The Padres season ticket sales staff is the best

May 25, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT

Customer Service Representative

Because I’ve never lived in the same town as a major league baseball team — blast! — I’ve never been in a position to buy season tickets.  I have heard tell of others’ adventures in the land of season tickets before, however, and I usually either hear about how (a) the team’s ticket sales staff is awesome; or (b) the team’s ticket sales staff if terrible.

Sports Business Journal decided to go beyond the anecdotal and to actually put the season ticket sales staffs to the test via the old mystery shopper routine.  The result: the Padres offer the best customer service. The Rockies, the worst. For those who care, the Yankees tied for third place. I mention that because I hear a lot of complaints from friends about the Yankees’ customer service. At least using SBJ’s methodology, those complaints are outliers.

As for that methodology: the SBJ shoppers called each team that had tickets available* and were trained to act disappointed at the price of the tickets offered or that certain tickets weren’t available, and the teams were scored on the alternatives the sales person offered, how they answered questions and that sort of thing.  I have no idea if that captures the essence of what customers truly care about, but it’s kind of neat anyway.

Not included here, but which is often a source of complaints: ongoing customer service for existing season ticket holders. Like a lot of enterprises, one gets the sense that teams are great at getting customers in the door with those initial sales, but then neglect the loyal customers later.  Personally, I’m way more impressed if you treat me well after I’ve given you my money rather than before.

*The Red Sox, Twins Cubs, Phillies and Cardinals weren’t included due to having no tickets available.

1. roycesweeney - May 25, 2011 at 10:45 AM

I can attest to the Padres season ticket staff’s ongoing customer service being great. Which is pretty amazing, considering that they’re probably encountering a lot of angry season ticket holders right about now. I can’t give these tickets away! (seriously).

• skerney - May 25, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Once i messed up on stubhub and bought the wrong game by accident (i bought friday but wanted saturday) I went to the padres ticket office and they exchanged them for me. They totally didn’t have to do that. I bought 2 season tix in 04 right before PETCO opened and even though my tix weren’t that expensive they treated me like I was buying the best seats in the house. It’s nice to be treated with courtesy and respect Kudos to the Friars for remembering that fans are important.

2. bluesoxbaseball - May 25, 2011 at 11:04 AM

The Reds’ customer service in the season ticket office is terrific. I couldn’t be happier with them and all the great promotions, benefits, etc. Last Saturday, I got to take a few batting practice cuts out on the field off of a live pitcher.

• professor59 - May 25, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Sure beats the alternative!

3. cup0pizza - May 25, 2011 at 11:26 AM

They probably need to be extra nice since the product they are trying to sell is complete garbage.

• b7p19 - May 25, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Come on man. Thats not nice. They won 90 games last year! OK, fine, they’re terrible. You don’t have to rub it in though.

4. jamie54 - May 25, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Because I’ve never lived in the same town as a major league baseball team —

Agree with that after living in SD for majority of the past 25 years…………ask your brother.

5. atlsp - May 25, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Nice find with the picture there, Craig. As a Braves season ticketholder, I can only wish my rep looked like that.

• Utley's Hair - May 25, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I wonder if she shows up to escort you to your seat when you arrive at the park.

6. opiedamus - May 25, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Did the SBJ actually purchase the tix or just tease the poor bas-turds?!? Did they think about the emotional toll they exacted on folks trying to make a living? At least when the mystery shoppers hit the restaurants,, they buy the meal and tip you on top of that so it’s not a total loss……(please note, there is an incredible amount of sarcasm met to be here..)

7. lilawatts - May 26, 2011 at 3:20 AM

Coupons using the website Printapons are visible on every page so that you don’t miss an opportunity to save!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4141)