May 23, 2011, 1:01 PM EDT
This move is clearly about insurance for the Phillies, as Shane Victorino is hurt and Charlie Manuel has a lot riding on young kids and a toasted veteran in that outfield.
Reader Jonny5, however — who sent me this link — thinks it’s more of a defensive move by Philly, inasmuch as Podsednik has killed the Phillies in the past (.316/.384/.443; not bad for him) and Ruben Amaro simply doesn’t want Florida or Atlanta or someone getting him.
That Amaro. Always two steps ahead …
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 219
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (219)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)