May 25, 2011, 10:28 PM EDT
Those visits can sometimes lead to a recommendation of Tommy John surgery.
This one did not.
According to Danny Knobler of CBS Sports, Blanton will avoid surgery but can’t begin a throwing program for another 3-4 weeks. He will struggle to return to full health before the All-Star break.
Blanton has posted a 5.50 ERA and 1.57 WHIP in six starts this season as the Phillies’ fifth starter. Vance Worley has assumed that role for the time being and has pitched pretty well in a small sampling. With a stacked top four in the rotation and a lineup that is getting healthier, the Phils only need an innings eater.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)