And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights

May 24, 2011, 5:48 AM EDT

Chris Perez

Indians 3, Red Sox 2: There are certain games in which teams of destiny define themselves. I’m not saying the Indians are that kind of team — hell, I’m just as confused as the rest of you and thus will make no claim to being on the bandwagon earlier than anyone — but if they do turn out to be that kind of team, this game will be featured prominently in the highlight DVD at the end of the year. As lightning flashed and thunder crashed just west of the ballpark, the Indians came from behind in the eighth inning thanks to a Michael Brantley RBI single and then an RBI double by that man, Asdrubal Cabrera, scoring Brantley. Chris Perez allowed two base runners in the 9th but induced a Carl Crawford GIDP to end it.

Astros 4, Dodgers 3: Some comebacks may be season-of-destiny-defining, but just because your season isn’t destined for anything special doesn’t mean that a comeback can’t simply be fun. Bill Hall was 4 for 4 with two doubles, but it was his single in the bottom of the ninth that helped key the Astros’ comeback from a 3-1 deficit when they were down to their last out. That and a little double steal action that put Hall at third and pinch hitter Angel Sanchez at second to score on Michael Bourn‘s game-tying double.  Two batters later Hunter Pence singled Bourn in for the game-winner.

Brewers 11, Nationals 3: Corey Hart blasts three homers and drives in seven. Coming in to this game he was batting .237/.275/.329 with no homers and a single RBI.

Phillies 10, Reds 3: Chase Utley returns and with him comes the offense. Of course correlation is not the same thing as causation so don’t read too deeply into his 0 for 5 night. Placido Polanco, Raul Ibanez and John Mayberry Jr. each had a couple of RBI, however, and that made for Philly’s biggest offensive night since, like, ever.

Tigers 6, Rays 3: Close until the eighth when the Tigers strung together two two-run hits off Juan Cruz. Tigers starter Phil Coke left the game in the top of the fourth after injuring his ankle whilst chasing a bunt. He was replaced by rookie lefty Charlie Furbush, who picked up the win in his major league debut. In other news, there is a pitcher named Charlie Furbush.

Mariners 8, Twins 7: Good thing the Twins traded top prospect Wilson Ramos for Proven Closer Matt Capps last year, because there is no way that Jon Rauch or someone else who has not gone on the Proven Closer Vision Quest and had the secrets of the Proven Closer Elders handed down to them could have blown that save in the ninth last night.

Rangers 4, White Sox 0: Josh Hamilton returns with a bang, homering in the first inning of his first game since April 12th. Meanwhile, Alexi Ogando‘s post-blister problem run continues nicely, as he takes his third straight decision in what was his best start of the year so far (CG, SHO 5 H).

Blue Jays 7, Yankees 3: Bartolo Colon follows his best start of the year up with his worst. Well, his second worst, but it looks bad compared to that gem against Baltimore last week.  Carlos Villanueva filled in for Jesse Litsch nicely, allowing one run on two hits over five innings. J.P. Arencibia had four RBI and Jose Bautista hit a homer.

Angels 4, Athletics 1: Torii Hunter was the hero in the field and at the plate, nailing Andy LaRoche as he tried to score in the seventh and driving in the go-ahead run with a double in the eighth. On a night when some teams who had not been scoring runs lately broke out with some nice offense, the Athletics remain in the offensive desert.

Cardinals 3, Padres 1: At least the A’s have some company in the offensive desert, as San Diego continues to treat run scoring as if it were radioactive or something. And hey, Albert Pujols hit a homer!

1. kiwicricket - May 24, 2011 at 7:07 AM

Sorry I’m a day late here(actually a day early as the time zone suggests) but I can’t let this one pass….
    -David Wright takes the high road-

“halladaysbicepts – May 23, 2011 at 1:40 PM
    (1) My opinions are fact. It’s as simple as that.
    (2) David Wright is a Bobby Abreu type player. Puts up decent stats, but is not clutch enough for my liking. I watch alot of Mets baseball and can tell you this is the case.
    (3) Jose Reyes is a player that is injury prone and is prone to not playing the game the right way and only plays at times when he wants to.
    (4) Beltran—-see Jose Reyes (3).
    (5) Fixing the Phillies—-there is nothing, short of a trade, that will fix the offense anytime soon. I’m not the GM. I can’t fix it. But, I can point out what I see lacking on the field.

