Fred Wilpon apologizes to the Mets, but it’s not good enough for some

May 25, 2011, 8:47 AM EDT

File image of New York Mets chairman and CEO Fred Wilpon talking to reporters at a news conference in New York Reuters

Fred Wilpon was going to fly to Chicago to apologize to the Mets in person, but after talking to Terry Collins and other team officials about what made the most sense, he chose to avoid a possible media scrum and apologize via speaker phone to Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran and the Mets, who took the call in the Wrigley Field clubhouse.  According to the Daily News he called David Wright separately, as he is not with the team at the moment due to his injury.

So I guess our short regional nightmare is over.

Or not, because according to Mike Vaccaro in the Post, Wilpon needs to apologize to fans too.  Which I find kind of confusing because I’m not sure what injury his comments in the New Yorker caused them.  Were they under some Wilpon-fueled delusion that the Mets were championship contenders? And that this delusion was firmly in place until the moment the evil Wilpon let his guard down and revealed that — no! — the team was, in fact, “shitty?” Is that the betrayal for which Wilpon needs to apologize?

Seems like a stretch. Most Mets fans I know are more than familiar with the state of the team. And while they wish that Wilpon’s comments didn’t happen due to the distraction they have caused, I don’t get the sense that their substance represents an insult, the kind of which the angry season ticket holder Vaccaro quotes complains of.  If you bought what Wilpon has been selling for the past couple of years that’s your own fault bub. Anyone with a lick of sense knows that the team has been a mess for a while. The people who were actually harmed here were Beltran, Reyes and Wright, it seems.

Back to them: I did find one thing that Jose Reyes had to say rather amusing:  “he’s the boss and he can say what he wants to say.”  That’s right out of the Derek Jeter play book back when George Steinbrenner was running the show in the Bronx.  That little quote usually ended any Big Stein-inspired flap and, over time, diminished the significance of any given incident.

So, the lesson: if you want to sound off on your team, make a habit of it so that everyone can get into a good serve-and-volley rhythm, thereby defusing the story.

1. Chris Fiorentino - May 25, 2011 at 8:58 AM

I think it is stupid when the writers pull this whole “The fans are owed an apology” BS. Unless they are talking about the outrageous ticket prices or the price of a beer at the ballpark, this kind of thing doesnt usually affect the fans one single bit.

As far as the apology, eh, if those guys are OK with it, then who am I to complain…I’m just a spoke…a spoke on the wheel Donnie.

• Old Gator - May 25, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Chris, this is the New York Pestilence we’re talking about. Forget about its politics for a moment and just focus on its so-called standards of journalism, which exists in a trough of kitsch independent of most of its ideological posturing. These are a bunch of Rupert Murdoch whores, from headlines that would embarrass a National Enquirer copy boy to personal vendettas against ballplayers and managers whose virulence might have disquieted Michael Corleone. The only fans who really feel they’re owed an apology are the ones who are waiting for payouts from Picard’s clawback suit.

• mcchef - May 25, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Uhhhh…. “Forget about its politics for a moment…..”. Did your comment have anything that wasn’t politically motivated there?

• Old Gator - May 25, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Yeah, it was meant to distinguish my contempt for the Pestilence‘s politics from my contempt for its utter lack of journalistic integrity, the latter contempt being at issue in this case. The two are not necessarily interchangeable.

2. sdelmonte - May 25, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Glad to see that Jose bought Jeter’s book, “How to Survive Being a Shortstop in New York.” He can do a lot worse that emulate Jeter’s off the field demeanor.

FYI, while the Post had “Fred Faced” as its headline, the Daily News decided that even with ready made copy, “A-Rod Tix Fix” would sell more papers. I have no idea what that is referring to, nor do I care. I just find it funny that A-Rod continues to be NYC’s #1 sports villain.

• yankeesfanlen - May 25, 2011 at 9:56 AM

“ARod Tix Fix” is rather funny.Speeding on the West Side (Joe DiMagio) Highway and the cops let him off. What a frickin’ surprise! They used to let Geoerge off the hook, too.
      But I bet even Frenchy can go 82 on I-70 through Overland Park and get away with it.

3. Jonny 5 - May 25, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Maybe he does owe Mets fans an apology??? Just not for what he’s said, maybe for what he’s done to this team that’s in a very good market, with a very good fan base. He’s just showing his true colors in this case, but there’s plenty to apologize for I think.

• bennyblanco1 - May 25, 2011 at 9:41 AM

I appreciate your sentiment Jonny. But as a Met fan, I feel no need for an apology. This team may have fallen on hard times since 08, but this is baseball, things change quickly. Besides the Yanks, Sox and Angels, who has consistently made the playoff over the last 10 years. The Mets had some good teams over that span. 98-2000. 06-08. Besides the last few years where have the Phillies been since Joe Carter took Mitch William deep? Do you want an apology for all those years of poor play?

Wilpon made some comments he now regrets. But for the most part, his comments were accurate. Hopefully better decisions are coming.

