May 26, 2011, 2:37 AM EDT
UPDATE: Posey had an MRI and x-rays. Andrew Baggarly spoke with a team official afterward. The official didn’t reveal the results, but he said “not good.” Baggarly asked if the leg was broken. The response: “Not good.” That’s, well, not good. Not good at all.
2: 37 AM: 2010 NL Rookie of the Year Buster Posey suffered what appeared to be a serious injury to his lower left leg in a collision with Scott Cousins at home plate in the 12th inning of Wednesday’s game against the Marlins.
Posey’s injury looks like the story of the game, though. He was unable to put any weight on his left leg as he was helped off the field. It appeared his leg got trapped under his body as Cousins plowed into him, and the fear is that Posey’s ankle snapped as a result.
The video is here.
If Posey is going to miss a couple of months, it will be interesting to see if the Giants decide to check out Bengie Molina‘s availability. Molina, a longtime Giant, was made expendable by Posey’s arrival last year and got traded to the Rangers as a result. At least initially, the Giants would go with Eli Whiteside as their starting catcher and likely add Chris Stewart as a backup.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)