May 24, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
Last week umpire Phil Cuzzi incorrectly called out Jayson Werth on a play at first base in the ninth inning of a 1-0 loss to the Mets, at which point Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo allegedly sought out the crew as they were leaving the field and had a verbal altercation.
Cuzzi filed a complaint against Rizzo and several Nationals players, and yesterday MLB handed down some punishments. Details are sparse, but Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Rizzo was “disciplined” and Ivan Rodriguez was fined “an undisclosed amount.”
Rizzo has yet to comment on the undisclosed discipline, but said previously that the incident with umpires was not a result of the blown call on Werth. If true that almost makes the whole thing sound worse, as it means he was seeking out umpires to scream at about something else.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)