Johnny Bench released from hospital after bout of pancreatitis

May 23, 2011, 8:08 PM EDT

Johnny Bench AP

Johnny Bench was released Monday after spending five days in a Rochester, N.Y., hospital with acute pancreatitis, the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

Bench, 63, fell ill a day after appearing as a guest at a taping for MLB Network’s “Greatest Games” show that aired Sunday.  He was on his way to a speaking engagement in Rochester when he developed symptoms and was taken to urgent care.

Bench previously had hip replacement surgery in 2004.

Bench, who is on Twitter, had the following to say this afternoon

Little queasy still. Reds losing too! I mean Getting swept by Indians made the last few days worse. Let’s all get better. Thx for wishes.

He also had well wishes for a fellow Hall of Fame catcher:

Let’s hope the Kid( GaryCarter) breezes thru this. Sandy we love you!!

1. halladaysbiceps - May 23, 2011 at 8:16 PM

He is the greatest catcher I have ever seen and is the greatest catcher in MLB history. God speed, Johnny Bench.

• cur68 - May 23, 2011 at 8:30 PM

‘bicepts, for once, we totally agree with each other.

• halladaysbiceps - May 23, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Dude, I usually make sense in my comments. It’s people like you that get bent out of shape when I criticize my team, the Phillies. Remember, this is MY TEAM. Not yours, but mine. You are a Blue Jays fan, not a Phillies fan. Don’t critique my opinions when you don’t follow them every day like I do. It’s getting old and I’m tiring of the conversation. Either start commenting on other teams or get lost. Either way, dude, I don’t care.

• cur68 - May 23, 2011 at 9:03 PM

My friend you do get your stones busted a lot, it is true. Such a daily stone busting would make even a statue sensitive. Since you are freely advising me about how and where I should posts let me freely advise you about yours; if getting your stones busted is such an ordeal for you, don’t plonk them down on an anvil, hand out hammers and say the equivalent of “my nuts are numb to your puny blows!”

I care about the Philthies. They nicked my team’s best pitcher. We beat them with the best home run by a Blue Jay ever in a World Series. Right now I know the Philthies are beating the Reds 10 – 3. This makes me happy. If Jonny 5 and the currently missing Utley’s Hair are anything to go by, Philadelphia Phans are a funny group. I need the laughs. Hell, you even make me laugh. There are lots of reasons for me to follow their exploits and to post and comment

To me they are my substitute Expos. You are my substitute Dykstra. The likelihood of my leaving either of you alone is pretty minimal.

• halladaysbiceps - May 23, 2011 at 9:14 PM

cur68,

You make no sense whatsoever. You follow the Phillies and are so passionate about Roy Halladay? Why did he want out of Toronto again? Because, the man was tired of losing!!!

Just like Curt Schilling and Scott Rolen with the Phillies. They were tired of losing, so they requested a trade. What else is new?

Once again, you say leaving me alone is pretty minimal. Fine, continue to disagree with me. Just remember, I probably forgot more baseball than you will ever know. I think it’s pretty pathetic that a Blue Jays fan, minus Doc Halladay, would show this much interest in Phillies baseball. If your team was in the NL East, it would be different.

Where are all your Blue Jays brothers on this site and why don’t you talk to them? Why hang onto the tails of a team that is not only not in your division, but not even in your league?

• cur68 - May 23, 2011 at 11:11 PM

‘bicepts; Hey lets not get into a fit here. I was only saying I wish Bench well, just like you.

2. goldensombrero3000 - May 23, 2011 at 8:27 PM

• halladaysbiceps - May 23, 2011 at 8:30 PM

???????

Not sure I follow…what the hell are you talking about? What are you? A fat slob in your mom’s basement?

• goldensombrero3000 - May 23, 2011 at 8:43 PM

I could only wish I was that good at blogging.

• halladaysbiceps - May 23, 2011 at 8:49 PM

goldensombrero3000, you must have a modicum of intelligence to come up with your username/login to this site. Let me clarify my comment. You said “I wonder what old age holds for me since I’m the extreme opposite of an athletic specimen as a 27 year old.”.

I can only assume that you are not in shape. Furthermore, the article is about Johnny Bench and his illness. Where did you comment come from? Simple question.

• goldensombrero3000 - May 23, 2011 at 10:26 PM

hip replacement, brain tumors, pancreatitis, over grown hands holding baseballs. I may have been internetally thinking out loud of my own of my own mortality that tragically got prolonged after Saturday. I’m in fine shape, could be better just like most people. Thank you Halladaysbiceps. I love Johnny Bench.

3. royalsfaninfargo - May 23, 2011 at 9:07 PM

i had this same thing 2 years ago. and there is only one reason you get acute pancreatitus. BOOZING. best of luck johnny, i will always remember the baseball bunch!

• 1jarhead - May 24, 2011 at 9:11 AM

I am happy to hear that you are better. but your statement is not true. Boozing may be one of the main reasons and the first guess by doctors, but it can also happen due to a gallstone getting stuck. The acidic fluid builds up and wreaks havoc on the rest of the organs. My father (may he rest in peace) died from severe pancreatitis after being more or less in a coma for 6 months and he was never a drinker.
      I wish Johnny well and i am happy to hear it’s not as serious. Good call on the baseball bunch. I loved that

• royalsfaninfargo - May 24, 2011 at 5:45 PM

i am truly sorry to hear about your father. my bout with this was the most painful thing i have ever gone through in my life. i guess my point is, it does a disservice to future sufferers if the reason he came down with it isnt talked about. regardless if it is booze related. i had never heard of this disease before i walked into a hospital feeling like an alien baby was growing out of my abdomen, if i had i might not have hit the sauce so hard.

4. metalhead65 - May 24, 2011 at 7:54 AM

simply the best catcher ever. Sparky had it right when he said don’t ever embarrass another catcher by comparing him to Johnny Bench, what are you other clowns do on this page doing talking about teams and things that have nothing to do with the greatest catcher of all time on the greatest team of time?

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet