Josh Hamilton was disliked by “pretty much everyone” while playing for the Reds

May 24, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT

josh hamilton reds

John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer is one of the best beat reporters to follow on Twitter because he frequently answers questions from followers and provides information and context that otherwise might not appear in his articles.

Today is no exception, as he responded to a question about Josh Hamilton‘s one-season stay in Cincinnati by saying that … well, basically no one on the Reds liked him:

Wrote about many times. Other players didnt like him. Pretty much everyone, had a big-league attitude without having played in bigs, personal coach issue.

Perhaps not surprising, given Hamilton’s backstory at the time. Ironically, the Reds traded Hamilton to the Rangers for Edinson Volquez, who made headlines yesterday for ripping the lineup’s lack of production following a start in which he allowed seven runs. And then Volquez was demoted to Triple-A.

1. Senor Cardgage - May 24, 2011 at 5:23 PM

And now, years later, this is a story why?

• joshfrancis50 - May 24, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Because people keep bringing up how the Reds lost in the trade given Volquez’s problems and Hamilton’s MVP. He’s very active on Twitter and I’m guessing he’s getting pounded with questions. My guess is that Fay is probably just rationalizing the trade, but not defending. One thing about Fay, he makes it VERY clear he has no rooting interest.

2. halladaysbicepts - May 24, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Hey, Josh and I have something in common. Most people don’t like me either…

By the way, Aaron, couldn’t you have found another picture? He looks like he’s in the middle of a relapse in that picture.

• cur68 - May 24, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Most people don’t like you ‘bicepts? Really? I find that INCREDIBLY hard to believe…well FTR, I find you less objectionable than many others who post on here. Providing you don’t drink and post you can actually seem pretty reasonable and if not reasonable, funny enough that I look forward to reading your posts. Once you’re drinking and posting though…well then I’m glad its’ the interwebs….

• halladaysbicepts - May 24, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Ahhhh, cur68, I’m glad you love me again regardless of my Toronto/Phillies tongue-lashing I gave you last night. Sorry, buddy. Didn’t mean to be so harsh.

But, the posting and the beer flowing must continue. It gives me further insight into the game of baseball…

• cur68 - May 24, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Never didn’t love you brah; I take the interweb anger thing as abstract. Its largely meaningless and most people wouldn’t engage in it if they were face to face so I tend to discount it. Anyhow, you’re a Philly Phan which is like being a short-bus denizen; special needs all the way. Some of you are charming, some not so much. All of you are nuttier than skippy peanut butter, extra crunchy. Gotta love that.

Any ways, I busted your nuts pretty hard yesterday; I was probably due some hostility.

Easy on the beer & posting though, unless you can mange to stay jovial while drunk. Angry posting leads to hurt feelings.

• dmazzott - May 25, 2011 at 11:11 AM

you guys gonna get a room, or what?

• leftywildcat - May 30, 2011 at 8:08 PM

I always sense envy when I read criticism of the Phillies and of Phillies fans.

4 straight division titles, the best rotation in baseball, plus cheesesteaks, soft pretzels, Tastykakes, and Yuengling! What’s not to like? Criticism must be envy.

3. rich1117 - May 24, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Ahhh how I always love being reminded that we traded an AL MVP and absolute beast in Hamilton for the garbage that is Volquez……I will now light myself on fire

4. yankeesfanlen - May 24, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Is the picture that of Halladaysbicepts after 15 Yuenling’s?

• halladaysbicepts - May 24, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Axtually, that could be a picture to me after a 30 pack. I have a high tollerance, after all.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 24, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Rly? Clda foold mi!

• seattlej - May 24, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Then you must have been 30 beers in when you tried to spell “bicep”. . .

• ditto65 - May 24, 2011 at 7:25 PM

R U drinkin’ now?

5. metalhead65 - May 24, 2011 at 6:06 PM

will the reds stop at nothing not to admit they made one of the worst trades in major league history? so he wasn’t well liked to bad he was/is one helluva a baseball player and 10 times the useless piece of crap they got in return for him. and at the time he was the best player on the team so it sounds like they were either jealous or the reds are trying to cover thier tracks to make look like they had no choice to trade him.

• goldensombrero3000 - May 24, 2011 at 9:11 PM

You think its worse than the Frank Robinson trade? Of course the Reds could have been investigated by the FBI for trading for Joe Morgan which was the most lopsided trade in history. These things balance out over time. In the past couple years the Reds are on the favorable side of trades. Some that come to mind:

Hernandez for Freel
      Arroyo for Willy Mo Pena
      Rolen for Edwin Encarnacion
      Phillips for a dozen baseballs

There are others.

6. aceshigh11 - May 24, 2011 at 6:11 PM

He looks high out of his mind in that photo.

7. cintiphil - May 24, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Can anyone say Lou Brock for Ernie Who??? Maybe the same case here.

8. goforthanddie - May 24, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Wow. His current team seems to like him, respect him, and went so far as to alter their celebrations to allow for his continued sobriety.
    Oh well. Maybe he grew up. Or maybe the Bungles aren’t the only sporting joke in Cincy.

9. tartan1 - May 24, 2011 at 8:12 PM

There was a lot of clubhouse resentment regarding him having a personal caddy, who happened to be the Manager’s brother. Hamilton didn’t have to carry the beer on away trips, didn’t hang around much after hours (especially with Dunn and KG2) and was treated like a delicate flower by management. It’s easy to see where the bile came from.

10. xmatt0926x - May 24, 2011 at 9:11 PM

I’m not a Rangers fan so I don’t follow him regularly, but I’ve seen a few interviews and finding out that he was a jagoff when he was younger doesn’t shock me. He just seems like the kind of guy who has to work hard to contain his arrogance.

11. goldensombrero3000 - May 24, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Drew Stubbs is going to be a better player than Josh Hamilton. Ask Jimmy Rollins tonight.

• wlschneider09 - May 25, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Rrrriiiight.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2900)