May 25, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
We’ve heard the “Yankees suck!” chant for years. Indeed, we’ve heard it so much that it has basically lost all effectiveness as taunting, becoming noticeable only when it’s used in pathetic fashion, like say, at a New England Revolution-New York Red Bulls soccer game.
But it’s apparently a problem for the virgin eyes and ears down in St. Petersburg, because according to this story in the Tampa Tribune, Rays officials made a Rays season ticket holder remove his “Yankees Suck” t-shirt at a game last week because it allegedly constituted profanity. When the fan — a lawyer, natch — objected to the usher telling him to do so, he asked to talk to a team official. No Rays official would talk to him, so he’s now writing letters and talking to the media about it.
This is not the first time this has happened. I seem to recall a similar ban going on out in Seattle several years ago. There are likely others.
In other news, I never cease to be amazed at the kind of stuff that gets people worked up.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)