Bryan Stow’s family to sue the Dodgers

May 24, 2011, 2:35 PM EDT

Image of Dodger Stadium beating victim Stow is shown on scoreboard before MLB National League baseball game between San Francisco Giants and St. Louis Cardinals in San Francisco, California Reuters

UPDATEA copy of the lawsuit can be seen here.

2:35 PM: From the “It Was Only a Matter of Time Department” comes the latest news in a sad saga:

The family of Giants fan Bryan Stow is expected to file a lawsuit against the Los Angeles Dodgers today in Los Angeles Superior Court, according to a report from CBS Los Angeles. The suit will allege that the Dodgers are responsible for exposing Mr. Stow to criminal acts of third parties.

With the caveat that I am not a California lawyer, generally speaking, the law is that a business owner owes a duty to patrons to take reasonable steps to secure the premises against foreseeable criminal acts of third parties.  The key word there is “foreseeable.” As in if you’re on notice that there is violent hooliganism about and you don’t take reasonable measures to prevent it, you’re gonna be liable when inevitable and unprevented-by-you violent acts take place.

So if you own a big white building and a parking lot which people have been saying have been growing ever more dangerous and violent for years, and then you, I dunno, fail to hire a chief of security for four months despite being aware of these complaints, you may have a bit of a sticky legal problem on your hands.

You know, just for example.

UPDATE:  Twitter follower AntiGlib reminds us that such suits are no sure thing, and that the Dodgers have won these in the past.  For example.

I guess I’d say that no plaintiff ever has a sure thing of winning a suit, so my sense that the Stow family here has a case doesn’t mean they have a win.  It simply means the suit would not be frivolous.  That said, the more incidents that pile up — and that linked suit was from three years ago — the more “on notice” the Dodgers are of a problem. Indeed, that incident can be used as evidence by the Stows here, as can any others that have since taken place.  If there has been no change — or worse, a degradation – in overall security since then, that could be bad for the Dodgers.

And of course, let us not discount the severity of the Stow beating compared to past incidents. Which, while it shouldn’t change the legal calculus, will likely have some effect on a jury if the case gets that far, for they are only human.

1. trevorb06 - May 24, 2011 at 2:44 PM

As much as I don’t agree with this sort of thing (people sueing a business or another party when somebody ELSE wrongs them) this is one of the few I do agree with. If what I’ve been reading is true, the Dodgers organization should have had more security in place. I know I won’t agree with the amount they’re suing for, but that’s a different bone to pick. It’s not the Dodger’s fault Stow was attacked, it was the bonehead who attacked Stow’s fault, glad one of them has been caught so he can be rightfully punished (if he is infact the correct man).

• kyleortonsarm - May 24, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Idiots. Anyone who tries suits like this and loses should be locked up for being stupid enough to try. I hope they lose and get countersued so hard they’re still in debt 3 generations from now.

• baseballstars - May 24, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Agreed, trevorb06. Also, it irks me when people say this incident is a “baseball issue.” No, it’s an LA gang issue that happened to take place at a baseball game.

• purdueman - May 24, 2011 at 7:53 PM

baseb… The only part of your post I would change is that instead of reading “this incident is a baseball issue”, to “this incident SHOULDN’T be a baseball issue” but due to negligence of Dodger owners the Mc Brokes unfortunately have made it one.

I can’t think of any other MLB team where the owner owns both the stadium AND the surrounding parking lot (Wrigley Field and I believe Fenway Park are privately owned by the teams owners, however, there aren’t any associated parking lots that go with them); that makes this exclusively a Dodgers issue.

On Chicago’s south side, the city owns the parking lots surrounding US Cellular Field and the parking lots been free of any major incidents since it opened 20 years ago because the city has ALWAYS had a strong show of police, including cops on bicycles and horseback that can quickly get to any potential incident.

The LA gang issue being at Dodger Stadium is also exclusively a Dodgers issue, as teams do have a lot of control over who they market and cater to. Al Davis loves his Raiders gang banger/tough guy image, and that’s why he draws the type of scum to Raider games that he does.

The growing security problem at Dodger Stadium was certainly obvious to anyone who even went there periodically, yet the Dodgers simply looked the other way as it was all about the profits. Hopefully the courts will force a change in Dodger ownership soon.

