May 24, 2011, 9:21 PM EDT
As you may have heard, Brian Fuentes called out Bob Geren for his in-game managing and communication skills following last night’s loss to the Angels. No doubt realizing that he made a major boo-boo, John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Fuentes apologized to Geren during a meeting prior to tonight’s game.
Fuentes didn’t back down from his original comments and even said he would say them again, but just not to the media. Keeping things in-house, what a novel concept.
Anyway, it appears Geren has finally communicated his intentions with Fuentes, as the struggling left-hander has been pulled from the closer role. Grant Balfour will handle the ninth inning for now, though the team’s projected closer Andrew Bailey is nearing the end of a minor league rehab assignment.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 38
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)