May 26, 2011, 1:47 PM EST
UPDATE: Posey has officially been diagnosed with a fractured left fibula and “severely strained” ligaments in his left ankle. It may be a longshot, but he could return later this season.
UPDATE: Now the Giants are terming it a fractured bone “in his lower left leg.” Depending on your definition of leg, that could include the ankle. Although at the moment it hardly seems to matter. Why? Because the Giants are now confirming that Posey is out for the year.
UPDATE: Mychael Urban of CSN Bay Area updates the earlier report, noting that the information about Posey’s broken bone — an ankle, not the leg — is based on x-rays performed at the park which revealed the fracture. The ligament tears are not yet confirmed, but will be looked at in today’s MRI. Earlier today Brian Sabean said of Amy Gutierrez’s report (below) that “it’s probably half right.” My guess is that he knows about the broken bone part but is unwilling to say anything about the ligaments until later.
11:30 AM: As I watched the Buster Posey play this morning I thought “man, he’s gonna have a broken leg. Or maybe some torn ligaments.” Of course those things aren’t mutually-exclusive, which is something we learned from CSN Bay Area’s Amy Gutierrez moments ago: Posey has a broken leg and torn ligaments. As everyone has been saying all morning: not good. It’s hard to see how his season isn’t over.
In response to Posey’s imminent trip to the DL, and Darren Ford‘s trip to the DL announced yesterday, Gutierrez reports that the Giants have called up Chris Stewart and Brandon Belt. Stewart fills the catching hole. Belt is the hope to fill in for the offense that Posey would almost certainly have been producing soon.
A bad scene for Buster Posey and the Giants. An opportunity for Brandon Belt. But one that no one, including Belt himself, likely wanted to have happen under these circumstances.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)