May 24, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Tony La Russa told Tom Krasovic of MLB.com that the idea is for Boggs to develop his secondary pitches while starting every fifth day at Triple-A, adding: “I expect him back this year and to play a major role.”
However, it sounds like that “major role” may still involve returning as a reliever, albeit a reliever with an improved changeup and off-speed stuff. Pitching coach Dave Duncan indicated that Boggs’ return date is undecided, as is his return role.
Still an odd move, but now at least it’s an odd move with some reasoning behind it beyond “he’s pitched poorly for the past week.” Boggs had a 3.66 ERA, .233 opponents’ batting average, and 19/4 K/BB ratio in 20 innings before the demotion.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)