Joe Blanton has elbow inflammation, shut down 3-4 weeks

May 25, 2011, 10:28 PM EDT

blanton wide Getty Images

The Phillies sent starter Joe Blanton to Dr. James Andrews on Wednesday in the hope of getting some answers about what is continuing to cause discomfort in the right-hander’s throwing elbow.

Those visits can sometimes lead to a recommendation of Tommy John surgery.

This one did not.

According to Danny Knobler of CBS Sports, Blanton will avoid surgery but can’t begin a throwing program for another 3-4 weeks. He will struggle to return to full health before the All-Star break.

Blanton has posted a 5.50 ERA and 1.57 WHIP in six starts this season as the Phillies’ fifth starter. Vance Worley has assumed that role for the time being and has pitched pretty well in a small sampling. With a stacked top four in the rotation and a lineup that is getting healthier, the Phils only need an innings eater.

1. kcq101 - May 25, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Bitter sweet. I want Worley to remain in the line-up and prosper. But short of a miracle or GM incompetence, there is no way the Phightins can market him as trade bait for a bat/middle relief with his compensation.

Hoping Worley does well in JB’s absence, I hope we don’t trade him away, given his promise and the risk that Oswalt retires.

Nonetheless, I wish Blanton good health.

• kcq101 - May 25, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Clarification: When I refer to “marketing him as trade bait, etc.,” I meant Blanton.

2. cup0pizza - May 26, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Blanton sucks anyway. Unfortunately, this is good news for Filthadelphia.

3. trigdaddy - May 26, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Its alright. We have Valdez

• kcq101 - May 26, 2011 at 1:49 AM

Epic. Aside from Oswalt’s left-field appearance, this was one of the more entertaining half-innings ever, from an “Ripleys Believe it or Not” perspective. Was it un-fan of me to wish for no runs on the Phil’s part, just so I could see Valdez pitch again? Perhaps. But that inning was too much fun.

• trigdaddy - May 26, 2011 at 1:57 AM

Well, it’s a game I will never forget. From Baez arguably pitching his best relief appearance in his career, and then seeing Valdez get Votto and Bruce out. Just great.

4. halladaysbicepts - May 26, 2011 at 7:40 AM

Post All-Star break return, my guess. Never want to lose a starting pitcher that can eat innings, as well as a lot of food, but, with the depth of the Phillies starting staff, we can easily absorb this for now.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate