May 26, 2011, 2:37 AM EDT
UPDATE: Posey had an MRI and x-rays. Andrew Baggarly spoke with a team official afterward. The official didn’t reveal the results, but he said “not good.” Baggarly asked if the leg was broken. The response: “Not good.” That’s, well, not good. Not good at all.
2: 37 AM: 2010 NL Rookie of the Year Buster Posey suffered what appeared to be a serious injury to his lower left leg in a collision with Scott Cousins at home plate in the 12th inning of Wednesday’s game against the Marlins.
Posey’s injury looks like the story of the game, though. He was unable to put any weight on his left leg as he was helped off the field. It appeared his leg got trapped under his body as Cousins plowed into him, and the fear is that Posey’s ankle snapped as a result.
The video is here.
If Posey is going to miss a couple of months, it will be interesting to see if the Giants decide to check out Bengie Molina‘s availability. Molina, a longtime Giant, was made expendable by Posey’s arrival last year and got traded to the Rangers as a result. At least initially, the Giants would go with Eli Whiteside as their starting catcher and likely add Chris Stewart as a backup.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)