May 25, 2011, 12:03 PM EST
We’ve heard the “Yankees suck!” chant for years. Indeed, we’ve heard it so much that it has basically lost all effectiveness as taunting, becoming noticeable only when it’s used in pathetic fashion, like say, at a New England Revolution-New York Red Bulls soccer game.
But it’s apparently a problem for the virgin eyes and ears down in St. Petersburg, because according to this story in the Tampa Tribune, Rays officials made a Rays season ticket holder remove his “Yankees Suck” t-shirt at a game last week because it allegedly constituted profanity. When the fan — a lawyer, natch — objected to the usher telling him to do so, he asked to talk to a team official. No Rays official would talk to him, so he’s now writing letters and talking to the media about it.
This is not the first time this has happened. I seem to recall a similar ban going on out in Seattle several years ago. There are likely others.
In other news, I never cease to be amazed at the kind of stuff that gets people worked up.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)