The Braves sign Julio Lugo for some reason

May 23, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT

Julio Lugo, Adam Jones

It’s a pretty bad day when both your team and its division rival both sign guys to minor league deals, the rival’s signing is Scott Podsednik, and they’re move is far, far better than your team’s. But alas it was, as the Braves signed Julio Lugo for some reason.

Lugo tore up baseball to the tune of .249/.298/.282 last year and so impressed everyone with his winning attitude these past few years that no one gave him a shot this spring. So yeah, that’s a guy you gotta sign.

The worst part of it is that the Braves are in far greater need of outfield depth than infield help — if, indeed, you can call what Lugo provides “help” — due to the Jason Heyward‘s and Nate McLouth‘s injuries. So I’m actually sitting here wishing that the Braves would have signed Podsednik instead, and that’s about as pathetic a wish as there is. In case you haven’t noticed, the last few Braves games have made me profoundly bitter and pessimistic.

Oh wait, as I was writing this, Twitter follower @FuquaManuel notifies me that the Braves may have had a reason to get Lugo: he as a career 1.280 OPS in over 100 plate appearances against the Phillies.

But on second thought, that doesn’t make me feel better. The Braves have shown in the past couple of weeks that beating the Phillies head-to-head is no big deal.  It’s the rest of baseball that gives them trouble.  Sigh.

1. Chris Fiorentino - May 23, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Maybe it’s me, but I don’t get all the Podsednik hate…yeah, he’s no Babe Ruth. But he still hit .297 and stole 35 bases LAST YEAR. He’s not chopped liver…is he?

• jwbiii - May 23, 2011 at 5:50 PM

He’s a marginal upgrade over what the Phillies have at AAA, so no need to hate.

• spudchukar - May 23, 2011 at 6:44 PM

If I am not mistaken, this will be the second time in a week, I have agreed with you Fior, which troubles me more than you know. If there is one thing the Pheelies have to improve it is OBP, and Podsednik, should be an asset there, compared to the free swingers currently employed in the outfield. Almost all hitters are better with runners on, pitchers in the stretch, infielders shortened up for their respective duties, runners in motion or the fear they may be, more fastballs in predictable counts etc., etc.

• baseballisboring - May 23, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Well, I wouldn’t call it Podsednik *hate* but…between the .724 OPS, the bad defense in left field and the fact that he was only 35/50 in SB attempts…he’s not particularly useful.

2. aceshigh11 - May 23, 2011 at 5:35 PM

As a Sox fan, all I can say is: better the Braves than us.

Good luck with THAT.

3. volcom2143 - May 23, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Go phils !!!

4. uyf1950 - May 23, 2011 at 5:42 PM

You know under the right circumstances the Yankees might be willing to part with Andruw Jones. I understand he has some history with the Braves.

5. halladaysbicepts - May 23, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Yeah Craig, I’m guessing that the signing of Lugo wants to make you “hock a loogie”. Right?

6. oikosjeremy - May 23, 2011 at 5:45 PM

The Braves can’t possibly be so dumb as to think that Lugo has some kind of ability to hit Phillies pitchers while failing to hit pitchers from other teams?

7. jwbiii - May 23, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Same as Podsednik. Julio Lugo isn’t very good, but he’s probably better than Ed Lucas or Brandon Hicks.

• jwbiii - May 23, 2011 at 8:19 PM

And just like the Phillies, the Braves’ middle infield EYPs are in A ball.

8. Jonny 5 - May 23, 2011 at 7:18 PM

I’m sure the Braves would have rather they signed Posednik too. Watcha! Ninja strike!

9. purdueman - May 23, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Hey! If a huge guaranteed four year deal is good for the Red Sawx, signing him ought to be good enough for Philly!!!

10. marshmallowsnake - May 24, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Better your team then mine…enjoy!

Three legends off to Cooperstown