May 24, 2011, 9:21 PM EST
As you may have heard, Brian Fuentes called out Bob Geren for his in-game managing and communication skills following last night’s loss to the Angels. No doubt realizing that he made a major boo-boo, John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Fuentes apologized to Geren during a meeting prior to tonight’s game.
Fuentes didn’t back down from his original comments and even said he would say them again, but just not to the media. Keeping things in-house, what a novel concept.
Anyway, it appears Geren has finally communicated his intentions with Fuentes, as the struggling left-hander has been pulled from the closer role. Grant Balfour will handle the ninth inning for now, though the team’s projected closer Andrew Bailey is nearing the end of a minor league rehab assignment.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 71
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)