May 24, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
It was just less than a month ago that the Cory Lidle wrongful death trial began. The claim, brought by Lidle’s family: that the manufacturer of the airplane Lidle was flying malfunctioned and was responsible for his death. Today the jury came back with a verdict. They did not agree. The FAA’s determination of the matter — pilot error — remains the only explanation adopted by anyone who has dispassionately considered the matter.
HBT Commenter Emeritus Old Gator is a licensed pilot with thousands of hours under his belt and has experience with the sort of plane Lidle was flying that fateful day in October 2006. His assessment, in comments last month, was as follows:
The scenario of an aircraft as relatively simple as a Cirrus going out of control due to a berserk Hall-9000 control system strikes me as too preposterous to take very seriously. This one has all the classic hallmarks of overreaching student pilot stupidity and an instructor who was asleep at the switch … I can tell you that any pilot who was trying to perform a 180-degree turn inside the Hudson corridor, below the level of the surrounding buildings, was doing something very foolish unless there was some kind of genuine emergency at hand – like, collision avoidance – and any instructor who would permit him to do so should have had his license yanked.
Cory Lidle’s death was a sad thing. But it would seem that his death was also the doing of his own errors and/or those of the flight instructor who died with him.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 90
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)