2. cup0pizza - May 24, 2011 at 2:45 PM

As a longtime Dodger fan who has been disgusted with the franchise for a number of years now, I wish Stow’s family the best of luck. Hope they take the Dodgers to the cleaners on this.

• Utley's Hair - May 24, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I’m impressed that you have been able to form an actual legitimate comment on here. It took a while, but kudos to you!!!!!

• purdueman - May 24, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I don’t hope that the Dodgers get taken to the cleaners on this, but I do hope that there’s a huge judgement rendered against to Mc Brokes, who as the acting Executive/Owners made a conscious decision to up their profits by drastically scaling back security (for those of you who may not be following this, after Frank fired Jamie, over about a years time he fired everyone who she had hired or was friendly towards. That included the head of stadium security and his staff, and then none of these people were replaced).

Of course, a summary judgement against the Mc Broke’s might be about as collectible as Fred Goldman’s summary judgement against OJ Simpson too!

The best thing for the judge to do in what should be an open and shut case would be to award the victim one of the several mansions the Mc Broke’s bought with Dodger team money.

• sawxalicious - May 24, 2011 at 9:35 PM

I also hope that the Dodgers don’t get taken to the cleaners and don’t normally like lawsuits suing and indirect participant, but a message needs to be sent. Baseball games are supposed to be safe places to take your kids and have a good time. The Dodgers owners/marketers need to get their collective heads out of their wallets and understand that people are paying good money for entertainment, not to be beat up or bullied. I live in the Chicago area and sometimes go to U.S. Cellular field. The ballpark itself and the parking lot feel very safe and there are always a lot of security/police presence. That is until one leaves those areas, then you realize the ballpark was built in the armpit of the city. My point being, the White Sox built a park in a terrible neighborhood, yet make strides to successfully address security issues. The Dodgers ownership sounds like they were asleep at the wheel. While the guy the LAPD arrested caused this tragedy, the Dodgers management set the stage. Additionally, I think their team stinks.

3. uyf1950 - May 24, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Craig – a question for you. Obviously with the Dodgers financial situation being shaky at best. If the Dodgers declare bankruptcy or MLB takes the team over does he have any chance of collecting anything.

• Craig Calcaterra - May 24, 2011 at 3:08 PM

They have insurance. Or, if this isn’t covered, if and when McCourt leaves, MLB or the next Dodgers’ owner will have to pay.

4. bjavie - May 24, 2011 at 2:47 PM

I almost never agree with these types of law suits. It alwasy seems to me like “trying to make someone else responsible.” However, this one I can side with. It is obvious there have been problems with the Dodgers for a while and there is no reason to think, that with the financial woes, there was any additional monies being put towards providing a safe environment. I have read too much about the gang bangers taking over the upper levels and the scetchiness of the parking lots – all hearsay, I know. Nonetheless, may it be Minnesota, Tampa, New York, Houston, or anywhere, EVERY fan should have an expectation of security when walking to their car.

“Actually, there is no Hell. Although I hear Los Angeles is getting pretty close.” – Bob Diamond

5. halladaysbicepts - May 24, 2011 at 2:48 PM

I hope the Stow family drains the Dodgers of every last penny due to the tragedy that happen to this man at the hands of these thug fans outside their ballpark. From what I have read about the type of crowds that have assembled in the last several years there, they should probably have the National Guard outside of the stadium policing the area.

An INS presence might also be in order, as well.

It’s a shame, too, with all the Dodgers history that they have these thug fans taking over their ballpark and spoiling it for their good fans.

• heyblueyoustink - May 24, 2011 at 3:01 PM

INS eh? There’s something to be commended about the quotient of meathead lines that end up in your contributions my SPED friend……..

I think they’re busy otherwise……….that being said, the lack of a security chief and a history of documented problems should be all a jury needs……

• halladaysbicepts - May 24, 2011 at 3:14 PM

OK. You agree with security being the main issue. Fine. Let’s start there.

What can be done to solve the security issue? Additional police outside the park to start? Good thing.

INS at the ballpark. Not a bad thing, in my opinion. We know that California, specifically Los Angeles, has an illegal alien problem. This is nothing new. Heavy concentration? Can we agree on that? Maybe if INS set up a little station outside Dodgers stadium, it would act as a deterent for an illegal criminal. They will decide to simply not go to the game.

If you are legally here or a US citizen, there is nothing to worry abought, right?

