May 26, 2011, 2:37 AM EDT
UPDATE: Posey had an MRI and x-rays. Andrew Baggarly spoke with a team official afterward. The official didn’t reveal the results, but he said “not good.” Baggarly asked if the leg was broken. The response: “Not good.” That’s, well, not good. Not good at all.
2: 37 AM: 2010 NL Rookie of the Year Buster Posey suffered what appeared to be a serious injury to his lower left leg in a collision with Scott Cousins at home plate in the 12th inning of Wednesday’s game against the Marlins.
Posey’s injury looks like the story of the game, though. He was unable to put any weight on his left leg as he was helped off the field. It appeared his leg got trapped under his body as Cousins plowed into him, and the fear is that Posey’s ankle snapped as a result.
The video is here.
If Posey is going to miss a couple of months, it will be interesting to see if the Giants decide to check out Bengie Molina‘s availability. Molina, a longtime Giant, was made expendable by Posey’s arrival last year and got traded to the Rangers as a result. At least initially, the Giants would go with Eli Whiteside as their starting catcher and likely add Chris Stewart as a backup.
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 15
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 14
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 36
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 44
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)