May 26, 2011, 9:39 AM EDT
All of the whispers have had Frank McCourt not making payroll at the end of the month. And of course, if that happens, he probably loses the Dodgers. It’s kind of like the plot of the Blues Brothers but, you know, totally not fun.
But apparently McCourt played a big house show last night, collected the money and drove 106 miles to Chicago, because according to Bill Shaikin in the L.A. Times, McCourt has got the money and will meet payroll.
I’m giving serious consideration about putting together a betting pool as to how he came up with the $9.8 million. A bank job? Did his number come in? Did he mortgage Vin Scully? There’s not a ton to work with there.
Anyway, this is good news for McCourt, but probably only good news of the short term variety. Because, you know, he has to meet payroll again in June. And as Shaikin notes, it will be way harder because the Dodgers owe Manny Ramirez a big deferred compensation payment on top of the usual monthly bogey.
Of course it’s possible that McCourt could just give Manny a suitcase full of green Post-it-Notes with dollar signs drawn on them in black Sharpie marker. It would probably take a couple of months before Manny got suspicious, what with him being a big picture guy and everything. And only then because the soda machine won’t accept one of the Post-its in the bill feeder.
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 8
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 11
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 21
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)