May 24, 2011, 12:07 PM EDT
The last time we heard that the Mets were close to landing their sought-after minority investor — Steve Cohen — the deal went sideways. So it was try, try again and, according to the New York Post, they’re getting close once again:
Team ownership has chosen a preferred bidder — the group led by former commodities trader Ray Bartoszek and investor Anthony Lanza — and have been in advanced talks since last week on the proposed deal to sell up to a 49 percent stake in the money-losing team for $200 million, sources told The Post.
As always, there are still details to nail down. One, which could be an issue, is that apparently Bartoszek and Lanza want a piece of SNY. Which seems reasonable given that it makes tons of money and the Mets, at the moment anyway, not so much. You want equity, Fred, you gotta give up something of value, right?
According to the post, Wilpon wants this deal to close by June 30th. I’m assuming that date is important for fiscal year purposes, but given Wilpon, that could just be the release date of the next in-depth interview he gave and he wants to get out in front of things.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)