See, that’s the problem in Los Angeles, as I see it, with all the gang violence in the area, it can be a dangerous place. Some, not all, of the people here illegally are not the best characters. Remember, they commited a crime by coming here illegally to begin with. What other crimes may they partake in as well?

• nixonotis - May 24, 2011 at 3:46 PM

You are aware how racist you sound, correct?

• halladaysbicepts - May 24, 2011 at 3:57 PM

nixonotis,

How’s is talking about illegal aliens being racist? illegal=not legal; alien=foreign to a land or entity. Where did I mention race?

To expound on the gang problems they have at Dodger’s stadium, I cite what Larry Bowa said after the Stow beating. Up intil the end of last year, Larry Bowa was the third base coach for the Dodgers for a few years under Joe Torre. Now, Bowa works for the MLB network, as well as a local sports station in Philly. After the Stow incident, Bowa, on the station, said that from when he played in the 1970′s and 80′s, until now, he noticed a change in the fan base at Dodgers Stadium. He cited a rise in gangs that attend the games and that surround the immediate area that can be hostile to not only opposing fans, but their own.

Now, are these gangs made up primarily of American citizens or could there be some illegals that could be involved with the fan behavior of the stadium?

It’s a question worth pondering as opposed to turning a blind eye to the possibility.

• heyblueyoustink - May 24, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Look at it this way……i’ll make this easy to wrap your head around…….a few INS crews, are going to try and deter thousands, maybe even tens of throusands if you consider the demographics of the area, of Latino’s how? every paying customer upon entry to the stadium must produce some form of ID?

No, i’d rather them catching the coyotes trucking these folks like cargo across the border….things like that…..

How about just making security legitimate and noticable…..you know how it is at CBP…..no INS needed…..and if you really think there’s entirely too much thug criminal element, and you want to “show” an organization for fear’s sake as a deterrent…….ATF, DEA……and if you know anything about either organization, you’ll know that’ll keep trouble makers more quiet than the INS ever could

• Phillies Homer - May 24, 2011 at 4:57 PM

The INS hasn’t existed since 2003… soooo, yea, there’s that.

• rotaryfone - May 24, 2011 at 7:00 PM

So the criminal element at Dodger Stadium is made up entirely of illegal aliens, is what you’re saying? There’s no way this beautiful country of ours could turn out any classless thugs or brutish gang members? Golly, I bet they don’t even stand for the national anthem!

• sawxalicious - May 24, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Bicepts:

I am no apologist for illegal immigration (hate it) and will never be a member of the PC Police (hate them). However, your INS comment erodes the credibility of your other comments. Yes, there are a lot of gangs in the Los Angeles area. Yes, many of the gang members are hispanic. I get that. What I don’t get is how you automatically make the leap to assume that a-hole at ballpark + L.A. = illegal immigrant. LA is plenty good at raising thugs from its own indiginous population. Most of the illegal immigrants come to make a living at a decent wage (though I would prefer they did it the legal way that my grandparents chose). Your comments makes you appear less than intelligent or ignorant (I prefer this word to racist, which I feel is overused).

6. baseballisboring - May 24, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Hypothetically…

7. blabidibla - May 24, 2011 at 3:05 PM

As a Giants fan that has been followed and harassed in the Dodger parking lot on numerous occasions, all power to the Stow family. Can’t even begin to pay back his pain and suffering, no matter what they get in court.

8. cup0pizza - May 24, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Ha a Phillies fan (ilickhalladysjunk) bemoaning fans from other cities. Everyone knows the Philly fans are the trashiest SOBs.

• halladaysbicepts - May 24, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Tell you what, if Halladay asked me to do that for him if it would guarantee another Phillies, I would.

• halladaysbicepts - May 24, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Edit to last comment:

Tell you what, if Halladay asked me to do that for him if it would guarantee another Phillies win, I would.

• bjavie - May 24, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Hey cup0pizza, I would bet a dollar against an hour with your mother that you’ve never even been to Philly. Keep talking your smack on Philly fans, we understand that jealousy is an evil bitch.

• thenoblebard93 - May 24, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Been there done that. The only memorable thing about philly watching to losers make out in some small park. Nope…it’s got nothing on the city by the bay :P

• bigdicktater - May 24, 2011 at 6:57 PM

‘cup0pizza’, that’s funny, I don’t care where you’re from!

