Moose Skowron has lung cancer

May 23, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT

moose_skowron

Bad news about former (mostly) Yankees first baseman Bill “Moose” Skowron:

“He collapsed into my arms,” said oldest son Greg, a trucking executive in the Phoenix area. “We were leaving a spring game around the fifth inning, which was unusual for him. Then he turned down an autograph request, which I’d never seen him do before. Then he turned to me and said, ‘I don’t feel so good.’ “

The initial diagnosis was pneumonia.

Tests later found lung cancer.

That bad news comes with a nice, albeit in light of the news, bittersweet, remembrance of Skowron’s career, which is often ignored due to the fact that he shared the New York stage with so many larger figures.

In other news, I am really getting tired of stories about ballplayers with cancer.

1. yankeesfanlen - May 23, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Moose is one of the greats remaining from the storied 50s era Yankees. As recently as last summer he looked good on Old Timers Day and received a proper ovation:MOOOOOOOOOOOSE!
    Five time Yankee All Star and very good situational hitter.
    Hope the best for him.

• Old Gator - May 23, 2011 at 12:01 PM

I used to have a baseball my uncle got him to autograph for me. I was too shy to get any closer to him – down by the railing, he was just so freaking big. I was, what, maybe ten or eleven years old. Dear Buddha. In many ways more than merely symbolic, the golden age of the Borg began unravelling when Joe Pepitone replace the Moose at First.

• yankeesfanlen - May 23, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Pepitone was the Lenny Dykstra od his era. What a scumbag crybaby!

• Old Gator - May 23, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Oh right, and I must have been brain-locked this morning: Moose, hang in there and fight the good fight!

2. sdelmonte - May 23, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I am tired of cancer, period. Too many people I know have it or had it. But who among us cannot say that?

Best wishes to Moose, and to all the other boys of summer in need of a boost in their battles against such troubles.

3. RickyB - May 23, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Moose was a college teammate at Purdue of my high school coach, so he came to speak to our team once. Terrific man, very jovial and patient. Also got an autograph from him several years later at a Charlotte Knights game, and when I mentioned I played for his old college teammate, the stories starting flowing. Good luck Moose!

4. 24may98 - May 23, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Doubtless, the photos will appear sooner than later, but there a print ads that Moose did for Camels (I think).

I can sympathize with him and his family as my dad died of lung cancer.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3535)