May 23, 2011, 10:06 PM EDT
Craig mentioned earlier how David Wright took “the high road” in response to Fred Wilpon’s comments from the New Yorker. You wouldn’t expect anything different from him, but right-hander Mike Pelfrey has a decidedly different take. A downright funny one, actually.
No, Wilpon didn’t mention Pelfrey by name in the profile, but in talking to Mets pitching coach Dan Warthen about a member of the staff “who tends to dawdle on the mound, he said, “Tell him to throw the f-ing ball!” And if you know anything about Pelfrey, he’s a bit, well, fidgety on the mound.
Anyway, here’s Pelfrey’s take, via David Waldstein of the New York Times:
“I think guys will be upset,” pitcher Mike Pelfrey said. “But we’re all a family: ownership, coaches and players. Sometimes people say things they regret. It’s a mistake and you learn from it. Maybe next spring when we have our media workshop for the players, Fred can come and sit in on it.”
Nicely done, sir. Though if Fred’s heel turn continues, Pelfrey will be on the next flight to Buffalo.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)