say this afternoon
Little queasy still. Reds losing too! I mean Getting swept by Indians made the last few days worse. Let’s all get better. Thx for wishes.
Let’s hope the Kid( GaryCarter) breezes thru this. Sandy we love you!!
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 0
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 86
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 71
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 70
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 73
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)