May 26, 2011, 2:37 AM EDT
UPDATE: Posey had an MRI and x-rays. Andrew Baggarly spoke with a team official afterward. The official didn’t reveal the results, but he said “not good.” Baggarly asked if the leg was broken. The response: “Not good.” That’s, well, not good. Not good at all.
2: 37 AM: 2010 NL Rookie of the Year Buster Posey suffered what appeared to be a serious injury to his lower left leg in a collision with Scott Cousins at home plate in the 12th inning of Wednesday’s game against the Marlins.
Posey’s injury looks like the story of the game, though. He was unable to put any weight on his left leg as he was helped off the field. It appeared his leg got trapped under his body as Cousins plowed into him, and the fear is that Posey’s ankle snapped as a result.
The video is here.
If Posey is going to miss a couple of months, it will be interesting to see if the Giants decide to check out Bengie Molina‘s availability. Molina, a longtime Giant, was made expendable by Posey’s arrival last year and got traded to the Rangers as a result. At least initially, the Giants would go with Eli Whiteside as their starting catcher and likely add Chris Stewart as a backup.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)