May 25, 2011, 3:01 PM EDT
The Yankees are beating up on the Blue Jays right now, thanks in large part to two Andruw Jones home runs. Enjoy them while you can, Yankees fans. Because if history holds, the Jays will sign Jim Leyritz before the next inning and he’ll totally shift the momentum.
Anyway, the more historically notable part of this game is that the Jays started Jo-Jo Reyes, and he was pulled after the third inning, trailing 5-0. That means he won’t win, and that means that this will be his 28th consecutive start without a win. And that ties a record set by Matt Keough of the Oakland A’s.
Of course, if you have to match an infamous Matt Keough accomplishment, you could do way worse. I mean, I don’t figure that Reyes has a future as either (a) a serious alcoholic; or (b) incidental character on “Real Houswives of Wherever” in his future, so he’s got that going for him. Which is nice.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 39
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (95)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)