May 24, 2011, 11:03 AM EDT
They’re not worried about his bat or his glove or his chi or anything like that. Just his health, as he has taken a lot of foul tips to the cabeza lately:
“He’s taken more than I’ve ever seen,” said manager Bruce Bochy, a catcher himself during his playing days with the Astros, Mets and Padres. “He’s getting enough shots that are hitting him pretty good that I’ve got concern.”
So what to do about that concern? One thing Bochy is suggesting is maybe Posey using a different mask, though it’s unclear whether the hockey mask he uses now is any worse than the traditional catcher’s mask when it comes to foul tip protection.
How about a position switch? Andrew Baggarly says in the article that that’s not so easy, what with Pablo Sandoval at third, Aubrey Huff at first and Brandon Belt waiting in the wings to take first base over when Huff is gone.
Maybe I’m just being dense here, but Belt has played in 29 games at AAA since being sent down and he has played the outfield in at least 24 of them. Think maybe that Buster Posey could handle first base then? Or, given how strong his arm is and the fact that he once was an infielder and is a pretty good overall athlete that he could maybe handle right field?
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 35
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 60
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)