May 25, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
This morning, in the the Bob Geren-Brian Fuentes Affair post, resident Athletics expert APBA Guy gave us a thumbnail sketch of what we can expect in Oakland for the next few months, from the front office, to the fans to the San Francisco Chronicle and everyone in between.
It’s scary because it sounds so very plausible. It’s also scary because I could totally see the Braves falling for that Coco-Crisp-is-an-idea-leadoff-man pitch. They don’t seem to care about OBP, after all. And hey: if Atlanta gets Crisp, they’ll be tied for the league lead in DUI defendants at two. Which is something.
Anyway, avert your eyes, A’s fans, because this could be your future:
The sense is that Geren has indeed lost the clubhouse, and that rumors of an impending Crisp trade (“He can too bat lead-off. Ignore that he has a .301 OBP, down 30 points from his career .331. You need CoCo Crisp.”) mean that once again, the Wolfe/Fisher/Beane cabal are throwing in the towel in May.
This endless loop horror show has been too much for even the hard core fans. Right now the Chron is just reporting the unrest, but once they turn it will be all over. And as the fans begin to digest that Fuentes is the highest paid pitcher on the payroll, and if Joey Devine can keep his early form up, Fuentes may disappear too, but that money won’t be reinvested this year, you’re going to see more unrest.
Then ultimately will come the announcement: “Regrettably, we have been unable to make the franchise viable in the Oakland market. Therefore, we have no choice but to relocate to _____ where we hope to succeed under our new manager.”
And very few will care.
- The Dodgers and Braves are deep into trade talks involving Juan Uribe and Alberto Callaspo 11
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 46
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 36
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 19
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 59
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)