May 24, 2011, 6:24 PM EDT
Brandon Webb took away some encouraging signs after throwing six innings against Padres minor leaguers in Arizona on Tuesday. He hit 84 mph on the gun while allowing four runs — one earned — and six hits in six innings, Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas reports.
He struck out five and walked none, though he did hit two batters.
“Today I felt like I was able to locate more,” he said. “The other times I was just throwing it down the middle, trying to get velocity and not really worrying about where it went and stuff like that. Today it was more about pitch-ability.”
Webb said he hit 86 mph on the gun a couple of outings ago. He wasn’t there today, but he has picked up some velocity while getting his arm back into shape.
“It’s probably some of the best stuff I’ve had, I think,” he said. “My curve ball has been kind of loopy. For the most part it was pretty good today. It was just a matter of getting the hand speed out in front instead of kind of babying it in there or whatever.”
Webb is probably going to have to start throwing in the mid-80s consistently if he’s going to help the Rangers this year. The team hasn’t announced what’s in store for him next, but it sounds like he’s about ready to begin an official 30-day rehab assignment in the minors.
- One PED-fueled, record-breaking felon is good. The other PED-fueled, record-breaking felon is bad 3
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)