May 24, 2011, 5:43 PM EDT
Matt Garza missed his scheduled Sunday start with a bone bruise in his elbow and today the Cubs placed him on the disabled list.
However, because the DL stint is backdated to May 18 the Cubs are hoping that Garza may only have to miss one more start, according to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune.
Randy Wells, who’s been on the DL with a forearm injury of his own for the past six weeks, will come off the shelf to replace Garza in the rotation.
General manager Jim Hendry called the bone bruise diagnosis “the best we could hope for” and the Cubs also got some good news after a second opinion on Andrew Cashner‘s injured elbow agreed that he won’t need surgery.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 23
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 52
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)