May 25, 2011, 12:03 PM EST
We’ve heard the “Yankees suck!” chant for years. Indeed, we’ve heard it so much that it has basically lost all effectiveness as taunting, becoming noticeable only when it’s used in pathetic fashion, like say, at a New England Revolution-New York Red Bulls soccer game.
But it’s apparently a problem for the virgin eyes and ears down in St. Petersburg, because according to this story in the Tampa Tribune, Rays officials made a Rays season ticket holder remove his “Yankees Suck” t-shirt at a game last week because it allegedly constituted profanity. When the fan — a lawyer, natch — objected to the usher telling him to do so, he asked to talk to a team official. No Rays official would talk to him, so he’s now writing letters and talking to the media about it.
This is not the first time this has happened. I seem to recall a similar ban going on out in Seattle several years ago. There are likely others.
In other news, I never cease to be amazed at the kind of stuff that gets people worked up.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 10
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)