May 24, 2011, 10:55 PM EDT
I can’t remember the last time I wrote something about Barry Bonds that didn’t have steroids or perjury as the subject matter, so this story is a breath of fresh air.
According to Lori Preuitt of NBC Bay Area, Barry Bonds has donated to pay for Bryan Stow’s two young children to go to college. Bonds also visited Stow in a Southern California hospital on April 22 and autographed a bat for his children.
Bonds is one of many in the Giants’ family who have shown support since Stow, a Giants fan, was severely beaten outside Dodger Stadium on March 31. According to Preuitt, Tim Lincecum recently gave a $25,000 donation to the Stow family fund.
Some will look at Bonds’ motivation cynically, saying that he is trying to rebuild his image by taking advantage of a tragedy, but that’s missing the point entirely. This is a really nice gesture, no matter what you think of the guy.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 19
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)