May 26, 2011, 2:37 AM EST
UPDATE: Posey had an MRI and x-rays. Andrew Baggarly spoke with a team official afterward. The official didn’t reveal the results, but he said “not good.” Baggarly asked if the leg was broken. The response: “Not good.” That’s, well, not good. Not good at all.
2: 37 AM: 2010 NL Rookie of the Year Buster Posey suffered what appeared to be a serious injury to his lower left leg in a collision with Scott Cousins at home plate in the 12th inning of Wednesday’s game against the Marlins.
Posey’s injury looks like the story of the game, though. He was unable to put any weight on his left leg as he was helped off the field. It appeared his leg got trapped under his body as Cousins plowed into him, and the fear is that Posey’s ankle snapped as a result.
The video is here.
If Posey is going to miss a couple of months, it will be interesting to see if the Giants decide to check out Bengie Molina‘s availability. Molina, a longtime Giant, was made expendable by Posey’s arrival last year and got traded to the Rangers as a result. At least initially, the Giants would go with Eli Whiteside as their starting catcher and likely add Chris Stewart as a backup.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 16
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 49
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)