• cur68 - May 25, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Shhhhhhh….don’t mention the Carter homer to Jonny too much; makes his oil pressure climb and he might spring a sump leak. He’s as delicate as a watch made of straw you know…

• Jonny 5 - May 25, 2011 at 10:32 AM

“Do you want an apology for all those years of poor play?”

You’re g-damn right I do…. ;) Well at least we could attribute it to the ownership not spending much money, instead of foolishly spending too much money. My point isn’t the win /loss records or poor play. It’s about how Wilpon has managed to run the Mets into financial ruin, basically he’s done “not much” since he’s owned the team. “3″ 1st place finishes in the NL east since 1980 (when he took over), not known for it’s strengths historically, while being one of the highest salaried teams in baseball. It’s not impressive.

• Jonny 5 - May 25, 2011 at 10:35 AM

CUR, on Carter, I know, you must cherish those lightning in a bottle seasons where a bunch of scrubs take it to the last series of the season. It just sucked to see that all end with a fancy pants prance around the bases. Unless you root for the Jays of course….

• Old Gator - May 25, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Ah, an apology for what he’s done to the team. Yes, that’s legitimate – like, “Sorry I kept Omar around so long even after it became apparent he was a clown,” or “sorry I left Willie Randolph, the classiest thing that ever happened to this team, hung out to dry like that.” Stuff like that, yeah, I could see an apology in the offing.

4. aceshigh11 - May 25, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Gordon Gekko, is that you??

“Incompetence, for lack of a better term, is good. Incompetence is right, incompetence works. Incompetence clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.”

• Old Gator - May 25, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Here in Macondo we worry about Tokay Gekko (Gekko gekko), an invasive, nocturnal, foot-long, purple-spotted lizard with a huge head, jaws and cat eyes and a propensity to hang upside down inside recessed patio lighting wells, waiting for moths to come to the light. Then, when the light burns out and you stick your hand into the well to unscrew it, the wretched beast bites your fingers with a loud >awrk!< (they're the only lizards with voices) and hangs on with the tenacity of a Cuban-American politician opposing the lifting of trade sanctions, and you have to submerge your hand, lizard and all, in a bucket of water to get him to let go of you. Hurts like a bitch, too. Here's a picture of the thing:

Aside from the Tokay, the other big pain in the ass here in Macondo is Danton's Toad (Bufo decadantus), whose croaking during mating season causes REM deprivation. Otherwise, this is paradise.

• APBA Guy - May 25, 2011 at 12:07 PM

That was hilarious. Somehow I envision you balanced on a lawn chair, one leg dangling into space, holding a Cuba Libre in one hand and reaching for the light bulb, Feesh game softly in the background, when…AWK!!!

• yankeesfanlen - May 25, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Could I possibly set up an import operation to bring them in to Jersey as Mosquito Repellents par excellance? See a big market, particularly at the northern Jersey Shore, and maybe have a tie in with a paid endorsement from Snooki.
        Don’t know what I’ll do with Harley while I store them in the garage- the cat eyes are a deal breaker.

• yankeesfanlen - May 25, 2011 at 12:14 PM

P.S. Market is saturated here already for FAT TOADS.

• cur68 - May 25, 2011 at 12:41 PM

“Tokay Gekko” eh? Sounds like a punk thrash metal band. Great logo that thing makes, too.

Funny thing though, Gator, I always envisioned you using your psychic powers to unscrew light bulbs and stuff.I guess it can cause a headache when you mentally reach for a bulb and grasp a Tokay by accident.

This is why you should golf; a bag how heavy metal weapons always ay the ready.

• Old Gator - May 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM

APBA: your reverie is uncomfortably close to reality. The only difference is that my cocktail of choice is a piña colada (or a carambola colada when my starfruit tree is flush). Having been bitten by one of these mamzas, I speak from experience.

Len: only a hatchling Tokay would bother to eat mosquitos. Big fat moths and beetles are more to their liking. However, I once kept a Tokay named Renfield loose in my kitchen when I lived in “student housing” (ie, slum) in Chicago years back to eat the roaches, which he did with gusto. The next tenant inherited him and for all I know he’s still in back of the fridge, happily munching away. Then again, he might have retired, moved to Florida, and been the one who nailed my finger thirty years later.

Beaver Boy: I concur with George Carlin’s assessment of golf. It interests me only slightly less than plumbing. As far as psychokinesis, at my age levitation is the only skill that it makes sense to learn, you know?

5. delawarephilliesfan - May 25, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Craig…..come on! You write:

“….according to Mike Vaccaro in the Post, Wilpon needs to apologize to fans too. Which I find kind of confusing because I’m not sure what injury his comments in the New Yorker caused them. Were they under some Wilpon-fueled delusion that the Mets were championship contenders?”

Ummmm, yes Mets fans were under that delusion, don’t you remember your own post:

I would like to take this opportunity to remind all Phillies fans of their solemn duty to remind Vaccaro until the end of time about his 2011 prediction. At this point, Harold Camping looks smarter than Vaccaro

6. rapmusicmademedoit - May 25, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Craig, you have to stop reading the Post, it’s DEAD !!!

If I had a clue the Post would be mentioned I would not have wasted my time.

Note to self, stop reading Craig Calcaterra.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act