And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights

May 25, 2011, 5:56 AM EDT

Adam Jones

Orioles 5, Royals 3: Adam Jones with the walkoff two-run homer as Baltimore smacks Joakim Soria around. At least one doctor voiced concern about Soria after the game. Now, the doctor is a dermatoligst, not an orthopedist, and he was hundreds of miles away at the time and has never once examined Soria, but since it’s Rany Jazayerli, I kind of agree with him here. Kansas City has lost eight of ten.

White Sox 8  Rangers 6:  This was the scene in the fourth inning when they stopped play and started evacuating fans through the dugouts and through tunnels into the bowels of the stadium due to tornado warnings all over the Metroplex. To quote Ozzie Guillen’s Twitter feed yesterday, “This blepen tornado killing us my god.”  And then when that all died down — following a three hour delay — Carlos Quenten killed the Rangers with three home runs.  He is the fifth guy in less than two weeks to hit three homers in a game. Makes you wonder if it’s weather, as opposed to a new deadball era, that has depressed offense so far this year.

Athletics 6, Angels 1: David DeJesus hit two homers and the Angels could do bubkis against Guillermo Moscoso for six innings. Brian Fuentes was not asked to pitch. I assume that, because of this, he was comfortable and that his pyloric valve remained open due to the lack of a disruption to proper geometry and theology or whatever the hell it was he’s angry about the other night.

Yankees 5, Blue Jays 4: I follow a lot of New York Yankees fans on Twitter. It wasn’t intentional, it just happened that way. Some are men, some women, some my age, some barely out of college, some writers, some not. The common denominator: despite all of the success the Yankees have had over the years, despite all of the expectations and despite having every single reason in the world to be complacent, stereotypical New York fans, they all go into hilariously gleeful nerdgasmy fits when the Yankees do something like come from behind late. If it wasn’t over something as boringly corporate as the Yankees I’d say it was cute. But even if it isn’t quite cute, per se, it does sort of give me hope for the human race somehow.

Braves 2, Pirates 0: Jair Jurrjens shut the Pirates out over seven, upping his record to 6-1 and lowering his ERA to 1.56. Still kills me that all he cost the Bravos was the corpse of Edgar Renteria. Pfun Pfact: Dan Uggla, who was given the night off, was used as a defensive replacement in this game and actually represented a defensive upgrade. Neat!

Cubs 11, Mets 1: After this one, you have to wonder if Fred Wilpon isn’t going to find a reporter this morning and say “see, I had a point!”

Reds 6, Phillies 3: In my video chat with CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury yesterday we talked about the Phillies’ offensive outburst on Monday and about how Ryan Madson had really come into his own lately and grabbed that closer’s job for himself. So of course they come out on Tuesday and score only three runs and Madson gets lit up like a pinball machine. Prescience: we haz it.

Tigers 7, Rays 6: A real see-saw battle. And the fat kid jumped off when his little brother was up high, making him slam to the ground and start crying. Wait … lost my train of thought. Oh yeah, Alex Avila hit two homers, the second of which put the Tigers up to stay. Al Alburquerque got his first major league win. I know he’s from the Dominican Republic, but every time I hear his name I think of Nathan Arizona.

Rockies 12, Diamondbacks 4; Diamondbacks 5, Rockies 2: Losing Jorge De La Rosa for the year stinks, but at least the team won his final game, right? Eh, OK, maybe not much of a consolation. But Carlos Gonzalez did hit two dingers and drove in four.  In the nightcap it was all Dbacks, as Joe Saunders allowed two runs on six hits over eight innings.

Red Sox 4, Indians 2: Cleveland didn’t have any miracles on this night, nor did they have any answers for Josh Beckett (6.2 IP, 5 H, 1 ER). A two run homer by Jason Varitek helps Boston up its record to 15-7 in May, which is the best in the league.

Twins 4, Mariners 2: A complete game for Nick Blackburn.  What ended up being the winning run scored on a balk. All kinds of excitement here.

Dodgers 5, Astros 4: A Jerry Sands grand slam and a Jay Gibbons solo shot stand up and this time the Dodgers bullpen closes things out. Making his debut and striking out two out of the pen for Los Angels: Rubby De La Rosa, who I had the pleasure of seeing in Arizona during spring training. This kid has fanTAStic stuff, so keep your eyes on him.

