May 23, 2011, 1:01 PM EDT
This move is clearly about insurance for the Phillies, as Shane Victorino is hurt and Charlie Manuel has a lot riding on young kids and a toasted veteran in that outfield.
Reader Jonny5, however — who sent me this link — thinks it’s more of a defensive move by Philly, inasmuch as Podsednik has killed the Phillies in the past (.316/.384/.443; not bad for him) and Ruben Amaro simply doesn’t want Florida or Atlanta or someone getting him.
That Amaro. Always two steps ahead …
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (76)