May 26, 2011, 6:18 PM EDT
With Buster Posey absent from the middle of the lineup, the Giants managed just five hits today and never put together much of a threat. Only in the first inning did they have multiple hitters reach base.
Posey’s replacement, Eli Whiteside, went 0-for-2 before being removed for a pinch-hitter.
Ryan Vogelsong was the hard-luck loser for San Francisco, dropping his first decision despite going a season-high eight innings. He lowered his ERA to 1.77 and demonstrated one more time why it’s going to be impossible to shift him to the bullpen once the injured Barry Zito is ready to return.
Sanchez went the distance for the second time this season. He took a no-hitter into the ninth inning of a 4-1 win over the Rockies on April 22. He became the first Marlins starter to pitch a shutout in a 1-0 game since A.J. Burnett in 2005.
The Marlins are now 29-19. They’re even with the NL East-leading Phillies in the loss column, though they have two fewer wins. No other NL team has a better record.
The Giants fell to 27-22 with the loss. Even after the sweep, they remain two games up on the Rockies in the NL West.
- J.A. Happ is thriving with the Pirates 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 44
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 68
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 149
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (150)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)