May 24, 2011, 12:07 PM EDT
The last time we heard that the Mets were close to landing their sought-after minority investor — Steve Cohen — the deal went sideways. So it was try, try again and, according to the New York Post, they’re getting close once again:
Team ownership has chosen a preferred bidder — the group led by former commodities trader Ray Bartoszek and investor Anthony Lanza — and have been in advanced talks since last week on the proposed deal to sell up to a 49 percent stake in the money-losing team for $200 million, sources told The Post.
As always, there are still details to nail down. One, which could be an issue, is that apparently Bartoszek and Lanza want a piece of SNY. Which seems reasonable given that it makes tons of money and the Mets, at the moment anyway, not so much. You want equity, Fred, you gotta give up something of value, right?
According to the post, Wilpon wants this deal to close by June 30th. I’m assuming that date is important for fiscal year purposes, but given Wilpon, that could just be the release date of the next in-depth interview he gave and he wants to get out in front of things.
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 2
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 6
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 7
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 21
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 88
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)