May 24, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Last week umpire Phil Cuzzi incorrectly called out Jayson Werth on a play at first base in the ninth inning of a 1-0 loss to the Mets, at which point Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo allegedly sought out the crew as they were leaving the field and had a verbal altercation.
Cuzzi filed a complaint against Rizzo and several Nationals players, and yesterday MLB handed down some punishments. Details are sparse, but Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Rizzo was “disciplined” and Ivan Rodriguez was fined “an undisclosed amount.”
Rizzo has yet to comment on the undisclosed discipline, but said previously that the incident with umpires was not a result of the blown call on Werth. If true that almost makes the whole thing sound worse, as it means he was seeking out umpires to scream at about something else.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29