9. cup0pizza - May 24, 2011 at 3:44 PM

An INS presence? You’re an idiot, ilickhalladaysjunk.

10. gemini1512 - May 24, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Stating fact does not make someone a racist. Halladaybicepts did not say anything implying his personal preference to a race or say anything that isn’t accurate.

• halladaysbicepts - May 24, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Thank you. Please see my response above and tell me if I’m out of line.

• nixonotis - May 24, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Was halladaybiceps already taken?

11. cup0pizza - May 24, 2011 at 3:58 PM

So you’re a racist AND you’d lick Halladay’s package……nice.

• halladaysbicepts - May 24, 2011 at 4:04 PM

See my most recent comment above and tell me if I’m out of line. And, yes, if Roy told me that doing so would guarantee another Phillies win, I would.

• cur68 - May 24, 2011 at 5:56 PM

‘bicepts; dude, please, I’m trying to eat some soup here and it keeps spraying everywhere when I read this stuff. Well done keeping your temper with that jacka$$ ‘pizza, btw. If anyone should be invited to eat a bag of d!cks it’s him, the idiotic little twerp.

12. dad2twins - May 24, 2011 at 4:25 PM

INS, eh? From a practical standpoint, I really doubt the LAPD is going to cede anything to them, in terms of jurisdiction. Not to mention, unless you want to make Dodgers Stadium look like a bad version of LAX (ie: really, really bad) with TSA style checkpoints, there’s no way a few agents are going to deter anyone in the vast parking lot. If LAPD SWAT “knocking” on your door for a little “chat” leading to a prison system known for its inmate death rate isn’t a deterrent, La Migre isn’t going to be any more.
    And National Guard? It takes a bit more than thugs at a ballgame to make an exception to posse comitatus.
    Tackling the gang/immigration nexus:
    There are certainly immigrant roots to many of the more violent gangs that currently reign in this area. But at this point, we’re looking at 2nd or 3rd generation, ie: citizens, born and bred into the gang culture, mixed in with whoever the coyotes got across the border. Trying to untangle that would be the spanish version of “I am Spartacus” or “I am Brian”.
    BTW, do all of you carry around proof positive of your citizenship? A passport, your naturalization papers or birth certificate? If you expect the INS idea to work, do you also carry your papers with you to a ballgame?

• halladaysbicepts - May 24, 2011 at 4:31 PM

You know what, your probably right. The only real secuity solution to the area around the stadium is probably a ten-fold increase in private security and LAPD. Then, just forward the bill for the increase of additional LAPD officers to the Dodgers and call it a day.

Hopefully, this will be enough.

13. florida727 - May 24, 2011 at 4:48 PM

With the caveat that I am not a California lawyer, generally speaking, the law is that a business owner owes a duty to patrons to take reasonable steps to secure the premises against foreseeable criminal acts of third parties. The key word there is “foreseeable.”
    ———————————————————-
    I’m not in favor of even more useless litigation that ultimately only benefits the attorneys, but in this case, I’d love to see the guy win. He won’t. Craig, “foreseeable” is only one of the key words here. The others are “reasonable steps”. Were there police on duty at the stadium? Yes. Were there enough to prevent this? Obviously not, but then again, in an opening day crowd of a packed stadium, you’d have to have one positioned every 100 feet around the stadium as people are leaving. Not practical.

Unfortunately for Stow, the Dodgers aren’t guilty of anything here. “Foreseeable criminal acts”? How many times in the history of major league baseball has an opposing fan come within an inch of his life at the hands of an opposing team’s fans? Sorry. Not that often. This doesn’t fall into the category of FORESEEABLE criminal acts.

I wish it did.

• nixonotis - May 24, 2011 at 5:31 PM

The severity of the beating has no bearing on whether or not the Dodgers were aware that there was a threat of violence on their property. There have been assaults there in the past and just because they weren’t this severe doesn’t make them any less of an indication that violence is a problem. So the Dodgers might have been liable if Brian Stow had been punched in the face because attacks of that nature had occurred in the past, but because he’s in a coma, and that hasn’t happened before, they bear no responsibility? Your logic is flawed.

• Craig Calcaterra - May 24, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Nixonotis: Certainly the severity of the injuries doesn’t change the legal standard. But to think that it wouldn’t impact the jury’s mindset is naive. Ultimately, whether the Dodgers took reasonable steps to protect fans is a judgment call by the jury. That judgment could easily be swayed by the emotion of the case. Ideally, juries don’t do this. In practice, they often do.

