May 25, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
Kevin Slowey seems unlikely to pitch for the Twins again, as basically the entire organization has been criticizing him publicly all week and both sides seem to agree that a trade is best for everyone involved.
Minnesota had planned to send him to Triple-A, where Slowey could resume starting while showcasing himself for a trade, but now those plans are on hold because he’s been diagnosed with an acute rectus abdominus strain and is expected to be sidelined for 7-10 days.
Instead of a demotion to Triple-A he’ll likely be stashed on the disabled list and then asked to embark on a lengthy minor-league rehab assignment, so the end result is more or less the same thing assuming the injury proves minor. Either way, I fully expect the Twins to trade Slowey as soon as possible and based on his track record as a solid starter there should be at least a few teams interested.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)