May 24, 2011, 9:14 AM EDT
Brian Fuentes has been inserted late into tie games a lot recently. While one possible takeaway from that is that the manager trusts you to get the team out of tight spots, that strategy has led to Fuentes (a) not being entirely sure what his role is; and (b) taking a bunch of losses.
He’s not too thrilled with that, it seems, and in today’s Chronicle, he says that manager Bob Geren’s handling of him has been “pretty poor” and that there has been “zero communication” between them of late. Guess what: I bet that’s about to change:
Brian Fuentes has been the A’s closer all season. Now he doesn’t know what he is. Thanks to manager Bob Geren.
“The games in San Francisco were unorthodox managing,” said Fuentes, who criticized Geren after Monday night’s 4-1 loss to the Angels for his in-game managing and communication skills. “I thought it was a National League thing. But tonight was pretty unbelievable.”
Um, Brian, you do know that Geren was the best man at Billy Beane’s wedding, right? You think you’re going to win this one?
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 53
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)