• nixonotis - May 24, 2011 at 5:50 PM

I agree 100% that a jury would be swayed by the severity of the beating. My point wasn’t that the severity of the injury would not have any effect on the trial, but that the fact that an injury this severe never occurred on Dodger property did not make these events any less foreseeable. Florida727 was, I believe, making the point that because prior incidents have been less severe and because innocent people are not often beaten into comas at baseball games, the Dodgers cannot be liable. That logic is, to me, completely nonsensical for reasons I was trying to outline above. I get the impression that you thought my “logic is flawed” argument was in reference to your statement that the brutal nature of the beating would influence a jury, something with which I wholeheartedly agree.

• purdueman - May 24, 2011 at 6:11 PM

I heard a live interview this afternoon with a trial lawyer on the Mason and Ireland Show here in LA and the lawyer said that in order for the Dodgers not to be held culpable there would have to be evidence that it was a mutually induced fight (i.e., both parties would have had to be willing participants).

Not only was the Giant fan followed from the stands, but he was then assaulted by THREE men, not just the guy charged with inflicting the most damage once the guy was down on the ground.

In addition, the mere fact that Frank Mc Broke fired the head of stadium security and his staff about a year prior to this incident and then didn’t replace them smacks of irresponsibility on the part of Dodger management.

I don’t get you bleeding heart liberals who think that he shouldn’t sue. When/if he’ll ever be able to hold down a job again and provide for his family is still in serious doubt, and he will have lost at least a years salary while racking up what I’m sure will be staggering medical/hospital bills.

I fully expect that his medical insurance company will also eventually file suit against the Dodgers in order to recover their losses (which are estimated to be approaching $1M at the LA Trauma Center Hospital alone), as well.

What further adds to the intrigue of this case is that Frank Mc Broke broke the Dodgers up into 26 different shell corporations (allegedly to hide the profits from his wife Jamie). That means that the Dodger Stadium parking lot is owned by a shell corporation that Frank is Chairman of that’s totally independent of the Dodgers baseball club. Hmmmm….

The lawyer then went on to compare and contrast this case to another pending case in which a toddler got seriously injured from falling out of a luxury box at the Staples Center. The lawyer said in that case, both the team and the arena will likely be indemnified with the company responsible for constructing the luxury boxes being held liable.

14. purdueman - May 24, 2011 at 5:47 PM

There’s an old saying: “You get what you pay for”. Back in the days when parking in the Dodger Stadium lot was still a reasonable $5, one could argue that for that relatively small amount a reasonable person shouldn’t expect anything more than a small staff of parking lot security people.

Now, however, with the soaring prices of parking at not only Dodger Stadium, but at many of the nations big city venues into the $15-$45 range, it seems to me like it’s logical for those paying that price to expect that their cars won’t be broken into or vandalized and that they won’t get jumped go to/from the stadium entrances/exits.

If I were an attorney, I’d further argue that due to the lack of available transportation to get to/from Dodger home games (i.e., no subway or rail lines), the Dodgers have an even bigger responsibility to make their parking lot safe, as it can’t be argued that “well, the fans made a conscious choice to drive and park in the stadium parking lot and as such assumed all of the inherent risks of doing so”.

I used to take my family to several Dodger games every season, but we stopped going all together after one too many bad experience there where the candy stripers who the Dodgers called “security” couldn’t have cared less about throwing out the morons in the stands. We’re not going back either, regardless of how much security the Dodgers deploy.

The ironic thing is that Dodger home attendance has been in free fall ever since they brought out a “show of force” after this incident (down around 7,000 per game now over last season). Seems that the gang bangers now mostly avoid Dodger Stadium because they don’t want to be around uniformed policemen (they might get recognized and busted on an outstanding warrant), and people like me have been SO turned off over the past 3-5 years that we’re not coming back.

15. shandbi - May 24, 2011 at 6:07 PM

INS? I didn’t know that everyone who engages in altercations were here illegally? Using good judgement, I would think that most are citizens… Oh, wait, I said ‘using good judgement’…

Altercations at baseball games isn’t something new. Brian Stow is still alive. A few years ago a dodger fan KILLED a Giants fan in the parking lot…KILLED.

