May 24, 2011, 6:41 PM EDT
Mauer, who has been on the DL since April 14 with bilateral leg weakness, is set to appear as a DH on Wednesday. Nishioka, who suffered a fractured ribula on April 7, will make his debut Friday as a shortstop.
While Mauer is going to get into a game first, there’s a good chance Nishioka will beat him back to Minnesota. Mauer still needs to regain strength and stamina, whereas Nishioka mainly just needs to find his swing after a month and a half off. Nishioka is expected to play in about 10 minor league games. Ideally, both players would come off the DL in the first half of June.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11