May 24, 2011, 5:43 PM EDT
Matt Garza missed his scheduled Sunday start with a bone bruise in his elbow and today the Cubs placed him on the disabled list.
However, because the DL stint is backdated to May 18 the Cubs are hoping that Garza may only have to miss one more start, according to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune.
Randy Wells, who’s been on the DL with a forearm injury of his own for the past six weeks, will come off the shelf to replace Garza in the rotation.
General manager Jim Hendry called the bone bruise diagnosis “the best we could hope for” and the Cubs also got some good news after a second opinion on Andrew Cashner‘s injured elbow agreed that he won’t need surgery.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)