May 24, 2011, 6:41 PM EST
Mauer, who has been on the DL since April 14 with bilateral leg weakness, is set to appear as a DH on Wednesday. Nishioka, who suffered a fractured ribula on April 7, will make his debut Friday as a shortstop.
While Mauer is going to get into a game first, there’s a good chance Nishioka will beat him back to Minnesota. Mauer still needs to regain strength and stamina, whereas Nishioka mainly just needs to find his swing after a month and a half off. Nishioka is expected to play in about 10 minor league games. Ideally, both players would come off the DL in the first half of June.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)