May 25, 2011, 7:56 PM EDT
Veteran pitcher Brandon Webb will throw a bullpen session Friday at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington to test the strength of his right shoulder.
If it goes well, according to Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, Webb will be sent to Double-A Frisco to make a rehab start on Monday evening.
The 32-year-old threw six solid innings Tuesday in an outing at extended spring training, allowing just one run while striking out six and issuing no walks. His fastball hit 84 MPH, up from the high-70s and low-80s readings that he was getting in April.
If Webb is cleared to report to Double-A Frisco on Monday, his 30-day rehab clock will then begin. He’ll have time to make five or six rehab appearances before the Rangers must make a decision about his future.
Webb hasn’t taken a mound in a major league game since the first week of the 2009 season.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)