May 24, 2011, 5:43 PM EDT
Matt Garza missed his scheduled Sunday start with a bone bruise in his elbow and today the Cubs placed him on the disabled list.
However, because the DL stint is backdated to May 18 the Cubs are hoping that Garza may only have to miss one more start, according to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune.
Randy Wells, who’s been on the DL with a forearm injury of his own for the past six weeks, will come off the shelf to replace Garza in the rotation.
General manager Jim Hendry called the bone bruise diagnosis “the best we could hope for” and the Cubs also got some good news after a second opinion on Andrew Cashner‘s injured elbow agreed that he won’t need surgery.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 42
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 74
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 18
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (98)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)