May 23, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Bad news about former (mostly) Yankees first baseman Bill “Moose” Skowron:
“He collapsed into my arms,” said oldest son Greg, a trucking executive in the Phoenix area. “We were leaving a spring game around the fifth inning, which was unusual for him. Then he turned down an autograph request, which I’d never seen him do before. Then he turned to me and said, ‘I don’t feel so good.’ “
The initial diagnosis was pneumonia.
Tests later found lung cancer.
That bad news comes with a nice, albeit in light of the news, bittersweet, remembrance of Skowron’s career, which is often ignored due to the fact that he shared the New York stage with so many larger figures.
In other news, I am really getting tired of stories about ballplayers with cancer.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)