May 23, 2011, 1:01 PM EST
This move is clearly about insurance for the Phillies, as Shane Victorino is hurt and Charlie Manuel has a lot riding on young kids and a toasted veteran in that outfield.
Reader Jonny5, however — who sent me this link — thinks it’s more of a defensive move by Philly, inasmuch as Podsednik has killed the Phillies in the past (.316/.384/.443; not bad for him) and Ruben Amaro simply doesn’t want Florida or Atlanta or someone getting him.
That Amaro. Always two steps ahead …
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)