RE:
    cur68 – May 23, 2011 at 1:54 PM
    ‘bicepts;
    (1) No.

I almost burst a tear duct.

• kiwicricket - May 24, 2011 at 7:13 AM

Sorry, the Sox- Indians game was easily the best game broadcast down these parts since the start of the season.

• Chris Fiorentino - May 24, 2011 at 8:37 AM

If you are a Red Sox fan, you have to be feeling pretty sick that your 8th inning guy…your closer of the future…your rising bullpen star…already has 4 losses and it isn’t even June yet. He is having a “Gene Garber-esque” season.

• spudchukar - May 24, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Or, a Brad Lidge clone.

2. largebill - May 24, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Craig,

You made me laugh with the way you referred to Cabrera as “that man” almost as an epitaph being spat out. Made me think back to how people opposed to his policies referred to FDR. In fact his AG, Bob Jackson (later SC Justice) wrote a partial FDR biography with that title to sort of mock FDR’s opponents. Interesting back story to that book. Jackson died suddenly in the early 50′s and his unfinished manuscript was stuck away with his belonging and wasn’t found and published for 50 years.

3. yankeesfanlen - May 24, 2011 at 8:02 AM

Marvelous 6th inning strategy, Girardi. Keep loading the bases to get to a mythical double play. THAT didn’t happen, even five runs later, one of them walked in.

• spudchukar - May 24, 2011 at 1:33 PM

I was watching this when the intentional walks were issued. The one to Bautista was understandable, but not the one to Rivera. It was the only the 6th, and loading the bases was asking for the game to be put out of reach an Arencibia took care of that.

4. Joe - May 24, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Charlie Furbush, the newest pride of Maine. Way to go, Charlie!

• spudchukar - May 24, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Still waiting for the Furbush/Peacock matchup.

5. Chris Fiorentino - May 24, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Once again, I find myself thinking of good old Winston Wolf and what he cautions Vincent and Jules not to start doing…yeah it was a very nice 10-run outburst. And with Cole Carlton on the mound, I knew it was over before Jimmy Rollins even came to the plate in the 3rd inning.

Tonight, we get Worley once again. Maybe if he throws 6 innings of 0 or 1 run ball, he will become a permanent fixture in the rotation…er, oh wait a second…can we place a quick call to Mr. Andrews in Alabama to beg him to tell Heavy B to rest for about 5 months?

6. rebarratige - May 24, 2011 at 8:57 AM

“Fixing the Phillies—-there is nothing, short of a trade, that will fix the offense anytime soon.”

Don’t worry – I’m sure ‘cepts will find some other unfixable problem to gripe about.

7. halladaysbicepts - May 24, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Finally!!!! The baseball gods heard my rants and the Phillies put up a 10 spot. Yeah!!!!

What a beatdown of the Reds. I love it. If I were Bronson Arroyo after that lesson the Phillies gave him, I would go get a haircut. The Phillies made that hippie pay last night..

• Phillies Homer - May 24, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Yea… it was the “baseball gods that heard you rant” and not the fact that Chase Utley being in the lineup:

a) Probably had everyone else a little more relaxed at the plate
      b) Gave Jimmy better pitches to hit b/c of Utley on deck
      c) Solidified the batting order
      d) Got Wilson Valdez out of the lineup

See why we were telling you that the offense, albiet offensive prior to yesterday, wasn’t worth worrying about until they were completely healthy?!?

• Jonny 5 - May 24, 2011 at 12:36 PM

If the Baseball Gods did hear you, they would have blinded you so you wouldn’t have to watch that horrible offense still win with pretty awesome pitching backing them up.

• trigdaddy - May 24, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Honestly, last night was the ideal (or close to) Phillies lineup that we would roll out there every game. Were still missing Victorino, so he has to fit in somewhere. It seems like an obvious decision to take Mayberry out, but I really like how he has been batting recently. Not too easy of a decision for me to make on who I think he should replace.