Marlins 5, Giants 1: Ricky Nolasco shut out the Giants into the ninth inning but ran out of gas before handing it over to the bullpen. No worries, though, as Gaby Sanchez drove in three and Mike Stanton hit his 11th homer.

Cardinals 3, Padres 2: The Padres continue to be miserable on offense and miserable at home, getting two-hit in this one. Indeed, after a fourth inning hit by Chase Headley they were 0 for 19.

Brewers 7, Nationals 6: Milwaukee rallies from a 6-3 deficit in the seventh inning to take their 12th in the past 15 games. Jonathan Lucroy hit a homer and drove in the tying and winning runs on an eighth inning single.

1. Jeff J. Snider - May 25, 2011 at 6:12 AM

Would you trust a relief pitcher named Al Huffhines?

• Lukehart80 - May 25, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Well played, sir.

• cur68 - May 25, 2011 at 9:51 AM

No, but then over here you have favoritism…

2. Chris Fiorentino - May 25, 2011 at 6:38 AM

Three runs in six innings off Cueto is not bad. Problem was that Worley was very unlucky. Of his six hit, I believe five were broken bat bloopers. The four walks were disappointing but he was sweating his ass off in the 90 degree heat. He will get used to it. Uncle Cholly has yet to figure out the psyche of Ryan “Mad Dog” Madson. You have to keep him in his role. He is now a closer. That means he has to come into a game with a 1,2, or 3 run lead. I know that will offend the ears of Aaron and the rest of the anti-save guys but it is true about Madson. He is a creature of habit and his mind seems to be extremely fragile. Do ANYTHING out of the ordinary with him and it screws him up. It is human nature with him. I can’t explain it but it seems to be true. He wasn’t sharp at all coming into the tie game an it showed.

• paperlions - May 25, 2011 at 7:26 AM

It doesn’t offend ears, it is simply an illogical and baseless statement. Indeed, according to you he is such a creature of habit that having him close out games, which was a change for him, would screw him up. This falls squarely in the category of “making shit up”.

• Chris Fiorentino - May 25, 2011 at 7:52 AM

It’s so illogical and baseless, yet so true. I’m not looking for an argument, just saying that the guy has been pretty unhittable his last 7 appearances, which were all save opportunities in the 9th inning where he gave up 4 hits and 2 walks in 7 innings. Then last night he comes in, looks bad fielding a bunt, and when the bases are loaded, he throws an absolute meatball to Bruce, who proceeds to hit it off the right-center field wall. Madson just didn’t look as comfortable as he did the last 7 appearances. I guess he should be a robot and pitch the same exact way every single appearance, but I’ll never ever buy into that concept.

• spudchukar - May 25, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Co-mingling coincidence and causation. Fragile is not the mental make-up of a closer. Three runs off anybody in six innings is also not good.

• Chris Fiorentino - May 25, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Spud, I’ll take 3 runs off a guy who came in with a 1.45 ERA and was dealing the way Cueto was. If one of the Aces were pitching, the Phillies probably would have won the game. And if you want to call it coincidence, then that’s your prerogative. I call it fate ;)

And remember this…Madson was NOT a good closer until this year…I don’t care what anyone who doesn’t watch the Phillies on a day-in day-out basis says…Madson is a fragile pitcher. No amount of stat reading will tell you this…you have to watch him to know. I am speaking blasphemy to a stat geek, I know.

• spudchukar - May 25, 2011 at 10:56 AM

The “stat geek” accusation is fightin’ words Fior. This means WAR.

• Chris Fiorentino - May 25, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Do you mean Wins Above Replacement, WAR…or, er, war, WAR?

• spudchukar - May 25, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I thought the capitalization would be hint enough Fior.

• vintage1496 - May 25, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Or maybe he just had a bad game against one of the best offenses in the league? If any other reliever came in and put up the same performance, we’d be hearing about how Madson should have been brought in.

Game on the line, you put your best pitcher on the mound, and that was what happened. Can’t complain about that.

• Chris Fiorentino - May 25, 2011 at 9:25 AM

See, I disagree entirely in the case of Madson. But I guess it will always just come down to agreeing to disagree so it’s not worth the argument. But since I have been watching madson for the last 4 years, I have had a birds-eye view of his career outside of the stats. And what I see is a guy who needs to stay in the same role. Yeah, he’s done better as a closer this year. Why? Because he changed his approach. He doesn’t rush anymore. He walks around the mound when he doesn’t get a call. Cole Carlton has actually been doing the same thing. These guys used to get pissed off and overthrow when there was adversity.

