May 24, 2011, 6:24 PM EDT
Brandon Webb took away some encouraging signs after throwing six innings against Padres minor leaguers in Arizona on Tuesday. He hit 84 mph on the gun while allowing four runs — one earned — and six hits in six innings, Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas reports.
He struck out five and walked none, though he did hit two batters.
“Today I felt like I was able to locate more,” he said. “The other times I was just throwing it down the middle, trying to get velocity and not really worrying about where it went and stuff like that. Today it was more about pitch-ability.”
Webb said he hit 86 mph on the gun a couple of outings ago. He wasn’t there today, but he has picked up some velocity while getting his arm back into shape.
“It’s probably some of the best stuff I’ve had, I think,” he said. “My curve ball has been kind of loopy. For the most part it was pretty good today. It was just a matter of getting the hand speed out in front instead of kind of babying it in there or whatever.”
Webb is probably going to have to start throwing in the mid-80s consistently if he’s going to help the Rangers this year. The team hasn’t announced what’s in store for him next, but it sounds like he’s about ready to begin an official 30-day rehab assignment in the minors.
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 17
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 20
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 19
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)