• Jonny 5 - May 24, 2011 at 3:46 PM

I think Shane should play when he can, Mayberry would be in RF with Fransisco being back up when it’s needed, maybe to platoon with Raul if things keep being ugly with Raul too. I think Mayberry has potential and think he deserves a fair shake, it can’t hurt just to see what he’s made of for a bit.

8. ThatGuy - May 24, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Sure do wish the Twins had a catcher that could sniff the Mendozza line. Butera may be the worst hitter in the history of the game. The Twins should literally start thinking about DHing from him instead of the pitchers. Find me a pitcher that can’t hit .115

• wlschneider09 - May 24, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Where are you Tim Laudner????

9. JB (the original) - May 24, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Maybe lost behind Corey Hart’s feat, but you neglected to give a few props to Jim Thome who came off the DL before yesterday’s game and hit 2 HR’s last night.

• ThatGuy - May 24, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Was at the game last night, Thome’s first HR was a rocket. Thome likes mashin taters…

10. cur68 - May 24, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Blue Jays 7 Yankees 3. Boo Yeah.

The Most Interesting Batter In the World got some revenge on Colon who’d pwned him lat time they’d met and the rest of the Jays followed suit.

Escobar as the #4 hitter, eh? Why the hell not. Till Adam Lind shoots some stem cells into his lower back we need a steady hitter @ # 4 and if Escobar wants to be that guy, I say GOOD.

Biggest takeaway from that game beyond the victory; Carlos Villanueva is a Starter. Threw 4 different pitches, all locations, any time he wanted.

Jeets looked just old. Old and slow. Too old and slow to be a short stop, poor fella. It is time.

Posada just appeared defeated. I hope Girardi keeps them in the lineup all season long; the Beavermen gotta crack at this division if he does.

11. aceshigh11 - May 24, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Daniel Bard is REALLY pissing me off.

That’s what, FIVE LOSSES this year that can be dumped squarely on his shoulders?

You’ve just gotta figure…Papelbon regains some of his 2007 dominance, and Bard regresses. Things never work out the way you plan…

• cur68 - May 24, 2011 at 11:17 AM

aces; I f you went around screaming ‘nyer nyer’ at other posters I wouldn’t blame you. The number of “Papelbon’s done” posts I read in the preseason was staggering. While it’s not done to be happy for a divisional opponent I have to say the notion of that big ape still dealing fireballs DOES make me happy.

As a Jays fan a Sox loss is a good thing for my Beaverboys, so Bard’s troubles do not worry me, but there is no way in HELL I want my boys facing Papelbon. He is just too good.

• aceshigh11 - May 24, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Yeah, but I honestly wouldn’t have any room to gloat, because I was similarly convinced that Papelbon had become ineffective, and that Bard was the future…

…and Bard STILL may be, but he sure as hell isn’t showing it right now.

For the last couple of years, Papelbon has simply been serving up one down-the-middle fastball after another, with absolutely no regard for using secondary pitches to keep batters guessing.

Even a mediocre hitter can catch up to a 95 MPH fastball right down the middle eventually.

Perhaps it’s because Pap is in his contract year, but he is looking absolutely dominant out there right now, but without a reliable 8th inning setup man, it’s a moot point unless the starter goes the full 8.

• Jonny 5 - May 24, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Brad Lidge would be perfect for you guys. Now go find the Phillies some trade bait.

• cur68 - May 24, 2011 at 12:10 PM

You Philly jokers have treated the Beavermen’s starting rotation like your farm club for the last time. Stay the hell away from Beaver pitching! And you can keep Brad F#cking Lidge, too. Frank Francisco is the MAN.

You guys gotta be happy with that offense now, I bet. Hell even ‘bicepts seemed happy this AM. I swear that guy eats his cheezesteaks raw, he’s so hard core.

Good luck tonight. Worley v. ??? Since Cueto’s in AAA who’s taking his place?

• Jonny 5 - May 24, 2011 at 12:34 PM

LOL!!! I was talking to the Red Sox fan, while jokingly said, I’m sure Theo is thinking even he could help. He’s coming back soon. Anyway I think Cueto and Volquez have you confused. I think it was Volquez that was sent down. I wasn’t aware of Cueto.

