May 23, 2011, 10:06 PM EDT
Craig mentioned earlier how David Wright took “the high road” in response to Fred Wilpon’s comments from the New Yorker. You wouldn’t expect anything different from him, but right-hander Mike Pelfrey has a decidedly different take. A downright funny one, actually.
No, Wilpon didn’t mention Pelfrey by name in the profile, but in talking to Mets pitching coach Dan Warthen about a member of the staff “who tends to dawdle on the mound, he said, “Tell him to throw the f-ing ball!” And if you know anything about Pelfrey, he’s a bit, well, fidgety on the mound.
Anyway, here’s Pelfrey’s take, via David Waldstein of the New York Times:
“I think guys will be upset,” pitcher Mike Pelfrey said. “But we’re all a family: ownership, coaches and players. Sometimes people say things they regret. It’s a mistake and you learn from it. Maybe next spring when we have our media workshop for the players, Fred can come and sit in on it.”
Nicely done, sir. Though if Fred’s heel turn continues, Pelfrey will be on the next flight to Buffalo.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 5
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 21
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 88
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)