May 24, 2011, 9:21 PM EDT
As you may have heard, Brian Fuentes called out Bob Geren for his in-game managing and communication skills following last night’s loss to the Angels. No doubt realizing that he made a major boo-boo, John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Fuentes apologized to Geren during a meeting prior to tonight’s game.
Fuentes didn’t back down from his original comments and even said he would say them again, but just not to the media. Keeping things in-house, what a novel concept.
Anyway, it appears Geren has finally communicated his intentions with Fuentes, as the struggling left-hander has been pulled from the closer role. Grant Balfour will handle the ninth inning for now, though the team’s projected closer Andrew Bailey is nearing the end of a minor league rehab assignment.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 18
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 100
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 73
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (101)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)