Jo-Jo Reyes ties a record: 28 starts without a win

May 25, 2011, 3:01 PM EST

Toronto Blue Jays starting pitcher Jo-Jo Reyes throws against the Houston Astros in Toronto.

The Yankees are beating up on the Blue Jays right now, thanks in large part to two Andruw Jones home runs. Enjoy them while you can, Yankees fans. Because if history holds, the Jays will sign Jim Leyritz before the next inning and he’ll totally shift the momentum.

Anyway, the more historically notable part of this game is that the Jays started Jo-Jo Reyes, and he was pulled after the third inning, trailing 5-0.  That means he won’t win, and that means that this will be his 28th consecutive start without a win. And that ties a record set by Matt Keough of the Oakland A’s.

Of course, if you have to match an infamous Matt Keough accomplishment, you could do way worse. I mean, I don’t figure that Reyes has a future as either (a) a serious alcoholic; or (b) incidental character on “Real Houswives of Wherever” in his future, so he’s got that going for him. Which is nice.

1. deathmonkey41 - May 25, 2011 at 3:03 PM

YANKEES!!!

2. yankeesfanlen - May 25, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Thanks, Proudly Canadian and cur 68, for the auto-win!

• uyf1950 - May 25, 2011 at 5:20 PM

My friend. I have a better one that the 28 starts without a win. How’s this for a possible. 18/19 months without a start from April 10, 2007 to August 23, 2008 Carl Pavano didn’t start, relieve or end a game while still be paid by the Yankees. It’s just my opinion but he should have been arrested for robbery.

• ryanmallettsbluntwrap - May 25, 2011 at 5:39 PM

• proudlycanadian - May 25, 2011 at 7:01 PM

He should have had 2 wins this year, but Rauch blew the save on both occasions.

• dirtyharry1971 - May 26, 2011 at 8:48 AM

new season, same old blowjays proudly? Just face it, they have very little and it wont be much longer until they go away forever and join the expos

3. sknut - May 25, 2011 at 3:16 PM

You have to be really bad /good to match that streak.

• Brian Murphy - May 25, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Mostly bad.

I don’t think a pitcher who matches that streak can be considered good by any metric.

4. Jonny 5 - May 25, 2011 at 3:18 PM

28 losses in a row? I wouldn’t totally rule out him ever becoming an alcoholic, not at all.

• isaidallo - May 25, 2011 at 3:28 PM

He didn’t lose 28 in a row, he just hasn’t won in 28 starts, so some losses and some no decisions….
      I don’t feel like looking through game logs, but I think it is only 12-14 losses in a row, still pretty depressing!

• nixonotis - May 25, 2011 at 3:30 PM

You get the dreaded thumbs down for beating me to the punch.

• nixonotis - May 25, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Nah, not losses, just 28 straight starts without a win. How Anthony Young was able to do what he did is beyond me.

• oregonbravesfan - May 25, 2011 at 3:31 PM

It’s not 28 losses in a row, but 28 starts without a win. Had he left this game before pitching 5 innings – regardless of the score – he could not qualify for a win. He also could have had the bullpen blow a few leads throughout the streak, or left a game or two with the score tied. I haven’t checked.

Regardless, not a good record to have and certainly a possible prelude to alcoholism!

• Jonny 5 - May 25, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Right, my bad (must choose words more betterer).

5. sdelmonte - May 25, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Brings back memories of poor Anthony Young.

6. pellypell - May 25, 2011 at 3:29 PM

He pitched well his last time out, before this latest outing. Damn bullpen blew it for him. He was well on his way up until that point. If not for bad luck, he would have none at all.

7. deathmonkey41 - May 25, 2011 at 3:47 PM

If memory serves me correctly- Anthony Young was a hard luck loser for a while. I think he would pitch like 9 innings, give up a run, and still lose. Then, I think after a while, the mounting loses just crushed his soul and took away his will to pitch.

• nixonotis - May 25, 2011 at 3:54 PM

“Then, I think after a while, the mounting loses just crushed his soul and took away his will to pitch”

With that sentence, you just convinced me to send him a fruit basket. Poor guy.

8. royalsfaninfargo - May 25, 2011 at 4:43 PM

wait!…andruw jones hit 2 homeruns today? shouldnt the daily news be doing a story about how he is/isnt juicing up?

• deathmonkey41 - May 25, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Not unless there is a new study showing that steroids cause you to strike out 17 times in 19 games with a smile on your face. God, I hate when he smiles…

9. uuddlrlrbastart - May 25, 2011 at 6:15 PM

“Lets put it this way for you Canadians , hate to shatter your dreams but as long as the Rays , Red Sox , and Yankees are in this division the blue jays won’t be doing anything. Sorry thats just the way it is.”

Let’s jump in the Way Back Machine all the way to 2007. When people were saying the exact same thing about the Rays being in the same division as the Yankees and Sox. So, no, it’s not the way it is.

10. baseballstars - May 25, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Major kudos for the Jim Leyritz reference – one of the most underrated clutch hitters ever.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester