Breaking: celebrities get special treatment by police

May 25, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT

steinbrenner in car

We often ridicule celebrities who pull the “don’t you know who I am?” card whenever they have run-ins with the police, but you can’t fault them for trying. Because, at least in New York, the police knowing who you are can be really, really helpful!

Star-struck cops have fixed tickets for big-time celebs, including Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez and former team owner George Steinbrenner, sources told the Daily News. Cops also made tickets disappear for three current City Council members, sources told The News. Two of the elected officials are from the Bronx and the third is from Manhattan. Cops even showed Brooklyn love, letting rap superstar Jay-Z’s driver off the hook for a speeding ticket, sources said.

When asked for comment about his traffic stop, Jay-Z said the incident occurred seventeen years ago and it was really a matter of him being young, being black and having his hat real low. At least he assumed so, because he is not a mind-reader.

As for A-Rod and Steinbrenner, I have this feeling that nixing their tickets was less about being star struck and more about avoiding the hassle involved with basically everything that has to do with A-Rod and Steinbrenner. I mean, the earful the officer on the scene took from Steinbrenner was probably bad enough that pursuing the $97 fine was totally not worth it.

1. drmonkeyarmy - May 25, 2011 at 10:03 AM

You are a funny man. I thoroughly enjoy your blog.

2. yankeesfanlen - May 25, 2011 at 10:05 AM

NYPD called me when these incidents occurred.
    For those not in the know, my response was “Leave ARod alone!”

• yankeesfanlen - May 25, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Besides, it was on the Joe DiMaggio Highway.

3. baccards - May 25, 2011 at 10:25 AM

I am shocked, utterly shocked, at these revelations

4. deathmonkey41 - May 25, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Because I’m sure an Atlanta cop has never fixed a ticket for a Braves player.

• atlsp - May 25, 2011 at 1:33 PM

I’m confused by this comment. Is this some Derek Lowe reference? Or are you trying to take a jab at Craig for being a Braves fan (even though he clearly wasn’t calling out the Yankees here)?

Regardless, loved the post and the “99 Problems” reference.

5. unconventionalidiot - May 25, 2011 at 12:27 PM

You notice they didn’t fix any Jeter tickets. No sir, when he got pulled over he felt so bad for breaking the law he paid double the fine. What a great guy!

6. skipp504 - May 25, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Craig, I didn’t know you were a fan of the Jigga Man. That line was classic, I hope people get it!!

7. PanchoHerreraFanClub - May 25, 2011 at 3:55 PM

The cops in Chicago having doing this for years. Every time a “celebrity” is stopped for a traffic violation, they give the officer a celebrity-get-out-of-jail-free card. These cards have a large picture of Ben Franklin in the middle of the front side.

8. bigdicktater - May 25, 2011 at 6:18 PM

“Free” is relative, right?

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto