MLB, MLBPA donate money to tornado victims

May 26, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT

Joplin, Missouri Reels After F5 Tornado Devastates Town, Kills 125 Getty Images

Just got a press release announcing that Major League Baseball and the MLBPA are joining together to contribute $200,000 toward relief efforts for tornado victims in the Midwest and the Southeast. The funds from MLB and the MLBPA are being donated to Heart to Heart International, a Kansas City-based organization that has been helping with disaster relief in the wake of this spring’s storms.

MLB Network is going to run promos and stuff in support, seeking donations and assistance.  If you can, please consider helping out.

1. halladaysbicepts - May 26, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Classy move by MLB. God knows these people need all the help they can get.

As a side note, I hope Roy Oswalt does not use this as an excuse to ask the Phillies for another week off so he can leave to assist with the cleanup on his excavator/bulldozer again.

• Vincent - May 26, 2011 at 3:59 PM

What is wrong with you?

• halladaysbicepts - May 26, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Do you know who Roy Oswalt is and what incident I’m refering to, or is that over your head?

• Vincent - May 26, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Let me answer your question with a better question– what is the name of the muscle in your upper arm that starts with a B?

2. Jonny 5 - May 26, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Awesome move.

Sidenote. This is why I love living in South Jersey. Hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, Volcanoes, I only know of these things when I’m told about them. We only worry about the other drivers here.

• yankeesfanlen - May 26, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Floyd II will come getcha. What station (AM) are the Phillies on?

• Jonny 5 - May 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM

1210

• sportsdrenched - May 26, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Odds of being in a tornado in OKC, the most often hit Metro Area in the US? 1 in 1500. Odds of being in a tornado in Wichita, Kansas? 1 in 2000.

Odds of being injured in an auto accident 1 in 40, Death from auto accident 1 in 80.

So, while this spring has been deadly and distructive from a Severe Weather stand point. Driving is still the most dangerous thing anyone does.

Good play by MLB and MLBPA.

• Jonny 5 - May 26, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Why can’t i just ignore the facts in peace drenched? Why must you ruin my ignorant bliss? Well I’m off to my long drive home, on the death making highway, that will surely kill me one day..

Wait!! you didn’t average all natural disasters, just one!! Ignorant bliss can continue for now……

• Utley's Hair - May 26, 2011 at 4:22 PM

And odds of being injured or killed driving in Jersey are just about even.

• sportsdrenched - May 26, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Sorry for sarcasm kill. Usually I joke around about this stuff. But people consistantly misplace their fear.

…but since when do people make decisions that aren’t influenced by emotion?

3. royalsfaninfargo - May 26, 2011 at 8:19 PM

dear craig,
    I am a relatively new reader and a brand new commenter. I love this site, its the best baseball blog around. I have one tiny request. Please do not become a shill for MLB the way another site on NBCsports.com has become a mouthpiece for the NFL. You will probably never see this, but if you do: Great work, man! Please keep your independence!
    Sincerely,
    royalsfaninfargo

• yankeesfanlen - May 26, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Don’t worry about that, you’ll soon see the snarkiness deveop. I’ve been hanging around this dump enough to know the only thing you have to worry about are Phillies and Yankees fans.
      You do, howevver, need to be hazed: Cake or Pie? Believe me, there is a WRONG answer!
      Say hello to Frenchie for me.

• royalsfaninfargo - May 26, 2011 at 8:47 PM

ive always been more of a pie man myself.

• yankeesfanlen - May 26, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Well, wrong answer but you can hang anyway. It’s cool having someone from the AL Central not complaining about the Twinkies.
        Hate it when those big-markey know-it-alls take over.

• Utley's Hair - May 26, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Hey, fargo, welcome to HBT. Unfortunately, due to your answer to Len’s question, you have been placed on probation—exactly what that means has yet to be determined.

Now, just remember that there are trolls hiding under this here bridge to the Field of Dreams. Under no circumstances are you to feed the trolls. Well, unless you feed them pie, that is. :P

• Craig Calcaterra - May 26, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Don’t listen to them. This is a pie-first blog. Always has been, always will be. The cake dead-enders are here only because I’m a tolerant dude. But really, I’d ban the lot of them if followed my impulses.

Pie4Lyfe.

• Vincent - May 26, 2011 at 10:28 PM

I never got hazed… but then again, I never announced my arrival to HBT. I also tend to hide in the shadows since my wit isn’t nearly polished enough to hang with most of you… I am but a simple man, a quiet Force presence.

• Vincent - May 26, 2011 at 10:29 PM

oh and welcome, fargo! how rude of me…

• Utley's Hair - May 26, 2011 at 10:41 PM

CAKE RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• cur68 - May 27, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Cake is the food of virtue. Pie is the food of the unwashed masses. All things cake-y are good. All things pie-y are automatically tools of Satan.

If you know what’s good for you, change to cake. If not, remain where you are; someone will be along to collect you shortly.

• Craig Calcaterra - May 26, 2011 at 8:47 PM

No worries, royalsfaninfargo. I have no intentions of becoming a shill. I get tons of press releases from MLB, most of which I ignore because I don’t have much interest in becoming their promotional arm. When it comes to newsy things, however, and the occasional philanthropic endeavor such as this, I do highlight them on occasion.

And just so you know, I read every comment that comes in to this site, and I take them seriously. Thank you for your input. Please, relax and stay a while.

• royalsfaninfargo - May 26, 2011 at 8:50 PM

will do sir, will do!

4. Jonny 5 - May 26, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Everyone of sound mind knows pie has no superior. Cake wishes it was as good. This is why cake lovers created a pie of cheese and named it cake. YOU AREN’T FOOLING ME THOUGH! Now where’s that tin foil hat off to?

• Utley's Hair - May 27, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Mmmm…KandyKakes….

• Jonny 5 - May 27, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Another invention of the cake lover’s guild. Their secret propaganda machine churns out things like this to confuse the masses and give cake a higher stature than it deserves. See Kandy Kakes are really candy covered cake (basically a reeses peanut butter cup cross bred with a cake), and if it weren’t for that covering that is ohhhh so delicious i’d have a tiny bit of pound cake, which is just not as good as pie by a long shot. You cakanese are a wily bunch.

• Utley's Hair - May 27, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Mmmm…chocolate KandyKakes…after they’ve been in the fridge for a while…or the freezer for 10 minutes…mmmm…damn, I think I’m drooling…

• Jonny 5 - May 27, 2011 at 10:32 AM

They have dark chocolate ones now UT. And they are even better. I like mine in the fridge.

• Utley's Hair - May 27, 2011 at 12:04 PM

I like dark chocolate, but not with anything else. It has to just be like a Hershey’s Special Dark. I wasn’t too fond of the dark M&Ms, either.

Three legends off to Cooperstown