May 24, 2011, 12:48 PM EST
Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that Detroit will call up prospect Andy Oliver to take Coke’s turn in the rotation Saturday, but in the meantime they’ve added left-hander Adam Wilk to the roster as an extra reliever.
Coke had been doing pretty well in his move to the rotation after three seasons as a full-time reliever, posting a 3.81 ERA in 52 innings, although his 1-5 record isn’t pretty and he’s managed only 5.2 strikeouts per nine innings.
Oliver, who missed a start at Triple-A earlier this season after he hurt his hand playing with a slingshot (seriously), ranked as a top-100 prospect according to Baseball America and has a 3.26 ERA with 48 strikeouts in 50 innings at Triple-A.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)