May 24, 2011, 5:04 PM EST
I’m not really a draftnik. Amateur baseball players are a far flung lot and it’s not easy to keep track of them unless you’re Keith Law or someone and it’s your job to keep track of them. With the exception of the Bryce Harpers and Stephen Strasburgs of the world, I usually begin to get to know prospects after they’re drafted, not before.
Bloodlines run strong in the Grand Old Game, and this year’s Draft has an intriguing group of young thoroughbreds champing at the bit to hear their names called in the big leagues’ favorite June post parade, which will be held from June 6-8.
The names jump out at any baseball fan who’s been paying attention over the past decades. From Bichette to Bonilla, from Boras to Bream, from Dunston to Garvey to Guillen to Pudge (well, Rodriguez), you’re going to see serious big league progeny over the rounds of this year’s draft.
Dwight Smith, Jr., the son of former Cub Dwight Smith, may be the headlining legacy case. Lateral moves are present as well, with the son of Wayne Gretzky also in the pool this year. Steve Garvey’s son Ryan is another notable, but save your jokes: Ryan is the son of Steve and his wife Candace Garvey and was born after all of that ugly business that popped up in the wake of his first wife’s autobiography. A shame, really.
I think the most fun, though, is Shane Boras, son of Scott. I don’t know how much of a prospect he is, but it would awesome if he were a stud, got drafted high and then held out until the 11th hour for a big bonus, represented by his dad, who kept dropping sound bytes about how awesome he was.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 89
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 42
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 31
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 24
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)