May 23, 2011, 10:06 PM EST
Craig mentioned earlier how David Wright took “the high road” in response to Fred Wilpon’s comments from the New Yorker. You wouldn’t expect anything different from him, but right-hander Mike Pelfrey has a decidedly different take. A downright funny one, actually.
No, Wilpon didn’t mention Pelfrey by name in the profile, but in talking to Mets pitching coach Dan Warthen about a member of the staff “who tends to dawdle on the mound, he said, “Tell him to throw the f-ing ball!” And if you know anything about Pelfrey, he’s a bit, well, fidgety on the mound.
Anyway, here’s Pelfrey’s take, via David Waldstein of the New York Times:
“I think guys will be upset,” pitcher Mike Pelfrey said. “But we’re all a family: ownership, coaches and players. Sometimes people say things they regret. It’s a mistake and you learn from it. Maybe next spring when we have our media workshop for the players, Fred can come and sit in on it.”
Nicely done, sir. Though if Fred’s heel turn continues, Pelfrey will be on the next flight to Buffalo.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 221
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (228)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)