May 25, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Kevin Slowey seems unlikely to pitch for the Twins again, as basically the entire organization has been criticizing him publicly all week and both sides seem to agree that a trade is best for everyone involved.
Minnesota had planned to send him to Triple-A, where Slowey could resume starting while showcasing himself for a trade, but now those plans are on hold because he’s been diagnosed with an acute rectus abdominus strain and is expected to be sidelined for 7-10 days.
Instead of a demotion to Triple-A he’ll likely be stashed on the disabled list and then asked to embark on a lengthy minor-league rehab assignment, so the end result is more or less the same thing assuming the injury proves minor. Either way, I fully expect the Twins to trade Slowey as soon as possible and based on his track record as a solid starter there should be at least a few teams interested.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 3
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 81
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)