May 24, 2011, 5:43 PM EDT
Matt Garza missed his scheduled Sunday start with a bone bruise in his elbow and today the Cubs placed him on the disabled list.
However, because the DL stint is backdated to May 18 the Cubs are hoping that Garza may only have to miss one more start, according to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune.
Randy Wells, who’s been on the DL with a forearm injury of his own for the past six weeks, will come off the shelf to replace Garza in the rotation.
General manager Jim Hendry called the bone bruise diagnosis “the best we could hope for” and the Cubs also got some good news after a second opinion on Andrew Cashner‘s injured elbow agreed that he won’t need surgery.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)