At baseball games at the ‘Stick, in the 80′s I saw savage beatings taking place but since there were such small crowds you could just move and get away from the altercation. Sometimes the security would just let the idiots fight until they couldn’t any more and then haul them off. I’ve seen fights at Yankee Stadium, Angels Stadium, Oakland Stadium, etc…, and I don’t think the ‘INS’ not the Nat’l Guard (hahahahahahaha! Nat’l Guard! Leave them out of this, they’re too busy in Afghanistan) needed to be called for any of those incidents.

Passing judgement on ALL people of color is an ugly thing and unless you’ve lived in their shoes you probably should keep your mouth shut. You have NO precedence to judge.

• Reflex - May 24, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Its not just that, its also the fact that illegals as a community typically have lower crime rates overall. After all, they try to fly under the radar, committing crime is a good way to get sent back home.

• purdueman - May 24, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Mr. left wing liberal, to your point, that’s why the LAPD has their hands so full with mostly immigrant gang banger gangs, right? I mean, isn’t that “flying under the radar”, as you assert?

I guess everything that I read in the papers or see on the nightly news about the Vietnamese gangs that terrorize Garden Grove and Westminster and the black gangs that terrorize Compton and Stanton and the Mexican gangs that terrorize the Inland Empire must all be made up stories by the media?

I think that you should contact Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi’s office and volunteer to help her with her possible upcoming Presidential bid (I hear that Michael Moore, Susan Sarandon and Barbara Streisand are all already aboard!)!

• Reflex - May 26, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Um, what? You are bashing on blacks, Mexicans and Vietnamese. But the topic was illegal immigrants. I do not think there is any large black or vietnamese illegal immigrant populations, but as you point out they do have gang violence. Most poor communities do. Try the trailer parks of the south, or the poor communities of Appalacia. Plenty of crime and drugs.

Most violence such as you mention is tied to economic conditions, not race or legal/illegal status. Thats has been validated by study after study, and I’ll take the studies word over yours.

That you hear more about various minority groups speaks more to individual groups economic status than thier race or immigrant status.

• purdueman - May 26, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Mr. Bleeding Heart Left Wing Liberal: Just what color is the sky in your little Utopian world today?

• Reflex - May 27, 2011 at 2:06 AM

I’m sorry that facts and statistics get in the way of your racism.

16. jimeejohnson - May 24, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Mr. Right Wing Nut: 4 more years! You useful idiot Republicans vote against your own interests, unless of course you are a rich/corporate elite or shill (useful idiot). You twist words around to suit a reactionary agenda where hate and paranoia lay just below the surface but not quite far enough to fool some of the people all of the time. The point about “flying under the radar” was used to support the view that illegal immigrant communities avoid doing anything that would bring undue attention upon themselves. Blame those who taught you how to read, though: it’s the right wing NUT way!

17. lowfund - May 25, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Family admits Bryan Stow has Criminal Past

In response to rumors circulating about Bryan Stow’s violent past and criminal history the Stow Family posted the following comment on the Bryan Stow Fund website:

“News & Updates Sunday, May 22, 2011

‘there has been comments and postings regarding Bryan’s past. Bryan was not perfect…nobody is. In the years since, Bryan turned his life around. Regardless of his history, we ask that everyone refrain from posting any judgmental comments. Please be aware that we will delete ANY negative comment. Don’t forget to visit the store to show your support! ‘

Dave, Ann, Erin and Bonnie

Send your love>>”

• purdueman - May 25, 2011 at 8:57 PM

I don’t know how to take your post (that is, are you for or against Bryan? making others aware that he has a criminal past would indicate against, but posting the family’s plea would indicate that you are for).

That aside, only the “wallflowers”, nerds, bookworms and religious nuts who I grew up with in high school don’t have something in their past that they hope will never become public; the difference is, some of us got caught, but most of us didn’t.

Why do you think that we as a country continue to wind up with so many inept politicians? It’s because any of us who were adventurous or risk takers growing up don’t want the media to dig up something from our distant past and have it wind up on the front page of supermarket tabloid. Only idiots like Dan Quayle have nothing to hide, because they were born with a silver spoon in their mouth and have lived very cloistered lives.

No matter what this guys background is, it certainly doesn’t warrant being beat into a coma 3 on 1 simply for wearing another teams garb to another ballpark or stadium. We are after all only talking about a game you know.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3724)