May 25, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Keppinger has spent the past couple weeks rehabbing in the minors, going 14-for-44 (.318) with one homer and just one strikeout in 11 games between Double-A and Triple-A.
Keppinger ranked fourth on the Astros with 575 plate appearances last season, supplanting Kaz Matsui as the starting second baseman while hitting .288 with a .351 on-base percentage and .393 slugging percentage.
Bill Hall has struggled as Houston’s primary second baseman, so Keppinger has a good chance to become a starter again immediately.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)