That was quick: Reds send Todd Frazier back to Triple-A

May 24, 2011, 3:20 PM EDT

todd-frazier-reds Getty Images

Yesterday the Reds called up prospect Todd Frazier from the Triple-A and there was speculation about how much playing time he’d get and who he’d replace in the lineup. So much for all that.

Frazier appeared in last night’s game, striking out as a pinch-hitter, and was sent back to Triple-A this afternoon.

Mark Sheldon of MLB.com notes that the move was made largely because the Reds’ bullpen needed some reinforcements, but clearly they didn’t plan on giving Frazier an extended look anyway.

At least not right now. If the Jonny Gomes-Fred Lewis combination in left field continues to struggle it wouldn’t be surprising to see Frazier called up again soon and perhaps for good this time.

1. spudchukar - May 24, 2011 at 3:26 PM

With Stubbs and Bruce in CF and RF respectively, isn’t Heisey the more logical choice in LF?

2. Jonny 5 - May 24, 2011 at 3:30 PM

This kid is from Toms River NJ, and I think his brother was on a LL WS winning team too. He had a slew of people show up to see him in his debut. I’m guessing he probably grew up a Phillies fan, Or one of the Two NY teams since he’s from Toms river.

3. bigtrav425 - May 24, 2011 at 3:46 PM

i was at the tribe vs reds game this saturday and noticed Gomes was hitting 172 and in the 2nd spot..How the hell does someone batting 172 at the end of may bat 2nd….. i think its time they call someone up to replace him or give him some games off

• tribester - May 24, 2011 at 4:27 PM

He was the DH that game too, wasn’t he?

The Tribe called up Luis Valbuena on… Thursday, I think, and sent him back down the next day without entering a game.

4. rich1117 - May 24, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I know this is tough for Dusty because Gomes is great in the clubhouse and his teammates love him, hell I love him, but enough is enough. He looks totally lost when he’s at the plate swinging at everything but strikes. All the while, Heisey hits the cover off the ball everytime he’s in the game. Gotta make the move and give Heisey a shot to lock down LF….and do it quick please this losing streak is about to kill me.

5. cintiphil - May 24, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Boy, talk about moving up to the bigs for a cup of coffee and sent down again… The cup never even got cold. I suspect that he will move up again later in the year, if he can hit a little more than he does now.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3990)