May 25, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
We often ridicule celebrities who pull the “don’t you know who I am?” card whenever they have run-ins with the police, but you can’t fault them for trying. Because, at least in New York, the police knowing who you are can be really, really helpful!
Star-struck cops have fixed tickets for big-time celebs, including Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez and former team owner George Steinbrenner, sources told the Daily News. Cops also made tickets disappear for three current City Council members, sources told The News. Two of the elected officials are from the Bronx and the third is from Manhattan. Cops even showed Brooklyn love, letting rap superstar Jay-Z’s driver off the hook for a speeding ticket, sources said.
When asked for comment about his traffic stop, Jay-Z said the incident occurred seventeen years ago and it was really a matter of him being young, being black and having his hat real low. At least he assumed so, because he is not a mind-reader.
As for A-Rod and Steinbrenner, I have this feeling that nixing their tickets was less about being star struck and more about avoiding the hassle involved with basically everything that has to do with A-Rod and Steinbrenner. I mean, the earful the officer on the scene took from Steinbrenner was probably bad enough that pursuing the $97 fine was totally not worth it.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)