May 24, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that Detroit will call up prospect Andy Oliver to take Coke’s turn in the rotation Saturday, but in the meantime they’ve added left-hander Adam Wilk to the roster as an extra reliever.
Coke had been doing pretty well in his move to the rotation after three seasons as a full-time reliever, posting a 3.81 ERA in 52 innings, although his 1-5 record isn’t pretty and he’s managed only 5.2 strikeouts per nine innings.
Oliver, who missed a start at Triple-A earlier this season after he hurt his hand playing with a slingshot (seriously), ranked as a top-100 prospect according to Baseball America and has a 3.26 ERA with 48 strikeouts in 50 innings at Triple-A.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)