Again, it’s definitely an “agree to disagree” argument. If you look at the stats, then yeah, he is your best reliever so put him in. Whatever. But if you look at the man, you may have a different opinion. Maybe not. All I know is that when I saw Madson warming up, I was hoping the Phillies would score in the 8th because I knew it would be trouble him coming into a tie game. What I really hope is that this doesn’t screw him up moving forward. We’ll have to wait and see I guess.

• vintage1496 - May 25, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Yea we wouldn’t want those pesky things such as “stats” or “facts” getting in the way of something as accurate as an opinion.

I agree that sometimes a gut feeling is correct and the numbers lie – whenever an idiot like Joe Girardi pulls out his book o’ numbers instead of using common sense, I can’t help but laugh at him – but that’s certainly not the case the majority of the time. Madson gave the Phillies the best chance to win last night, and I have to think Danys Baez or J.C. Romero would have done even worse.

• Chris Fiorentino - May 25, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Well, there’s something we can totally agree on…baez and romero would have been worse choices. I guess sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

• Jonny 5 - May 25, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Madson was probably the best choice. If we were looking for most eager to please? Well pictures say it best.

• Utley's Hair - May 25, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Worley said himself after the game that he didn’t have his best stuff and was gassed by the end—what with pitching very little since he was sent down to get stretched out. And Madson did look like the best choice, but he just got rocked last night.

3. uyf1950 - May 25, 2011 at 8:38 AM

The Yankees won, the Rays lost and Red Sox won. As the singer Meat Loaf (aka: Michael Lee Aday) would sing in a song “Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad”.

4. curr68 - May 25, 2011 at 8:39 AM

No HR’s for my dreamy Dominican Jose Bautista last night. I’ll have to settle for steamy images of his undulating glutes as he rounds the bases in my daydreams…

• deathmonkey41 - May 25, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Don’t let Bautista find out about that mancrush you have on Lind!

• cur68 - May 25, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Actually that’s me with the desperate yearning for Adam Lind. Note the extra ‘r’ in his handle. Little mini-curr up there is all about Jose, the wee scamp.

• spudchukar - May 25, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Cur, if you would have told me that Hill and Encarnacion would have a combined 0 HR as we near the 1/3 point in the season, and Toronto would only be a couple games out of first, I’d have taken it. Take Heart, the Jays offense should explode soon.

P.S.-Your welcome for the mini, moniker.

• deathmonkey41 - May 25, 2011 at 11:51 AM

I got that Cur68. I have to admit, I didn’t notice the extra R on the first comment about the Black Exploitation films, but once you responded, I got it. You got a fanbase, dude. Remember that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

• cur68 - May 25, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Yeah, he’s my own little mini-me spudchukar; I am indeed grateful for his designation. I feel so honored. None of you guys, with the possible exception of Fiorintino and his rash, have an eponymous co-poster. That’s cachet baby, right there.

5. Jonny 5 - May 25, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Craig pulls off the ultimate, a reverse double whammy on the Phills. Well guess what Calcaterra? It won’t work, the Phills will grind on with a mediocre offense then have flashes of awesomeness a few times a week winning PLENTY of games to land in the playoffs, see…. Yeah, that’s how it’s going to work, no matter how nice you are when talking about the Phillies. Now please go back to trashing them, and /or the fans at your earliest convenience. :P

6. Alex K - May 25, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Was that a “Confederacy of Dunces” reference about Fuentes? If so, well played.

• nyetjones - May 25, 2011 at 11:00 AM

O Fuentuna! Seriously, that guy is such a Toole.

And I enjoy imagining the world where one can use “pyloric valve,” “geometry” and “theology” in a sentence and *not* be making a CoD reference. :)

• Alex K - May 25, 2011 at 11:22 AM

It was pretty clear…I shouldn’t have had to ask.

I see what you did there, and I like it!

I can’t wait to see Fuentes wearing a hat with ear flaps and selling hotdogs dressed like a pirate.

• Alex K - May 25, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Should Fuentes have written his problems with his manager in his “Diary of a working boy” and then stages a revolt to show some minx in NY that he is far superior?

• mornelithe - May 25, 2011 at 11:43 AM

+1 for Carl Orff reference.