• cur68 - May 24, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Right you are. I did confuse him with Volquez. So Worely v. Cueto, eh? I’m lookin forward to that!

• Utley's Hair - May 24, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Just make sure Cueto stays away from Utley at the backstop.

• Jonny 5 - May 24, 2011 at 1:21 PM

I’m a little more anxious about this match up, as I’m afraid for the Phills and worry Cueto’s woo tang style could injure someone.

UT, whaaaaaasssaaaaaaappppppp ?

• Utley's Hair - May 24, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Not much. I went off the grid for a week or so.

• cur68 - May 24, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Utley! Jeez man I was going to start an interweb hunt for your carcass in a virtual dumpster if you didn’t put in an appearance this week. Glad you’re back.

• Utley's Hair - May 24, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Still here, Seisenta y ocho. Just went offline for a bit. But how psyched are Beaverman fans that there’s now a pitcher named Furbush?

• cur68 - May 25, 2011 at 12:37 AM

heh, heh, heh…he said ‘furbush’…heh, heh, heh…

12. uyf1950 - May 24, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Well from this Yankee fans perspective no harm no foul with last nights loss. All 3 teams lost the Yankees, Rays and Red Sox and the Blue Jays now are just 1.5 games back. A heck of race the AL East is going to be.

As a Side note, all those Red Sox fans that anticipated several big salaries coming off the books for 2012. Some obviously still will, however some that may not now: Papelbon’s $12M (Bard has not pitched up to expectations and the Red Sox may not be ready to turn over the closers roll to him). Ortiz, while he will probably not resign for the $12.5M he’s currently making it may not be that much less based on his performance so far this year, I think 2 years $20M total for Ortiz. That really only leaves Drew and Cameron of the “big ticket” players that are more likely not to be resigned that’s only $21M+/-. That’s just my opinion.

• aceshigh11 - May 24, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Ortiz has been playing great, and unlike last year, he’s roared right out of the gate.

I see no reason not to re-sign him to a smaller contract as long as his health holds up.

And yeah, as of right now, NO WAY IN HELL are the Sox going to put Bard into the closer’s role. He has not shown that he has the fortitude for it in any way, shape or form.

He has the tools, but he’s been melting down way too much this year. I hate putting too much faith in Pap because he can be flaky, but he’s looking aces right now.

13. Justin - May 24, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Here is my Twins specific recap. Although it isn’t much of a recap as it seems to be that they are a broken record in the way they lose. Have the lead then bullpen blows the lead. Ugh! (http://minnesporta.wordpress.com/2011/05/24/twins-suffer-familiar-fate-losing-7-8/)

14. APBA Guy - May 24, 2011 at 1:14 PM

All the A’s action is over at the Fuentes comments post: an HBT record 11 comments concerning an A not named Braden. Check it out.

As for last nights game, all the attention is on Fuentes because he’s further along the meltdown highway than Daniel Bard. But the real culprit, again, is the offense.

In the 6 games since the A’s 14-0 blowout of the Angels, the A’s have lost all 6 (4 by Fuentes). In those games the A’s have scored 10 runs, 1.6 per game.

Not good. Halladaysbicepts would be suicidal if he had to watch this offense. And keep in mind the A’s team ERA is slightly better than the Phillies (park effects, anyone). So that lack of offense really sticks out.

15. spudchukar - May 24, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Disclaimer. Kyle Lohse is my favorite player. Fact. He continues to dazzle. Hint. Do not play darts against him. His pinpoint control helps him rack up another dandy. Pujols, for the first time in weeks, seems to be addressing his mechanical flaw. More impressive than his homer was his first bomb in the first inning, but Petco swallowed it up in its monster robbing way. It will certainly take more than one game to convince me all is well, but there was marked improvement.

The Cards 2 run ninth was sparked by a Schumaker double, a Descalso crucial run-scoring smash, and a two out buffer single by Theriot. Downright Scrappy!

Salas again quiets the opposition, gaining his 8th save in as many chances. But he cannot pitch every night, we need a closerless victory or two.

16. macjacmccoy - May 24, 2011 at 2:03 PM

The Utley effect. Any1 ever notice that every story on HBT is about the Phillies?

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3924)