May 25, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
We’ve heard the “Yankees suck!” chant for years. Indeed, we’ve heard it so much that it has basically lost all effectiveness as taunting, becoming noticeable only when it’s used in pathetic fashion, like say, at a New England Revolution-New York Red Bulls soccer game.
But it’s apparently a problem for the virgin eyes and ears down in St. Petersburg, because according to this story in the Tampa Tribune, Rays officials made a Rays season ticket holder remove his “Yankees Suck” t-shirt at a game last week because it allegedly constituted profanity. When the fan — a lawyer, natch — objected to the usher telling him to do so, he asked to talk to a team official. No Rays official would talk to him, so he’s now writing letters and talking to the media about it.
This is not the first time this has happened. I seem to recall a similar ban going on out in Seattle several years ago. There are likely others.
In other news, I never cease to be amazed at the kind of stuff that gets people worked up.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)