7. RickyB - May 25, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Apparently the quota for active De La Rosa’s in the big leagues is one. Rubby’s MLB debut is why Jorge is now out for the year. Balance in the universe and whatnot …

8. yankeesfanlen - May 25, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Had my tirade against Beep-beep (0 for5, GIDP) all set, but never mind, we won. THAT’s how he gets away with it.
    Only the second walk-off of the season- AJ gonna forget his pie recipe.Actually cake will be better.
    The only time I use Twitter (yankeeslen) is during a game. Didn’t know you caught on to our Twitter-ific tendencies. Our tweets can get as loud as the stadium.
    Surprised Girardi let CC have the 9th, thought he’d bring in THE FAT TOAD or something equally disasterous.

• proudlycanadian - May 25, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I wish that he had brought in the Fat Toad.

• cur68 - May 25, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Me too. Some Joba woulda padded the score very nicely. I was laughing when he sent in Jorge. Then I wasn’t. Seems all Jorge was doing was sitting 1st pitch fastball. Guess he knew his knittin’ because that’s what he got. That double was as a dagger in my tired old heart. Damn Yankees…

• deathmonkey41 - May 25, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Joba is bi-polar or something. He can go out there and strike out the other team’s best three hitters on 9 pitches or walk the #9 hitter who’s batting .143 and then give up a long double in the gap to the ball boy. Joba is not like a box of chocolates-although I think he enjoys them.

9. wonkypenguin - May 25, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Loved “nerdgasm.” I also would have probably had a heart attack if I’d been in Arlington and saw that coming and then realized I had a high chance of dying in the same place as Ozzie Guillen. One of those things would have been extremely disconcerting.

10. Justin - May 25, 2011 at 10:29 AM

A win is a win but Twins still sit in last place. Check out my recap right here http://minnesporta.wordpress.com/2011/05/24/blackburn-goes-the-distance-in-4-2-win/

11. spudchukar - May 25, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Daniel Descalso, you cannot stop him only hope to contain him. For the second night in a row he gets the clutch late-inning game winner. McClellan again dominates, allowing 2 hits through 6, no ER and no walks. Rookie catcher Cruz, bangs out 3 hits in his debut, Sanchez takes his turn closing the game out and the magic continues. Scrappy!

12. JB (the original) - May 25, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Anyone know why McClellan was pulled after 6 innings (75 pitches)? I didn’t see the game, but from all accounts he was cruising. Or is it just another TLR ‘need to make a personal impact’ move?

• spudchukar - May 25, 2011 at 12:33 PM

My guess is they are still concerned about his innings pitched totals, and the paucity of use the bullpen has been receiving lately. Similarly, Garcia got an early hook in his last outing, and I for one support the moves. It is a long season, we are playing the Padres, and unlike managers like Dusty Baker et al, the wise old sage Tony, realizes that while you compete like hell for each victory, it is prudent to save some ammo for later. And the gamble worked in both instances. Kudos LaRussa!

13. Old Gator - May 25, 2011 at 11:22 AM

In this season of cyclones, cancer and oblique injuries, the Feesh sallied west and took down the sunsetsiders in fine style. Gaby Sanchez continues to carry the team, but Omar Infante got on base four times and had a bunch of hits, which is really good to see. Now if only Hanley would catch fire. Meanwhile, the Iron Giant’s homer last night barely had enough on it to carry over the 399 mark in dead center field. I’m getting worried about him.

• Chris Fiorentino - May 25, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Stanton’s bomb probably would have traveled over Ashburn Alley in Citizens Bank Park

14. APBA Guy - May 25, 2011 at 12:34 PM

The A’s won one last night and nobody noticed, as all eyes were on the scene of Bob Geren waddling up the 13 steps to the guillotine as punishment for the sin of being too close to the all-powerful Beane. Fortunately the players, realizing that their only hope is to play well and get traded, decided to capitalize on a bad Haren outing and smack the ball around, hard, making for a refreshing change in the scoreline. Moscoso took advantage of an Angels lineup that only scares its own GM and overcame some understandable early stage fright to hold the Angels scoreless through six, making the A’s Sacramento replacement twins (Outman and Moscoso) scoreline 1 ER in 13 IP, good enough for 1 -1 in the A’s world.

15. tomemos - May 25, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Hey, Chris Fiorentino, your boy Soria is looking like every bit the stud you said he was, right? It’s like you said, when you’ve got an elite closer you should always invest everything you have in him, because once someone’s special enough to finish the 9th inning you have to lock him down.

Orioles turn AL East on its head