May 23, 2011, 10:06 PM EDT
Craig mentioned earlier how David Wright took “the high road” in response to Fred Wilpon’s comments from the New Yorker. You wouldn’t expect anything different from him, but right-hander Mike Pelfrey has a decidedly different take. A downright funny one, actually.
No, Wilpon didn’t mention Pelfrey by name in the profile, but in talking to Mets pitching coach Dan Warthen about a member of the staff “who tends to dawdle on the mound, he said, “Tell him to throw the f-ing ball!” And if you know anything about Pelfrey, he’s a bit, well, fidgety on the mound.
Anyway, here’s Pelfrey’s take, via David Waldstein of the New York Times:
“I think guys will be upset,” pitcher Mike Pelfrey said. “But we’re all a family: ownership, coaches and players. Sometimes people say things they regret. It’s a mistake and you learn from it. Maybe next spring when we have our media workshop for the players, Fred can come and sit in on it.”
Nicely done, sir. Though if Fred’s heel turn continues, Pelfrey will be on the next flight to Buffalo.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 50
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 62
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 20
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)