May 25, 2011, 3:01 PM EDT
The Yankees are beating up on the Blue Jays right now, thanks in large part to two Andruw Jones home runs. Enjoy them while you can, Yankees fans. Because if history holds, the Jays will sign Jim Leyritz before the next inning and he’ll totally shift the momentum.
Anyway, the more historically notable part of this game is that the Jays started Jo-Jo Reyes, and he was pulled after the third inning, trailing 5-0. That means he won’t win, and that means that this will be his 28th consecutive start without a win. And that ties a record set by Matt Keough of the Oakland A’s.
Of course, if you have to match an infamous Matt Keough accomplishment, you could do way worse. I mean, I don’t figure that Reyes has a future as either (a) a serious alcoholic; or (b) incidental character on “Real Houswives of Wherever” in his future, so he’s got that going for him. Which is nice.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)