May 24, 2011, 9:21 PM EST
As you may have heard, Brian Fuentes called out Bob Geren for his in-game managing and communication skills following last night’s loss to the Angels. No doubt realizing that he made a major boo-boo, John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Fuentes apologized to Geren during a meeting prior to tonight’s game.
Fuentes didn’t back down from his original comments and even said he would say them again, but just not to the media. Keeping things in-house, what a novel concept.
Anyway, it appears Geren has finally communicated his intentions with Fuentes, as the struggling left-hander has been pulled from the closer role. Grant Balfour will handle the ninth inning for now, though the team’s projected closer Andrew Bailey is nearing the end of a minor league rehab assignment.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)