May 26, 2011, 1:47 PM EDT
UPDATE: Posey has officially been diagnosed with a fractured left fibula and “severely strained” ligaments in his left ankle. It may be a longshot, but he could return later this season.
UPDATE: Now the Giants are terming it a fractured bone “in his lower left leg.” Depending on your definition of leg, that could include the ankle. Although at the moment it hardly seems to matter. Why? Because the Giants are now confirming that Posey is out for the year.
UPDATE: Mychael Urban of CSN Bay Area updates the earlier report, noting that the information about Posey’s broken bone — an ankle, not the leg — is based on x-rays performed at the park which revealed the fracture. The ligament tears are not yet confirmed, but will be looked at in today’s MRI. Earlier today Brian Sabean said of Amy Gutierrez’s report (below) that “it’s probably half right.” My guess is that he knows about the broken bone part but is unwilling to say anything about the ligaments until later.
11:30 AM: As I watched the Buster Posey play this morning I thought “man, he’s gonna have a broken leg. Or maybe some torn ligaments.” Of course those things aren’t mutually-exclusive, which is something we learned from CSN Bay Area’s Amy Gutierrez moments ago: Posey has a broken leg and torn ligaments. As everyone has been saying all morning: not good. It’s hard to see how his season isn’t over.
In response to Posey’s imminent trip to the DL, and Darren Ford‘s trip to the DL announced yesterday, Gutierrez reports that the Giants have called up Chris Stewart and Brandon Belt. Stewart fills the catching hole. Belt is the hope to fill in for the offense that Posey would almost certainly have been producing soon.
A bad scene for Buster Posey and the Giants. An opportunity for Brandon Belt. But one that no one, including Belt himself, likely wanted to have happen under these circumstances.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)