May 25, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
We often ridicule celebrities who pull the “don’t you know who I am?” card whenever they have run-ins with the police, but you can’t fault them for trying. Because, at least in New York, the police knowing who you are can be really, really helpful!
Star-struck cops have fixed tickets for big-time celebs, including Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez and former team owner George Steinbrenner, sources told the Daily News. Cops also made tickets disappear for three current City Council members, sources told The News. Two of the elected officials are from the Bronx and the third is from Manhattan. Cops even showed Brooklyn love, letting rap superstar Jay-Z’s driver off the hook for a speeding ticket, sources said.
When asked for comment about his traffic stop, Jay-Z said the incident occurred seventeen years ago and it was really a matter of him being young, being black and having his hat real low. At least he assumed so, because he is not a mind-reader.
As for A-Rod and Steinbrenner, I have this feeling that nixing their tickets was less about being star struck and more about avoiding the hassle involved with basically everything that has to do with A-Rod and Steinbrenner. I mean, the earful the officer on the scene took from Steinbrenner was probably bad enough that pursuing the $97 fine was totally not worth it.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 32
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 20
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)