May 25, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Keppinger has spent the past couple weeks rehabbing in the minors, going 14-for-44 (.318) with one homer and just one strikeout in 11 games between Double-A and Triple-A.
Keppinger ranked fourth on the Astros with 575 plate appearances last season, supplanting Kaz Matsui as the starting second baseman while hitting .288 with a .351 on-base percentage and .393 slugging percentage.
Bill Hall has struggled as Houston’s primary second baseman, so Keppinger has a good chance to become a starter again immediately.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)