May 26, 2011, 9:39 AM EDT
All of the whispers have had Frank McCourt not making payroll at the end of the month. And of course, if that happens, he probably loses the Dodgers. It’s kind of like the plot of the Blues Brothers but, you know, totally not fun.
But apparently McCourt played a big house show last night, collected the money and drove 106 miles to Chicago, because according to Bill Shaikin in the L.A. Times, McCourt has got the money and will meet payroll.
I’m giving serious consideration about putting together a betting pool as to how he came up with the $9.8 million. A bank job? Did his number come in? Did he mortgage Vin Scully? There’s not a ton to work with there.
Anyway, this is good news for McCourt, but probably only good news of the short term variety. Because, you know, he has to meet payroll again in June. And as Shaikin notes, it will be way harder because the Dodgers owe Manny Ramirez a big deferred compensation payment on top of the usual monthly bogey.
Of course it’s possible that McCourt could just give Manny a suitcase full of green Post-it-Notes with dollar signs drawn on them in black Sharpie marker. It would probably take a couple of months before Manny got suspicious, what with him being a big picture guy and everything. And only then because the soda machine won’t accept one of the Post-its in the bill feeder.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)