Bud Black: “there’s room to talk” about moving the fences in at Petco Park

May 24, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT

Petco Park

I’m hesitant to say that Padres manager Bud Black would like the fences to be moved in, because it seems from the article that the subject was brought up by reporters — and has been so brought up multiple times recently — and that Black was trying to be a bit coy with respect to his true feelings.

But hey, when has my hesitation to say anything stopped me before? It sounds like Bud Black wants the fences moved in at Petco Park:

On Monday, Bud Black was asked what his stance was on moving in the PETCO Park fences.

“I think there’s room for discussion,” Black said, choosing his words carefully before taking a long pause and repeating himself. “I just think there’s room to talk about it in our park.”

Black didn’t expand on what he said, but he hasn’t been one to typically discuss the park’s dimensions, even to that extent.

This kind of talk always depresses me.  The park is the park and both the home team and the visiting team have to play in it.  It if depresses offense, hey, it helps pitching, and that’s something that has benefited the Padres in recent years. And, as has been mentioned before, the benefits could be more than merely turning a few bad pitches into fly outs instead of homers. It could help San Diego on the business side as they are able to court pitchers in need of a career rejuvenation to relatively low-dollar one-year deals that a lot of teams would love. Jon Garland anyone? Aaron Harang?

For the rest of us: variety is the spice of life. There were so many small parks built in the past 20 years that it’s nice to have a couple that play big.  Leave Petco alone!

1. joecool16280 - May 24, 2011 at 10:25 AM

No way! Change those darn fences man! Look, I’m a Giants fan but for the good of baseball they should do it. No free agent wants to go there to see his numbers plummet. I would think that the Fathers would get more revenue as well.

• sknut - May 24, 2011 at 10:46 AM

But isn’t the flip side a FA pitcher can go there and build better numbers. I say leave them alone, build your team around the park.

• joecool16280 - May 24, 2011 at 11:02 AM

In theory you’re right but that park has been there for a while and they cant figure out the formula. Maybe they just need a new GM who knows how to do it because he doesn’t. They need 1 ace and 2-3 #2’s just to be competitive.

2. rollinghighwayblues - May 24, 2011 at 11:22 AM

This reminds me of when the Rays lost the game due to the ball hitting the catwalk and Maddon going crazy afterwards saying the Trop sucks (which it does) but I agree, both teams play with the elements.

• oldnumero7 - May 24, 2011 at 11:29 AM

The difference is that Petco is just a big yard, while Tropicana is a goofy building in which baseball should not be played. I agree that Petco should be left alone, it’s not as though it’s the first extreme pitchers’ park in baseball or the worst hitters’ park in the game’s history. So you can’t bash a ton of home runs there–figure out a different way to win. There is no one formula for winning baseball.

• rollinghighwayblues - May 24, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Couldn’t agree more. I watched the last two innings the Padres game last night and while I don’t know the exact dimensions of LF at Petco, O-Dogs long fly ball would’ve been a game winning HR just about anywhere else.

• salvomania - May 24, 2011 at 1:35 PM

O-Dog’s long fly ball would only have been a game-winning HR anywhere else if those other ballparks can, in addition to having shorter fences, also magically add extra baserunners.

3. icanspeel - May 24, 2011 at 12:21 PM

As a Padres fan I say.. Leave the fences as they are. The problem isn’t the distance of the fences anyways. The reason the Padres can’t score at home is because they either try to hit a home run in a field not known for its home runs or they strike out. In fact the Padres lead the league in strike outs, what good will bringing in the fences do if you lead the league in strike outs?

• jamie54 - May 24, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Agreed. So your team stinks at home and now you want to move the fences. So what happens if they start winning are you going to move them back? So every year you’re going to manipulate the park, supposedly to your advantage? Remember, two teams play there every game. You move the fences for both teams so I really don’t understand the advantage it gives you. Other teams roll in and don’t seem to have problems. Problem with the Padres is the hitters, not the park.

4. Brian Murphy - May 24, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Is that closing exclamatory sentence supposed to be read with the same tone as “Leave Britney alone!”?

5. rollinghighwayblues - May 24, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Salvo, sorry I’m an idiot and thought they lost by one. *Game tying homerun would be correct. But I do like your ideas of magical additional baserunners, would they somehow resemble Ghost-runners?

6. ta192 - May 24, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Technical question: In the old days, you could just throw some chain link up, and, viola, shorter fences. I assume it’s more complicated these days, or is it?

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4120)