May 23, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Bad news about former (mostly) Yankees first baseman Bill “Moose” Skowron:
“He collapsed into my arms,” said oldest son Greg, a trucking executive in the Phoenix area. “We were leaving a spring game around the fifth inning, which was unusual for him. Then he turned down an autograph request, which I’d never seen him do before. Then he turned to me and said, ‘I don’t feel so good.’ ”
The initial diagnosis was pneumonia.
Tests later found lung cancer.
That bad news comes with a nice, albeit in light of the news, bittersweet, remembrance of Skowron’s career, which is often ignored due to the fact that he shared the New York stage with so many larger figures.
In other news, I am really getting tired of stories about ballplayers with cancer.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 0
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)