And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights

May 26, 2011, 5:53 AM EST

Brooks Conrad

Braves 4, Pirates 2: All Brooks Conrad does is hit pinch-hit game-winning homers. Well, that and play soul-killing defense and occupy a roster spot that gives his team minimal flexibility despite having a number of injuries which scream out for a super utility player who can handle both outfield and the infield corners. But hey, I’ll accept that latter stuff if it means a couple of pinch-hit game-winning homers every year!

Phillies 5, Reds 4:  So wild, crazy and long that a little blurb doesn’t do it justice, so check out our longer writeup here.  At this point, the biggest takeaway from all of this is “Hey! Someone finally found a use for Wilson Valdez!” Dude just knows how to win (1-0, 0.00 ERA).  And the best part: after a six-hour game that ended at 1:19 AM, these two teams get together today at 1:05!  Cliff Lee and Homer Bailey: be prepared to go long today.

Marlins 7, Giants 6: The loss of the game is bad but it pales compared to the loss of Buster Posey to a leg injury in the 12th inning. The play looked clean as far as those sorts of plays go, but it was awful all the same. Posey being gone for an extended period is absolutely the last thing the Giants need.

Red Sox 14, Indians 2: No team that has eveh started 2-10 has evah won teh Wurld Seriez!!!11one11!  Know why? Because most teams that start off poorly are actually bad teams. The Red Sox are a good team that just so happened to start poorly, and now they’re not playing poorly anymore.  The past, it seems, does not control the future. There is something besides destiny determining how events unfold. How liberating.

Padres 3, Cardinals 1: Mat Latos, who looked deader than vaudeville earlier this spring, turns in his best start of the year thus far, giving up one run on six hits over eight innings while striking out seven. This one just screamed getaway day: it lasted two hours and four minutes, with both Cardinals and Padres pitchers throwing a total of 105 pitches.

Brewers 6, Nationals 4: I hit this one up yesterday afternoon. Short version: Zack Greinke hit this one up yesterday afternoon.

Astros 2, Dodgers 1: J.R. Towles wins it with an RBI single in the ninth. The back of that Dodgers bullpen? Needs more Rubby.

Rangers 2, White Sox 1: C.J. Wilson was effective and Neftali Feliz bent but did not break in the ninth, giving the Rangers their third win in four games. There were no evacuations.

Mariners 3, Twins 0: And with that, the Twins’ offense becomes more firmly entrenched as the worst in the American League. They still need to be wary of a challenge from Oakland and even these Mariners, but seeing them step up strong like this yesterday gives me full confidence in their ability to be the worst. But just so we’re clear: Thome: that “reaching base twice in four plate appearances” stuff is you not being a team player, get me?

Yankees 7, Blue Jays 3: Two homers for Andruw Jones in Yankee Stadium. John Smoltz gets the win. Greg McMichael, Denny Neagle, Terrell Wade and Brad Clontz combine to close it out. Tomorrow: Greg Maddux vs. Jimmy Key.

Orioles 9, Royals 2: One gets the sense that the wheels have done come off the Kansas City bandwagon. That’s nine of the last 11 in the loss column thanks to this fourth inning implosion in which Luke Hochevar gave up eight runs yet still survived it to pitch on because, you know, you go with what you know and who else is more used to giving up eight runs than Luke Hochevar?  Adam Jones had two hits and two RBI that inning.

Mets 7, Cubs 4: The Cubs had a 4-1 lead in the second when things started skidding sideways. RBI from Josh Thole and Carlos Beltran tied it up against Casey Coleman, so Mike Quade went to Jason Berg, who threw twelve consecutive balls, walking in two runs.  New York tacked on one more with a sac fly in the fifth before the rains came — well, got worse — and they called this one early. Which Mike Quade wasn’t happy about, but hey, the game was official and no one had to refund anyone any money so whose to complain? I mean, other than Quade, the Cubs players and everyone else. Dreadful weather, though.

Diamondbacks 2, Rockies 1: Ian Kennedy was once again strong, allowing one run on seven hits over eight innings. I saw some people tweeting last night about how the Dbacks stole four bases, but none of those steals led to runs so who cares?

Angels 4, Athletics 1: Torii Hunter and Alberto Callaspo hit back-to-back homers in the fourth, and that’s about all the offense you need against this A’s team right now.

Rays vs. Tigers: POSTPONED:  It was a dark and stormy night. Oh, wait. That was daytime. Wow. Scary. I can see why they decided to scuttle this one.

1. halladaysbicepts - May 26, 2011 at 7:32 AM

So tired this morning after watching the Phillies game last night. It was well worth losing sleep.

This really was a tale of two games. Roy Halladay in the first half, who wasn’t all that sharp for his standards (11 hits, 3 runs, 7 IP), and the second half, which was the Danys Baez/Wilson Valdez show.

Jimmy Rollins, for those last several innings, was playing such an unbelievable defensive shortstop l thought he was possessed. Without his glove, they don’t win the game.

