May 24, 2011, 10:55 PM EDT
I can’t remember the last time I wrote something about Barry Bonds that didn’t have steroids or perjury as the subject matter, so this story is a breath of fresh air.
According to Lori Preuitt of NBC Bay Area, Barry Bonds has donated to pay for Bryan Stow’s two young children to go to college. Bonds also visited Stow in a Southern California hospital on April 22 and autographed a bat for his children.
Bonds is one of many in the Giants’ family who have shown support since Stow, a Giants fan, was severely beaten outside Dodger Stadium on March 31. According to Preuitt, Tim Lincecum recently gave a $25,000 donation to the Stow family fund.
Some will look at Bonds’ motivation cynically, saying that he is trying to rebuild his image by taking advantage of a tragedy, but that’s missing the point entirely. This is a really nice gesture, no matter what you think of the guy.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)