May 23, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Bad news about former (mostly) Yankees first baseman Bill “Moose” Skowron:
“He collapsed into my arms,” said oldest son Greg, a trucking executive in the Phoenix area. “We were leaving a spring game around the fifth inning, which was unusual for him. Then he turned down an autograph request, which I’d never seen him do before. Then he turned to me and said, ‘I don’t feel so good.’ ”
The initial diagnosis was pneumonia.
Tests later found lung cancer.
That bad news comes with a nice, albeit in light of the news, bittersweet, remembrance of Skowron’s career, which is often ignored due to the fact that he shared the New York stage with so many larger figures.
In other news, I am really getting tired of stories about ballplayers with cancer.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)