Only downside in this game was Domonic Brown, who still continues to show me nothing at the plate. Pops up a ball in the infield late in the game with one out/bases loaded. I just don’t like his approach at the plate and his swing is way too long for my liking.

Now, to get ready for the 1:00 game in a few hours…we need Cliff Lee to work quick and go deep today. All of our bullpen and Wilson Valdez are cooked from this mornings game.

It’s time for the Phillies to put a final beatdown on the Reds today and take (3) out of (4).

• CJ - May 26, 2011 at 8:12 AM

after his superb pitching performance last night maybe you were right to think Valdez is using…

• halladaysbicepts - May 26, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Yeah, exactly. Guys that have never pitched before don’t come in and throw 88-89 mph just like that.

• Phillies Homer - May 26, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Agreed… an all fronts. Jimmy put on a leather show. And Domonic Brown looks lost. It almost appeared that he had his eyes closed while taking a few hacks. But, I think the best thing for him is to continue to face Major League pitching until he gets comfortable.

I think as it went into extras they announced that Kendrick, Romero, Herndon, Baez were the Phillies only pitchers left and my reaction was, “oh boy…” But everyone, sans Romero, stepped up big time. Especially Baez. He’ll get a pass the next few times he pitches!

If it wasn’t for Phillips getting picked off like an idiot by Romero, Reds probably go on to score in that inning. Would have had bases loaded and 1 out.

• halladaysbicepts - May 26, 2011 at 8:24 AM

I’ll tell you what, if I was a Reds fan, I would be detroying Phillips this morning for getting picked off. Phillips was too busy socializing with Rollins before he was caught sleeping…if I was Dusty, I would have benched him immediately for that.

Even after the play, Rollins and Howard were caught on camera laughing at him. Then, Rollins went on to make more laughter at their offense by robbing infield after infield hit.

• Old Gator - May 26, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Is there any kind of satisfaction a baseball fan can experience that compares to having lasted an entire marathon extra inning game into the wee hours of the morning, having consumed the last diet coke, the last sodium-infatuated dregs of Chex mix, the last Weight Watchers chocolate coated raspberry ice cream pop in the freezer?

No. There is not. Pat yourself on the back, fan. You’ve earned it.

2. droogleeddie - May 26, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Jimmy Key, what is he 45? I could hit him!

3. megary - May 26, 2011 at 8:39 AM

JoJo Reyes?

Nothing?

Thought for sure he was going to be your picture for the day.

• phukyouk - May 26, 2011 at 8:48 AM

LOL! me too.. but that yankees recap was pure win. thank you!

4. umrguy42 - May 26, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Man, Chris Carpenter cannot BUY a win this season…

5. yankeesfanlen - May 26, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Yanks season’s has become like yo-yo
    Good pitching, our hitting’s just so-so
    In many games do they score
    The two-ones are a bore
    But they still cream pitchers named Jo-Jo

• cur68 - May 26, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Yeah, Len, thanks. Wax lyrical over my pain. Great. spent the day at my Nephew’s high school graduation. His principal spoke like he was on heroin; he …. talked …. like … thiiiiiiisssss…. just maddening especially after we’d been sitting for 3 hours. I was really looking forward to the ball game I’d PVR’d. Little did I realize Freddy Garcia was on the same stuff the principal was on.

Freddy Garcia just wrote the book on how to pitch a bunch of guys who’re hacking for the fences. Nice…and …slow, see, nice….and sloooowwww….he shoulda been giving my Nephew’s grad speeches; he’d fit right in.

Damn Jo Jo Reyes. He threw meatballs. Never should have got the start. He needs a bigger park to be effective and Yankee Stadium is a shoe box to right field. They just pwned him. It really didn’t help with that phantom tag at second just when the Jays were getting something started. Do all umpires love them some Yankees or was this just random?

Can’t really pin this on the umps. The men of Beaverland did not hit when they needed to and got hit a lot. We really need Adam Lind back, like now.

• deathmonkey41 - May 26, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Yankees Stadium does have a short right field down the line, but Jones hit both of those out to dead center field- both well over 400 feet. Not many stadiums would have held those in their confines.

• cur68 - May 26, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Lemme mitigate the pain man! I reject your reality and substitute my own…damn short right field…

• deathmonkey41 - May 26, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Find- mitigate your pain, but where’s my relief when he goes down looking twice a game?!?!?

• cur68 - May 26, 2011 at 2:21 PM

‘death; a bunch of times this season the Jays will be playing the Yankees. There’s your pain relief.

