Dennis Eckersley rips Brian Fuentes

May 24, 2011, 2:05 PM EDT

Dennis Eckersley

A guy who knows a thing or two about closing in Oakland — Dennis Eckersley — took to the airwaves today to tear Brian Fuentes a new one over his post-game comments last night.  And not just any radio station, but the A’s flagship station, Sports Radio 95.7 in Oakland.  John Shea of the Chronicle passed along Eck’s comments in several tweets:

“Weak. If you fail, you fail. You don’t throw the manager under the bus.  “You can’t say what he said. Period … He’s been around the big leagues too long to act like that … He makes a ton of money, and he’s not the greatest closer in the universe. So zip it … It makes him look bad. It just does. At the same time, it doesn’t show a lot of respect for the manager … If I’m the manager, he’s in my office. If that was La Russa, are you kidding me? He’d chop my head off. I would make a formal apology … Geren’s got to do something.”

This is one of those times when I actually do agree with the old timer who says “we didn’t pull that stuff back in my day.”

1. clydeserra - May 24, 2011 at 2:19 PM

“A’s manager Bob Geren said, “Fuentes tonight wasn’t sharp. Three days in a row, we pushed it a little bit.”

Geren said he had checked with Fuentes about his availability before the game, and Geren said that Fuentes is a veteran who knows his body well and who knows when he can go and when he can’t”

From May 4, 2011. I think this is where it starts Mr. Eckersley

2. cjlemire - May 24, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Wow. That many words from Eck, and not one of them was ‘cheese’.

3. Jonny 5 - May 24, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Getting ripped by Eckersley has got to suck when you’re a pitcher.

4. scatterbrian - May 24, 2011 at 2:43 PM

This organization has a real leadership problem right now. Starting at the top, Beane has been a no-show this season, and Geren seems to have lost the respect of his team…..assuming he ever had it in the first place. This has gone on far too long in Oakland, as it was also the case with Ken Macha.

• fquaye149 - May 24, 2011 at 4:30 PM

“Lost” closers? Sounds like…Oakland’s…got a discipline problem

5. uuddlrlrbastart - May 24, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Any time Dennis Eckersley’s name is mentioned, all I can think about is Mike Birbiglia’s standup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljGtjzyxVD8

6. APBA Guy - May 24, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Always good to hear from Eck.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2995)