Greinke’s arm, bat power the Brewers past the Nats

May 25, 2011, 5:22 PM EDT

Zack Greinke

Did you like that headline? Sounded just like a real newspaper article, huh? Never had one day of J-school!

Anyway, Zack Greinke, some may recall, was a pretty good prospect as a position player back in high school. He swung a nice bat and, indeed, many think he could have gone pretty far a hitter.

That was a long time ago, of course, but he got some wood on a ball today, hitting the go-ahead home run in the fifth inning of the Brewers-Nats game.  Oh, and since they pay him to pitch he did a little of that too, striking out ten dudes in seven innings of work.

This was the Brewers’ 13th win in the past 16 games.  Or their 27th in their last 50.  Or their 104th in their last 212th.  Remember, I didn’t go to J-school, so I never learned how to properly construct those littler sports reportery-sounding statistical blurbs.

The point stands, however: the Brewers are hot. And even if that four-team race so many of us predicted in the NL Central this year doesn’t materialize, we may very well have the makings of a pretty nice two or three team race soon.

Note: I am aware that the photo is blurry. Just as I’m pretending to be a real journalist for the purposes of this post, I think the AP photographer was pretending to be an artist. I kinda like it when they do that.

1. randall351 - May 25, 2011 at 5:27 PM

The photo is blurry.

2. uyf1950 - May 25, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Right about now how much do you think the Nationals Ownership is regretting that 7 year $126M contract they gave Jason Werth. Their in last place, their attendance in down versus last season and Werth’s numbers aren’t that great.

• skipperxc - May 25, 2011 at 5:37 PM

There’s no chance that signing was for this year. As soon as Strasburg went down, 2010 became a lost cause. The Werth signing could only have been for the years going forward, both as a show of, “we got a quality free agent once, we can do it again,” and as a lineup depth move behind Zimmerman and (eventually) Harper. Doesn’t make the cost of doing so less silly, but I’m not convinced he’ll fail to be what they wanted him to be.

3. fivetoolmike - May 25, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Hey, uh, Craig…I think you were one of the few who predicted a four-team race in the NL Central. I think most predicted a three-team race. Unless you’re Steve Berthiaume.

• fivetoolmike - May 25, 2011 at 5:49 PM

And I say that as a kool-aid drinking Cubbie-blue bleeding fan.

4. Brian Murphy - May 25, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Awesome photo.

But, if you want to follow the rules of the old-time newspaper guard, you never use “the” in a headline unless it’s part of a proper name. C’mon, Craig: Get your head out of your ass!

5. aceshigh11 - May 26, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Greinke got some wood?

Who does he think he is? Bubba Ray Dudley?

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4747)