6. Jonny 5 - May 26, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Last night’s PHI/Reds game didn’t even make any sense. Dany’s Baez better results than Roy Halladay? Chooch playing the infield? And the Phillies have a fourth closer too??? I was ready to give in and go to bed until I noticed Dany’s batting, or well trying to bat anyway. And I have to finally eat crow here. Dany’s, you can pitch well, I’m sorry for saying you can’t. You still haven’t made up for last season though, not yet. But for now you’re the man. I’m glad I stayed up to watch that one though. Watching nobody warm up for Philly after the 12th inning got kinda exciting ,just waiting. Which reliever will blow up first??? Then that place got rocking when Valdez came out and got not only Votto and Bruce out, but he also HIT SCOTT ROLEN. Which the Philly crowd just loved. Anyway, five levels of awesomeness after I decide to stay up for this and it’s a win.

• halladaysbicepts - May 26, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Good Morning, Jonny 5. And just think, after that exciting win last night, we have Mr. Lee going for us in a few hours, facing “Ryan Howard hit another Homer” Bailey!

• Jonny 5 - May 26, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Good morning…. Yeah, let’s hope these guys got their rest last night. Hey I just wanted to mention, give Brown a break, let him settle in a bit. He gets pitched to like Ryan Howard is pitched to (mostly junk stuff) and he’s got adjustments to make. I think he’ll be alright once he learns to adjust. I hope so anyway.

• halladaysbicepts - May 26, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Jonny 5,

The only thing we can really go by with Dominic Brown at this point is what we see. Just like Vance Worley. I hate when the media hypes these kids up before they have any modicum of success at the major league level.

Do I hope Dominic Brown turns into a stud? My god, absolutely! But I have seen so many great prospects disappoint. We just need to see more of this kid. I personally would play him everyday to see what we have, spelling him once or twice a week for Francisco.

• Jonny 5 - May 26, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Yup, that’s what needs to be done. Besides a few, who breaks out into instant success? Look at Ryne Sandberg and the goof up of a trade (in hindsight) that moved him from Philly to Chicago. He was pretty much below par with a bat when Philly traded him. Then what? Damn, is all the Phillies could say.

• deathmonkey41 - May 26, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Halladysbicepts- the media isn’t the only one hyping these kids up- organizations do it all the time to increase their trade value. The Yankees have been doing it for years. Besides the Jay Buhner fiasco- I can’t remember the Yankees really giving up a superstar for nothing. Guys like Eric Milton were nice players, but with the way he had been hyped up before the trade, you would have thought he was the next Cy Young.

• bigxrob - May 26, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Has anyone else seen enough of Romero? I have. 16 pitches, 4 strikes last night. It is painful to watch him pitch.

• halladaysbicepts - May 26, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Yeah. Enough is enough. Word has it there is a stong possibility Romero will be released today after they reactivate Contreras from the disabled list. The only other viable option is to send down Herndon to AAA again. However, if they do this, the could not recall him for at least another 10 days.

If Romero is released today, I will drive him to the airport.

• cur68 - May 26, 2011 at 10:40 AM

And the Yankees will collect him; you can bet on it.

• halladaysbicepts - May 26, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Just announced: Contreras just activated from the DL, Herndon to AAA.

I guess it was wishful thinking that Romero would have been released instead.

• deathmonkey41 - May 26, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Yankees don’t want that juice head hack!

7. sdelmonte - May 26, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Was expecting a Peanuts strip for that “dark and stormy night” link. Maybe next time.

Can’t say that Andruw Jones is a difference maker in the Bronx, but the signing does seem like a pretty good one.

8. sportsdrenched - May 26, 2011 at 9:54 AM

At what point can we put Luke Hochaver on lists with Ryan Leaf?

Since Jeff Francoeur has played well enough to not be the Royals Fan whipping boy, I’m going to make Luke Hocho-Ocho mine. (since he gave up 8 runs in an inning)

9. Justin - May 26, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Here is my recap for Twins fans (http://minnesporta.wordpress.com/2011/05/25/twins-bats-go-silent-as-mariners-take-series/)

10. spudchukar - May 26, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Knowing that a Seattle and Baltimore win today puts them both at .500, and Arizona sitting in second, makes me smile.

11. APBA Guy - May 26, 2011 at 1:31 PM

I watched the end of the Phillies/Reds last night, when Valdez came in in the 18th. Unbelievable that Votto could not take him deep. But the amazing thing about Valdez is that his pitches all had movement. And sitting 88-89 was about where pitchers threw 10 years ago. Best emergency fill in I’ve seen, not just from the results, but from the entertainment value.

And I’ll say this for the Phillies fans who stayed to the end, they were great: great noise level, obviously having fun, on their feet (maybe to stay awake), really impressive.

On the opposite end of the impressive scale, the A’s were shut down completely by Ervin Santana, sitting at 95 last night and spotting the corners at will. I actually have no problem with the A’s performance because when you are up against a pitcher who was as “on” as Santana was last night, you don’t have much chance. The White Rabbit made a couple of mistakes, 2 seamers that leaked over the middle of the plate, and he paid.

Of course, this all came after Bob “The Great Communicator” Geren’s closed door meeting with the team. We’ll judge how that went over the next few days.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester