May 26, 2011, 6:18 PM EDT
With Buster Posey absent from the middle of the lineup, the Giants managed just five hits today and never put together much of a threat. Only in the first inning did they have multiple hitters reach base.
Posey’s replacement, Eli Whiteside, went 0-for-2 before being removed for a pinch-hitter.
Ryan Vogelsong was the hard-luck loser for San Francisco, dropping his first decision despite going a season-high eight innings. He lowered his ERA to 1.77 and demonstrated one more time why it’s going to be impossible to shift him to the bullpen once the injured Barry Zito is ready to return.
Sanchez went the distance for the second time this season. He took a no-hitter into the ninth inning of a 4-1 win over the Rockies on April 22. He became the first Marlins starter to pitch a shutout in a 1-0 game since A.J. Burnett in 2005.
The Marlins are now 29-19. They’re even with the NL East-leading Phillies in the loss column, though they have two fewer wins. No other NL team has a better record.
The Giants fell to 27-22 with the loss. Even after the sweep, they remain two games up on the Rockies in the NL West.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights