May 23, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Bad news about former (mostly) Yankees first baseman Bill “Moose” Skowron:
“He collapsed into my arms,” said oldest son Greg, a trucking executive in the Phoenix area. “We were leaving a spring game around the fifth inning, which was unusual for him. Then he turned down an autograph request, which I’d never seen him do before. Then he turned to me and said, ‘I don’t feel so good.’ ”
The initial diagnosis was pneumonia.
Tests later found lung cancer.
That bad news comes with a nice, albeit in light of the news, bittersweet, remembrance of Skowron’s career, which is often ignored due to the fact that he shared the New York stage with so many larger figures.
In other news, I am really getting tired of stories about ballplayers with cancer.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)