May 25, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Keppinger has spent the past couple weeks rehabbing in the minors, going 14-for-44 (.318) with one homer and just one strikeout in 11 games between Double-A and Triple-A.
Keppinger ranked fourth on the Astros with 575 plate appearances last season, supplanting Kaz Matsui as the starting second baseman while hitting .288 with a .351 on-base percentage and .393 slugging percentage.
Bill Hall has struggled as Houston’s primary second baseman, so Keppinger has a good chance to become a starter again immediately.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 62
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 8
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 215
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (215)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)