May 24, 2011, 6:41 PM EST
Mauer, who has been on the DL since April 14 with bilateral leg weakness, is set to appear as a DH on Wednesday. Nishioka, who suffered a fractured ribula on April 7, will make his debut Friday as a shortstop.
While Mauer is going to get into a game first, there’s a good chance Nishioka will beat him back to Minnesota. Mauer still needs to regain strength and stamina, whereas Nishioka mainly just needs to find his swing after a month and a half off. Nishioka is expected to play in about 10 minor league games. Ideally, both players would come off the DL in the first half of June.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 16
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)