May 24, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that Detroit will call up prospect Andy Oliver to take Coke’s turn in the rotation Saturday, but in the meantime they’ve added left-hander Adam Wilk to the roster as an extra reliever.
Coke had been doing pretty well in his move to the rotation after three seasons as a full-time reliever, posting a 3.81 ERA in 52 innings, although his 1-5 record isn’t pretty and he’s managed only 5.2 strikeouts per nine innings.
Oliver, who missed a start at Triple-A earlier this season after he hurt his hand playing with a slingshot (seriously), ranked as a top-100 prospect according to Baseball America and has a 3.26 ERA with 48 strikeouts in 50 innings at Triple-A.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 3
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 30
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 14
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)